Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

Funny yesterday I took Joey to the vet about possible UTI.... he fussed at me about not having scaled her teeth since I got her [in Feb] So I have meds for the UTI & orders that next time he sees her I better have scaled her teeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
I was shocked to hear this from my friend today. Her small dog needs a cleaning and she's neglected this I guess due to costs, etc., anyway, she said dog is losing a couple teeth, but she said it would cost her $1K to $1.5K. Is this calif. costs or on the moon costs. She's getting her plastic ready for this charge.

I don't know how some people can maintain their animals.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:04 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,134,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was shocked to hear this from my friend today. Her small dog needs a cleaning and she's neglected this I guess due to costs, etc., anyway, she said dog is losing a couple teeth, but she said it would cost her $1K to $1.5K. Is this calif. costs or on the moon costs. She's getting her plastic ready for this charge.

I don't know how some people can maintain their animals.
The same way people who are too broke to go to the Dr do it. They search online and find out how to make homemade remedies. I’m sure many animals lived a long life before vets came along and sometimes that’s the only option the person has.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,393,448 times
I didn't read through all the threads, so maybe someone already said this.
Two things, 1. Back in the wild 1970's my golden retriever got his shots as a pup, and neutered. Next time he saw the vet was to put him to sleep at age 13 due to bum hips. I was a kid at the time so not sure when all that changed to giving dogs dental care.
2. What do wolves and coyotes do for dental care? Is it the diet we feed our k9's? What if we only fed our dogs real meat? Would they get too much tartar build up?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I didn't read through all the threads, so maybe someone already said this.
Two things, 1. Back in the wild 1970's my golden retriever got his shots as a pup, and neutered. Next time he saw the vet was to put him to sleep at age 13 due to bum hips. I was a kid at the time so not sure when all that changed to giving dogs dental care.
2. What do wolves and coyotes do for dental care? Is it the diet we feed our k9's? What if we only fed our dogs real meat? Would they get too much tartar build up?
I know it wasn't you who woke up an old thread, but at least you added a new question! Good on ya!

The answer is RMB. Raw, meaty bones. If you've got bones big enough that the dog will chew them and not splinter, you can also give cooked bones. But they have to be big enough so the dog won't splinter them and break them up - just chew. They can chew a lot of bone off, no harm there. AMOF, the calcium from the bones, the tendons and other joint tissues are all good for your dog.

Raw bones are still pliable. They can be eaten. But it's the bones that do the teeth cleaning action. Works like a charm, teeth are sparkly and white!

Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
The old 'standard': Milk Bone dog biscuits are inexpensive and work very well also.

(Dogs and cats have to be anesthetized for a teeth cleaning; reason enough to use other cleaning methods. ! )

Old 10-01-2018, 07:48 AM

768 posts, read 861,093 times
Have a cockapoo who is 12 and an English Shepherd who is 7. At age of 8, cockapoos teeth cleaning was $300. At age 10, it was $200 all with sedation and a change of vet. At 12, and a month ago, the charge was $350 and I feel that the teeth cleaning affected his salivary glands negatively. He drools all the time....ropey drools and he never did before. I have some antibiotics for him, but after the full course, nothing has changed. The ES was over $500 with sedation, but he did find and remove a growth on her gum. It was negative. Owning an animal is getting to the point where it is very expensive. I thought I was doing the cockapoo a good service as he is aging and I wanted him to have full advantage of his teeth for as long as possible. I will not be having salivary gland surgery so all have to suffer through with his drooling.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM

15,650 posts, read 10,405,925 times
I've had all my animals teeth cleaned in the past year. the cleaning was around $400, including anesthesia, for all of them except one dog. my recently adopted dog, only 5 years old, had a mouth full of rotten teeth and her dental bill for extractions and cleaning was around $800. she recovered like a champ!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 857,722 times
Yep, the "affordable" clinic here gave me an estimate of $700 for my 12-year-old mini-doxie. Shopped around and got it down to $400, that was with sedation, IV, two extractions and pain pills and antibiotics. Still not cheap!

Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Yep, the "affordable" clinic here gave me an estimate of $700 for my 12-year-old mini-doxie. Shopped around and got it down to $400, that was with sedation, IV, two extractions and pain pills and antibiotics. Still not cheap!
We've had this discussion on CD before. Costs for teeth cleaning vary quite a lot, depending on what part of the country you are in. For instance, where I am, MA, a charge of $700 would be typical. $3-400 would be hard to find. Other areas differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs