Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 08:36 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I always wanted a cocker spaniel but you don’t hear much about them these days. I think there was a problem with inbreeding that caused health issues. Hopefully that is sorted out.
I've had two Cockers and they were both great dogs. I've also had two grand-Cockers. (I still have one of them.)[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 01:42 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaidClad View Post
I absolutely adore Golden Retrievers, even if they shed a lot and drool a lot. Two reasons why I would never have them again is their weight and life span. I would very much love a dog which we can bring with us with ease on our walks. I also lost our Golden Retriever while at 6 years old, and the pain was too much.
When I was walking my mother-in-law's Golden, the dog lay down on Tudor City Place and refused to get up. She also had a short life span.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Both of them have fierce dispositions. I prefer to admire and pet other people's dogs than walk any in all kinds of weather. So I love dogs; would not have them.
Are you saying Golden Retrievers have fierce dispositions?

I guess any dog can be an anomaly, but my experience with Goldens are that they're big happy love bugs who want to be lap dogs, unless you have a tennis ball. lol

Old 11-28-2023, 02:07 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I love huskies. I think they're great dogs, for someone else. They're beautiful, and I love how they sing/talk.

But I've always heard they need a firm hand...and that kind of person is not me. I'm a soft marshmallow hearted dog lover, and my dog is spoiled.

From what I understand, you can't be that way with a huskie.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:14 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Belgium Malinois

Old 11-28-2023, 02:45 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Are you saying Golden Retrievers have fierce dispositions?

I guess any dog can be an anomaly, but my experience with Goldens are that they're big happy love bugs who want to be lap dogs, unless you have a tennis ball. lol
You hit the nail on the head. Tennis balls would not consider them to be friendly. Nor would people being hit by their tails, or people whose laps have their heads dropped on them.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:21 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Beagle. Love the looks but not the character traits.

Disclaimer - favorite dog is the German Shepherd. Love the looks AND all of the character traits from intelligence to trainability to loyalty. Endless shedding is my only negative for GSDs.

Get a mix! One of early jobs as youth was dog care for various neighbors. My favorite was Beagle Shepherd mix. Exceptionally smart (figured out multiple ways to escape neighbors yard) great disposition / personality and was great suburban squirrel dog. It had soft brown floppy ears black and brown overcoat with white paws and underbelly. It was only dog my mom would ever allow in our house. My mom called him "Prince Charlie"- its name was Charlie- and he truly had a regal bearing.

Looked a lot like this image

Last edited by ciceropolo; 11-28-2023 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 11-28-2023, 06:25 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I love Goldens, but we're done with having big dogs and hair!

I also love Border Collies. They are amazing dogs... so intelligent but need too much exercise and stimulation.

With that being said:

We've had 2 Labs... great family dogs. Our sons grew up in the country with a Lab. She followed them everywhere, like a babysitter.

We had a high-strung, happy-go-lucky, Irish Setter... a little on the loonie side, but sweet natured and friendly.

We've had a white toy poodle and three Yorkie-poos. (now just have two) Love this mix and will get another one if we're not too old when one of these go over the rainbow bridge.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I love huskies. I think they're great dogs, for someone else. They're beautiful, and I love how they sing/talk.

But I've always heard they need a firm hand...and that kind of person is not me. I'm a soft marshmallow hearted dog lover, and my dog is spoiled.

From what I understand, you can't be that way with a huskie.

My kid adopted one, beautiful dog but having dominance issues with one of their other dogs. When it snows, this dog just wants to go outside & lay in it!

Old 11-29-2023, 02:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I always wanted a cocker spaniel but you don’t hear much about them these days. I think there was a problem with inbreeding that caused health issues. Hopefully that is sorted out.

It took me so long to get over the loss of my only dog that I can’t go through it again, so I enjoy my grand dogs whenever I can.
I had an English Cocker Spaniel who was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known. Pretty healthy. He did have a minor heart issue, but it didn't cause him any physical problems, though I had to had to have him scanned (vet's recommendation) once a year; he was diagnosed at the age of seven. He passed away shortly after his 15th birthday. That was a year and a half ago. I recommend the breed, as long as you get one from a responsible breeder or breed club-affiliated rescue group. My boy was linebred, from a breeder who shows her dogs in conformation and agility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs