Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times

Advertisements

I don't surprised that people are surprised by this

You get your teeth cleaned by a dentist right? It's the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,958,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
There was a breeder I looked up who insisted when you took over one of her pups not to give wet food to the dog ever, even as it grew up, because it will create dental problems. There seems to be some contention or contradictory information on this matter. But I'm just telling you what a breeder has told me.
Let me guess... you eat crackers, chips and cookies to clean your own teeth?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM

910 posts, read 2,334,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
When I was growing up, dogs and cats didn't get cleanings. They seemed to survive just fine.
Right? What did animals do in the wild? But then again, wild animals have cruddy teeth. As domesticated animal owners, of course the vet industry would love to have your pets have human-like dental health (though there may be animals who have better dental than humans these days, lol). A lot of it could be due to the processed food as well, both wet and dry. But one thing in common with good dental health or hygiene in both humans and animals, there's some correlation with overall health and well being of either.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Let me guess... you eat crackers, chips and cookies to clean your own teeth?
I'm just telling you what I've been told by a reputable breeder, meaning she's been in business for while.

From personal experience, my first dog of 17 years had good teeth until we resorted to soft or wet food, so it required more maintenance but I'm guilty of not keeping up with the brushes.

So you gave a different opinion, please volunteer what you feed your pet, and how you take care of their teeth. I'm always open for better suggestions.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't surprised that people are surprised by this

You get your teeth cleaned by a dentist right? It's the same thing
Yes, but I don't get sedated and it doesn't cost $700.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Do what you want. It's your dog and your conscience.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You'll be surprised, if you check your insurance benefits for yourself (not your pet), you'll see how much dentists or doctors charge for their services, including teeth cleanings. It may not seem like much because you are part of a large network which provides discount or even no cost for routine procedures like cleaning. I have not put my pet insurance to the test yet, nor do I want to, but my pet coverage just covers unexpected health issues, even if it is congenital health issue associated with the breed, as long as it wasn't a pre-existing condition, it is covered.

For example, shih tzu's tend to have hip issues, as long as he didn't have the hip issue when I originally signed up and he develops one later, any care or surgery associated with it is covered.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
It is breed dependent I think. We had a small terrier for 15 years. He ate kibble and a little wet
Only got his teeth cleaned once, never had an extraction

Our Shih Tzus teeth were a mess on the other hand
Could be. Mine are Cocker Spaniels. Only eat dry food except for treats.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM

965 posts, read 940,151 times
Quote:
Yearly anesthesia, for a cleaning? Not a chance. I would never put my pet under for a preventative dental.

Granted I do scrape my dogs teeth myself when needed, but raw fed as well, so rarely necessary. The never get dental chews, and I brush their teeth on occasion for fun.

My 13 year old ended up with 2 cracked teeth that became an issue, and she went straight in for a dental, ultrasounds, extractions, etc.... a yearly cleaning would not have prevented it. As he aged hers held more tartar. Genetics may have played a big part there.
I had dogs that lived to 15, 17, and 14, and they never needed cleanings (just scraping by me) and they were all kibble fed until they hit 12 or so.
I had a Sheltie as a kid, and I brushed his teeth because his mouth smelled so bad. In those days he sure could have used a dental, but who knew. Still... he made it almost to 18. And I brushed his teeth with human toothpaste!

Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
I agree with you @simplepeace and @bookspage. Routine checks should help unless it is way more serious. Anesthesia is expensive but not as high as $700. It’s time to visit some other vet for consultation who can be more helpful and a little less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs