Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times

Advertisements

Ha ha. Vets are getting wise to the fact that you people call yourselves "parents" to your pets and are now going to charge you outrageous amounts of money for basic stuff. Pets are not people and are not your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 AM

965 posts, read 940,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ha ha. Vets are getting wise to the fact that you people call yourselves "parents" to your pets and are now going to charge you outrageous amounts of money for basic stuff. Pets are not people and are not your children.
Wow, so well thought out and helpful, especially to the part about "you people".

That does border on TOS agreement.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
As a person who has had endocarditis twice; once in my thirties in Laos, and again last year, I don't want any possibility that my dogs will get this same decease. Although it is hard to actually get it, one of the leading causes is bad dental care. My original infection came from an infected knife wound that caused the bacteria to enter the blood stream, my second infection was never determined but was not from a dental infection.

But the thought of my dogs getting the same type heart infection makes me take them up dental cleaning. And that is not due to the possible costs to cure the decease, but for their own health.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...rditis-in-dogs

Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,631,809 times
There could have been other tests as well, one to see how well he'd handle the possibly longer sedation, also monitoring of him during the procedure to be sure his body is handling it all well. Were any add ons mentioned?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,665 times
Like I said in my OP. it's my niece's dog so I don't have particulars of any add-ons. She didn't mention any at least.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Wow, so well thought out and helpful, especially to the part about "you people".

That does border on TOS agreement.
You people = pet owners. How is that wrong?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I think we know pets aren't human

But anyone who goes for their own dental care must realize that dogs have teeth as well and teeth can rot and sometimes need cleanings and extractions in the case of decay

I wouldn't judge anyone who said I just can't do this financially or just won't do it (unless the dog is in pain).

But own the consequences of that choice instead of just dismissing it like vets are crazy ripoff artists

Old 06-20-2017, 10:37 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,766 times
I had Charlie's teeth cleaned this past February for the first time - he's 6 and he needed it!!! had breath that would knock over a charging bull!!! he had tartar that I couldn't budge on my own. and had to have 3 teeth pulled - another cause of the stink breath. it was $ 65 lab work and $ 520 dental work - I was prepared because I'd asked for an estimate a while back. it was worth it to get rid of the stink breath - and since he refuses to eat hard food I make sure he has his dental treats and give him carrots to chew on. I use the fingertip brush to help too. I am on a limited budget and had to save -actually made payments on account to make sure I was covered and need to start again for next year's healthy dog check up -

I had sticker shock 14 years ago when my Maine Coon kitty had to have 3 teeth pulled....he had cavities and the fang tooth had abscessed. He had to have an EEG to make sure his heart was strong enough to have the procedure....that was a $ 1500 dental year for him.... he busted the budget big time. and looked so funny when he'd yawn and you'd notice the missing fang!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
It is common for dogs and cats that are fed a commercial diet to get tartar buildup and gingivitis. Which eventually leads to tooth decay and loss. Not to mention painful gums, and infected gums and teeth contribute to a LOT of other health issues.

In my area, and where you are will make a difference, I would expect to pay $300 and up for a simple cleaning. They have to sedate the animal, which is why it is so expensive (so I'm told). I would think $700 was very expensive, but I have no doubt that some of the vets around where I live would charge that.

I agree that dog biscuits and greenies don't really help all that much. However, chewing things can help. If you can get your dog to chew rubber toys on a regular basis, it will help. My solution is to give mine raw meaty bones (I scald them with boiling water to cut down on any surface bacteria) a couple of times a week. That keeps their teeth are shiny and white, and I don't have a vet bill for cleaning their teeth.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,154,704 times
I just had my Collie's teeth cleaned in February. My vet does a yearly special as well. 20% off I believe. This was his first time and he is 14 yrs old. He had a lot of tarter build up but would have been worse if we hadn't given him cleaning bones and so forth over the years. It cost 200 dollars. That included the pre op blood work and antibiotics. He was also sedated. The result was pretty amazing. I am so glad I had it done.

700 seems awfully high. In fact, when the Vet suggested I do it. I said something along the lines of I don't know if I can afford it, isn't usually around 500 or more? She said a lot of people think that and will dismiss it before she can give the cost. I suggest calling around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs