Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times

Advertisements

My dogs are nine years old and have never had their teeth cleaned.

The vet does check them occasionally but says there is no need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 AM

910 posts, read 2,334,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Be prepared for the unexpected, a friend's dog went for a routine cleaning and the dog had a cyst and it and many teeth had to be removed - he's doing well now but will be on soft food for the rest of his life. I think the total was around $1300.
This is why we broke down and got pet insurance for our second one. While "routine" procedures are not covered, the "unexpected" is supposed to be covered.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
This is why we broke down and got pet insurance for our second one. While "routine" procedures are not covered, the "unexpected" is supposed to be covered.
As long as it's not related to a "pre-existing condition".

Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My dogs are nine years old and have never had their teeth cleaned.

The vet does check them occasionally but says there is no need.
It is breed dependent I think. We had a small terrier for 15 years. He ate kibble and a little wet
Only got his teeth cleaned once, never had an extraction

Our Shih Tzus teeth were a mess on the other hand

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Eating dry food does NOT help to keep teeth clean!! If anything it makes the problem worse.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
As long as it's not related to a "pre-existing condition".
No it wasn't a pre-existing condition. Signed up our puppy at 10 weeks old and after the initial vet checkup, and our 30-day waiting period is over, so he's in the system.

We did not do pet insurance for our first one, and because of that had some tough decisions to make on whether or not we could afford certain procedures, like for laser surgery for cataracts as she was going blind, even though it wasn't guaranteed, we would have gone for it if we had pet insurance that covered 90% of the procedure, otherwise, we had to let her go blind, she lived another 10 years afterwards but we felt so bad. Til now I feel bad we could have done more for our first one, but we could not conceivably pay $3500-$5000 for eye surgery if it wasn't 100% guaranteed that she will be able to see, but our vet said she may only be able to see shadows afterwards, and imagine the post-op costs as well with continued checkups and tests after the surgery.

Our second pup is going to be the beneficiary of the lessons we learned raising our first dog, and feel bad that our second one may end up having a better covered life because of it, but it's not his fault, we just want the best care that we can afford for him. We couldn't do it at the time with our first one, and she was the sweetest dog ever, even compared to our little guy now, he has a lot of learning and growing up to do, it's been a while since we've raised a pup, 17 years to be exact.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
It is breed dependent I think. We had a small terrier for 15 years. He ate kibble and a little wet
Only got his teeth cleaned once, never had an extraction

Our Shih Tzus teeth were a mess on the other hand
Yes, I (we) know about Shih Tzus...

Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Eating dry food does NOT help to keep teeth clean!! If anything it makes the problem worse.
There was a breeder I looked up who insisted when you took over one of her pups not to give wet food to the dog ever, even as it grew up, because it will create dental problems. There seems to be some contention or contradictory information on this matter. But I'm just telling you what a breeder has told me.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,618,692 times
When I was growing up, dogs and cats didn't get cleanings. They seemed to survive just fine.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 AM

497 posts, read 485,395 times
I think prices are completely dependent on the individual vets office. When I had my boy neutered the vet we were using at the time wanted $250. We consulted a different vet a few miles away and ended up paying $100.

As for teeth cleaning I have been buying him water buffalo horn since he was a puppy, and his teeth are in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs