Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2023, 09:40 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,361,234 times

Advertisements

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...big-ten-pac-12

Oregon and Washington announced Friday afternoon that they are also headed to the Big Ten, bringing the conference to 18 schools for the 2024-25 academic year. Yahoo Sports reported Friday morning that Oregon and Washington officials told the Pac-12 of the impending move in a meeting, which was supposed to be commissioner George Kliavkoff‘s last chance to convince his members to stay together after the exits of USC and UCLA last summer and Colorado last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 09:42 AM

Ok, I am officially playing taps for the Pac 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfe4TxvUOiw

Old 08-06-2023, 10:23 AM

30,182 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ok, I am officially playing taps for the Pac 12.
Growing up in California the Pac-12 has been my favorite conference since I was probably 6 years old and it was the Pac-8. It was obvious we were slipping without a championship in football or basketball for over 20 years but never did I think the conference was going to implode. Yet here we are.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:46 PM

Even though I am on the east coast, this is a sad day for the Pac 12. I, as well, grew up with the Pac 8 and can't believe it's come down to this. Cal, Stanford, Wash. State, Oregon State have to land somewhere. The question is where?

Old 08-06-2023, 06:19 PM

Back in 2010 they were poised to add Colorado, Texas Oklahoma, OK St Tex Tech and Tex A&M. That fell though at the last minute so they only got Colorado and Utah. What a different world if that had happened.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:33 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
The Pac 12's pride is what destroyed it. Many of their institutions acted as elitist and turned up their noses to Big 12 schools who were trying to find stability following TX and OU's move. Oh how the tides have turned!

Old 08-07-2023, 08:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Pac 12's pride is what destroyed it. Many of their institutions acted as elitist and turned up their noses to Big 12 schools who were trying to find stability following TX and OU's move. Oh how the tides have turned!
This morning I listened to some college sports podcast, along with my dad. Forget the name of that guy, but his theory was that the Pac 12's failure to land a better TV and broadcasting and online streaming deal, was what led numerous colleges(i.e. UCLA and USC, and most recently Washington and Oregon) to leave.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:28 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
This morning I listened to some college sports podcast, along with my dad. Forget the name of that guy, but his theory was that the Pac 12's failure to land a better TV and broadcasting and online streaming deal, was what led numerous colleges(i.e. UCLA and USC, and most recently Washington and Oregon) to leave.
USC and UCLA left before a TV/streaming deal was even being negotiated. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Oregon, and Washington left because the deal was going to be streaming only with Apple and worth $12 million less per year per school than the Big 12.

The problem with the PAC 12 started long before this. In 2021, they had the opportunity to expand to whatever they wished using Big 12 schools. Because the PAC 12 thought that the schools in the Big 12 were beneath them, they didn't do anything. They thought that they would be fine. One year later, USC and UCLA bolt to the Big 10. The PAC 12 was too arrogant to capitalize on a golden opportunity. Now it is the Big 12 with the upper hand and is able to riad the best of the PAC.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
USC and UCLA left before a TV/streaming deal was even being negotiated. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Oregon, and Washington left because the deal was going to be streaming only with Apple and worth $12 million less per year per school than the Big 12.

The problem with the PAC 12 started long before this. In 2021, they had the opportunity to expand to whatever they wished using Big 12 schools. Because the PAC 12 thought that the schools in the Big 12 were beneath them, they didn't do anything. They thought that they would be fine. One year later, USC and UCLA bolt to the Big 10. The PAC 12 was too arrogant to capitalize on a golden opportunity. Now it is the Big 12 with the upper hand and is able to riad the best of the PAC.
They could have added Texas and Oklahoma in 2010 and commissioner Larry Scott said no. Boneheaded move not sure if he thought those schools were beneath them. Then in 2021 USC pressured the Pac-12 to not take OK st, Kansas, etc because they were already planning on leaving and it would have made it harder to leave.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:21 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They could have added Texas and Oklahoma in 2010 and commissioner Larry Scott said no. Boneheaded move not sure if he thought those schools were beneath them. Then in 2021 USC pressured the Pac-12 to not take OK st, Kansas, etc because they were already planning on leaving and it would have made it harder to leave.
Larry Scott was the downfall of the conference. He propped up the olympic sports and de-emphasized football at the same time football TV revenues were going crazy. They wanted to cancel the 2020 football season and only agreed to play because the Big 10 twisted their arm. [The Big 10 at first didn't want to play either until Justin Fields led the charge followed by his coach (Ryan Day) and Jim Harbaugh.]

A similar thing happened at MD under Debbie Yow, where she decided to spend tons of money on Olympic sports, leaving the athletic department on the verge of bankruptcy, which forced them to leave the ACC and join the Big Ten so they could pay their bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football