Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,966 times

Advertisements

I told my niece I'd do a little research on this. She recently took her little rescue dog, who is about 3 years old, into the vet for a checkup. Vet said he needed his teeth cleaned and charged her $700 because he had to be sedated. And the vet was kind of condescending about it as if my niece was neglectful.

I'd just like to know from all you dog parents out there if this is really necessary or is it just a money-making racket. He's healthy, eats dry food, has plenty of chew toys and teeth cleaning treats, and she brushes his teeth. She doesn't brush them religiously because he hates it, but she does do it as often as she can. And if she noticed anything amiss in his mouth, gums or teeth she would certainly have the vet check it out.

I even checked Cesar Milan's website and he covers tooth care but doesn't say anything about professional cleaning.

What say you, dog parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 03:29 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,139,830 times
Dental cleanings are pretty common for dogs, usually yearly. Small dogs often have problems with tartar buildup. Some of them have mouths that are just a mess. $700 for a routine dental sounds high, especially for a 3 y/o dog. Some of the things that could run a bill up are multiple extractions and pre-op blood work which is usually recommended for older dogs to ensure they can be safely anesthesized.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,966 times
He hasn't had any extractions, just routine cleaning. What would a reasonable price be for that?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,697,748 times
My vet has a discount on teeth cleaning once a year. February is the month and it's only good for one pet. I wish I could remember prices but I can't. You may research the breed vs how long they live and see what you think on how often they need a teeth cleaning.

If you're caring for your dog, brushing a bit, providing bones and such, you should be good. Now I'm not a vet but for my own pets I do a teeth cleaning every couple of years. It depends on the dog / cat's teeth. Dental problems can affect the whole body. Some breeds, like greyhounds, have poor teeth.

Yes there's more 'hype' in recent years than in the past. We had a dog in the '80's and never a word about teeth cleaning.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,683,695 times
I want to say we paid about $350 for teeth cleaning with sedation. It's probably been 5 years.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 PM

19,845 posts, read 22,741,465 times
Jesus that's outrageous.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,259,707 times
Have an appointment for my Male Mal on July 3, price is $350.00, but he is a big dog and I do believe the larger the more. Not that much of an increase in price, but a bit more than a smaller dog.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,622 times
I think $700 bill for teeth cleaning is too much. Even I have a dog pet and never been charge with such a high amount for a simple teeth cleaning. Maybe you should try some other vet next time. Great that you have kept your pet on a healthy diet and takes good care of him.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 AM

965 posts, read 941,159 times
This absolutely depends on the size orf the dog, and the area you are in.

If vet was condescending I would never go back, especially at that price. They should be sweeetly talking her into parting with that much case (and no extractions)! I am serious, scare tactics annoy me #1. Broken or chipped teeth, different story.
Most times the vet tech cleans the dogs teeth in 10 mins or less. This happens while the vet is elsewhere. The anesthesia is expensive, and a big deal but the cleaning? No so much.

Kibble, and greenies will not help avoid a dental especially for a dog with bad teeth. I have never seen Cesar's website, but I would look up dog dental health on line to get a better idea (just for the future).

I would suggest she looks for another vet now, and annually get a dental check (NOT cleaning). unless the dog has horrible teeth no way do they need annual cleanings. No reason for annual anesthesia. Maybe every 3 years.

Has she tried the chicken flavored toothpaste and a rubber finger brush? That might help with brushing.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,504,084 times
The dog probably needs a cleaning
Possibly some extractions too

I would shop around for price
Ask the rescue or shelter if they know a vet, they might be more sympathetic on price

I adopted a rescue in grad school. Oh my, the vet bills getting her fixed up! But then things stabilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs