Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 11:22 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
USC and UCLA joining the Big 10 is asinine.

The NCAA will eventually collapse on itself. Can't happen soon enough in my opinion.
agree 100%

I used to enjoy the game of college football when the ALMA MATER was a 1-AA school and hanging out with friends on Saturday afternoons at the stadium was fun and part of college life. No one cared as much if the team won or not, but it was about the college atmosphere. All students got in free.

Something that CANNOT be replicated on TV And is going away with conference realignments and corporate sponsorship not to mention paid players, and worse of all, the focus with money and recruiting limited to a few programs, with 120 other colleges being ignored or treated as "also rans"

The IVY league does a lot of right. Academics first and sports later is one. Avoiding bowls and payout programs helps too.

This is why I follow MAC Games and ften watch Games with the sound off. IF I am watching Akron vs Toledo I want to watch that game, not hear 2 hours of talk about Alabama or Michigan and not be inundated with ads for playoffs and bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 11:38 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
agree 100%

I used to enjoy the game of college football when the ALMA MATER was a 1-AA school and hanging out with friends on Saturday afternoons at the stadium was fun and part of college life. No one cared as much if the team won or not, but it was about the college atmosphere. All students got in free.

Something that CANNOT be replicated on TV And is going away with conference realignments and corporate sponsorship not to mention paid players, and worse of all, the focus with money and recruiting limited to a few programs, with 120 other colleges being ignored or treated as "also rans"

The IVY league does a lot of right. Academics first and sports later is one. Avoiding bowls and payout programs helps too.

This is why I follow MAC Games and ften watch Games with the sound off. IF I am watching Akron vs Toledo I want to watch that game, not hear 2 hours of talk about Alabama or Michigan and not be inundated with ads for playoffs and bowls.
I am SO in agreement with you and Canes2006Champs. I'm hoping the whole NCAA football thing implodes so "somehow" FBS college football can return to something resembling common sense.

My college is STILL FCS and I'm very happy about it. Even their playoff system still makes sense as does the conference alignments. The Big 10/SEC mess WITH the NIL issue is destroying the games.

We're still one of the few states where the best paid state employee is NOT a university football or basketball coach. I'm pleased about that.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
agree 100%

Well said. I agree with you.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:19 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Well said. I agree with you.
Same here.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:47 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
And so it begins again!

Welcome back Colorado to the Big 12!

Expect more moves to come soon.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:12 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
And so it begins again!

Welcome back Colorado to the Big 12!

Expect more moves to come soon.
I'm thinking Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten. Utah Arizona and Arizona ST to the Big 12. The rest will either be spilt or merge with the Mountain West and make a new Power conference. What a shame. Imagine if the Pac-12 was well run and became the Pac-16, adding BYU, Boise ST, Texas and Oklahoma.... Oh well.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:09 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm thinking Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten. Utah Arizona and Arizona ST to the Big 12. The rest will either be spilt or merge with the Mountain West and make a new Power conference. What a shame. Imagine if the Pac-12 was well run and became the Pac-16, adding BYU, Boise ST, Texas and Oklahoma.... Oh well.
I hate seeing the demise of the Pac 12. There needs to be a pacific based "power conference". Instead, money has dictated that we have to have these coast to coast super conferences. At least the SEC is staying relatively true to its geography.

I agree that the Big 10 will have to grab Oregon and Washington. It makes too much sense for them. The rest of the four corners to the Big 12 makes sense too. There's going to be a lot of crow eaten on behalf of Utah and Arizona State if they're forced to join the Big 12.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:02 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I hate seeing the demise of the Pac 12. There needs to be a pacific based "power conference". Instead, money has dictated that we have to have these coast to coast super conferences. At least the SEC is staying relatively true to its geography.

I agree that the Big 10 will have to grab Oregon and Washington. It makes too much sense for them. The rest of the four corners to the Big 12 makes sense too. There's going to be a lot of crow eaten on behalf of Utah and Arizona State if they're forced to join the Big 12.
Agreed, not having a true west coast power conference blows. Unless the Mountain West can pickup the slack. Though I'm skeptical of that.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Officially done:

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/st...dh249LNSSm3AbQ

Quote:
The Colorado Board of Regents has made it official: The Buffaloes are Big 12-bound.

The resolution passed unanimously, 9-0.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:58 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Colorado ditching the Pac-12 is squarely on George Kliavkoff. The conference has been throwing out BS about new media rights for months, and Kliavkoff has had to move the goalposts multiple times. The bottom line is what the Pac-12 thinks its conference is worth and what the media thinks it's worth are two very different numbers. I fully expect Arizona, ASU, Washington, and Oregon to bolt the conference, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football