Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
Terytee
Of course there are single people on Colo Spgs, but for some strange reason I find it terribly difficult to meet new people here.. Never had a problem before.
To all the single folks planning to move here: don't get discouraged, the outdoors will make up for it!!

HILARIOUS, but so true!!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 105,416 times
Foxxy I can speak from experience, I've been living here my whole life and I can tell you that the dating scene here sucks. There's not much options in terms of meeting a potential mate its very difficult to meet someone here without making some serious comprimises. Women out here typically go for military guys. A lot of the guys I know will settle for anyone who gives them the time of day. Its really hard to find a good connection out here. It all depends on what your looking for. There's the club, If you go to Church they have the Mill up at New life which meets every friday at 7:00PM but I highly suggest getting there an hour early if you like to conversate.

But hey I'm 24 and a single guy and would love to take you out sometime.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
So tell me, all you folks who say the dating scene here sucks, what makes it so much better somewhere else? What do other cities do/have that Colorado Springs doesn't do/have? Surely we don't need more bars.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 PM

The Answer is options.

What is there to do here in colorado springs to meet singles? Not much! its mostly family orentated things to do. There's not many partys or social clubs to be apart of like there is up in Denver, its either the Mill or the Club scene and Yeah the Mill is great if your a christian, the club scene is good but lets be honest like you can't meet mrs right in the club. You might meet mrs tonight though. Look even somebody made this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfsR3_1jhpc

I keep getting offered to date single mothers out here and honestly I have no business going there especially at my age. Colorado Springs is very limited compared with places like Denver and even Fort Collins its pretty much only as big and great as the Military allows it.

Unless there's something great in this place that I don't know about there's practically nothing much here unless you comprimise quality as with anything Colorado Springs related.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 AM

15 posts, read 56,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M84 View Post
I'm moving from Memphis in mid-September and would be game for exploring our new town.
I just moved here from Memphis.

While Memphis pretty much has AC units in every building because of our humid weather, Colorado law doesn't require AC even though it can get like 85F in a room without AC. Their is little humidity here but you will still need a window unit for the summer. It can be cool outside but your room can be sweltering.I learned this the hard way by renting a place that had no AC buying into the BS that it doesn't get hot in Colorado. Well it doesnt outside, but it sure as heck does inside even with windows open.

85 Octane is the lowest grade of gas here, 87 in Tennessee. Gas is like 15-20 cents higher in Colorado for the lowest grade. It may not sound like a big deal, but if your planning on going up and down mountains u need a good SUV or if u have a car u need 91 Octane. 85 just doesn't seem like enough octane considering the driving landscape here. Tennessee could run like 83 Octane and be fine because of our flatness. My 4 cylinder struggles here with low octane gas.

Housing is more expensive here compared to Memphis by far, if you want to live in the good areas your going to pay a much higher premium for just a decent place than you would in Memphis.

The city is nice, but honestly after you have gone sightseeing its just like a normal city. It has its good and bad areas and there are many cities in the US that are similiar to it. Its not monumentally better than Memphis, and Memphis is considered a bad place to live.

Overall this city is sorta overrated unless you make alot of money, I mean alot of money, like making more than 100,000. If you dont make at least that I dont know why you would live here as everything is overpriced and catered to rich people or military people.The people here also have a strange chip on their shoulder here and their is a definite lack of charm, alot of bland people really. While their isn't racism here like their is in Memphis there still is some kinda of snootiness where there are people who feel they are better than others. Don't get me wrong,there are some good people here, but the vibe here is really strange and nothing like I have ever experienced. Also its funny to find alot of overweight people here, I thought the south was bad about eating,but they have the same problem here!

I go to UCCS as an exchange student and the campus manages to be nicer than the University of Memphis but there are catches. You basically can't park on campus without paying like $500 dollars a semester and most people have to park on Nevada and take a bus up to the campus. Its really annoying. The most annoying part is the campus housing. There rates for one semester hovered to almost 5,000 dollars. That is insane compared to similiarly built housing at the University of Memphis.

I will say that the police force here is alot more courteous and better ran than the city of Memphis. I guess that is why there is no crime here.

I personally liked Castle Rock as a potential place to live as it is very close to Denver and seems to be where the real growth is going to happen in the future. Colorado Springs is nice but it is so bland after a while with its extreme normalness day in and day out that you miss the dynamics of the South after a while. Castle Rock has some of the same problems as the Springs, but it is still gaining its identity, and I think its fun to be involved in a city defining one compared to one that already has like the Springs.

Last edited by dlee7283; 09-08-2010 at 03:37 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
Oh Jeebus. This thread is becoming tiresome.

Since when did being military or being associated with the military become such a negative?? Many on this thread use the term "military" in such a derogatory way. Why is that?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
nope colorado springs ain't the place to be if you're single, or even under 35 w/ a family if you ask me.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 26,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxygrl82 View Post
I'm 27 year old single female and interested in moving to Colorado Springs. I'd like to get out of where I currently live, Chattanooga, because there isn't much in my field and the single scene sucks here. I'm curious about the dating scene, music scene, and some nightlife. Also what kinds of outdoor activities are available? Thank you.
I can only speak from the perspective of a male. From that standpoint, Colorado Springs is crawling with men. Army bases. airforce bases, the Airforce academy. The ratio of men to women is probably 3 to 1. As a result, the dating scene sucks for men, but should be pretty good for women.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_q1111 View Post
I can only speak from the perspective of a male. From that standpoint, Colorado Springs is crawling with men. Army bases. airforce bases, the Airforce academy. The ratio of men to women is probably 3 to 1. As a result, the dating scene sucks for men, but should be pretty good for women.
Yeah pretty much for women its a winning situation for them because they have more options to choose from. Men have to take what they can get.

The Military being here does not make things any easier for cilvlians to be successful in the dating world. The guy can be a complete POS but women will throw themselves at the jerk because he has money, good looks and confidence. When there's an abundance of that out here there's not much anyone can do about it other than try and make a six figure income.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

196 posts, read 564,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
The Military being here does not make things any easier for cilvlians to be successful in the dating world. The guy can be a complete POS but women will throw themselves at the jerk because he has money, good looks and confidence. When there's an abundance of that out here there's not much anyone can do about it other than try and make a six figure income.
Didn't get this point.. So who is the POS in this scenario - military or civilian guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs