Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 11:54 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

Contracts still rule. But they're written with out clauses etc. A good lawyer can often write in advantages that the other side either accepts or doesn't understand. Some of this is simply understanding English and logic better than their counterparts. Likewise, a good lawyer can take advantage of gray areas in an existing contract. (I'm not a lawyer.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 07:01 AM

387 posts, read 351,695 times
Well...FSU dropped it, and while yes I am only looking at things with my garnet and gold colored glasses, they seem to have an argument. Now, this is all way above my head, but it seems like there are enough things to warrant at the very least discussions for negotiations. But FSU cannot stay in the ACC, as that played a huge role in being left out of the CFP and even some recruits choosing to sign elsewhere.

The most damning thing about all this is the fact that ACC has a GOR that runs through 2036, but a media contract that ends i 2027 unless ESPN extends. So your GOR is tied to the ESPN agreement which may go away (and if I am ESPN, do I really want to extend anyways?). In addition, ACC commish extended timeline for the ESPN extension potentially without 2/3 vote of the conference. Lets not even get into the Raycom stuff.

All I am saying is that the pieces are there for a valid fight against the GOR.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:42 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Looks like WSU and OSU are holding the cards. Good for them.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-long-battle/

Oregon State and Washington State reached a settlement with the Pac-12's departing 10 members, officially bringing an end to the months-long legal battle over the conference's future. Combined, Oregon State and Washington State will make $65 million in 2024 from the fiscal distributions of the departing members, with apportioned distributions going through June consisting of withheld ($5 million) and supplemental ($1.5 million) revenue. The settlement notes that the departing members "shall have no vote, direction, input, or other power with respect to the Conference's (Pac-12) use, allocation or expenditure" of those funds. That means Oregon State and Washington State can apportion those funds with impunity, a boon for the remaining Pac-12 programs as they navigate an uncertain future. Moreover, the departing members cannot seek to dissolve the Pac-12 unless both OSU and WSU consent in writing. Further protections allow the remaining Pac-12 schools to seek an injunction if a departing member moves to dissolve the Pac-12, with severe financial penalties accrued for such an action. The settlement also confirms that departing members are not entitled to any revenue generated during and after 2025. The 10 departing schools are each set to join their respective new conferences in July 2024.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:42 AM

https://onwardstate.com/2024/04/01/f...g-ten-in-2025/

The Big Ten is now the Big Twenty. ACC universities Clemson and Florida announced they will join the Big Ten following the conclusion of the 2024-2025 school year. The official announcement comes after Clemson announced last month that it will join Florida State in suing the ACC over the league charging the schools hundreds of millions of dollars to leave.

Last month, nine Bowl Subdivision conferences, including the ACC, agreed to a six-year deal to continue participating in the College Football Playoff through the 2031 football season. With that came a revenue-sharing deal that gives the Big Ten and SEC conferences nearly double the annual distribution than the ACC and Big 12 — the next two largest conferences in terms of revenue.

The Big Ten and SEC receiving more revenue distribution caused many teams in the ACC to worry the schools in those two leagues could bring in significantly more money. Because of this, Clemson and Florida State wasted no time jumping ship to the Big Ten, attempting to cash in on the money the conference is soon to make.

This is the third cycle in which new teams have joined the Big Ten in the last two years as USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington are set to begin play in the conference at the start of the fall 2024 semester.

Now it's the Pac 1. Not really. I think this is a April Fools joke.

https://autzenzoo.com/posts/the-oreg...n-01htddv5xmx6

The secret is out, the Oregon State Beavers have agreed to join the Big Ten conference starting in 2024. Following in big brother’s footsteps, the Beavers are accompanying the Oregon Ducks in their conference realignment.

Oregon State had previously refused to abandon the rapidly sinking Pac-12 ship alongside the Washington State Cougars.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:42 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post

The secret is out, the Oregon State Beavers have agreed to join the Big Ten conference starting in 2024. Following in big brother’s footsteps, the Beavers are accompanying the Oregon Ducks in their conference realignment.

Oregon State had previously refused to abandon the rapidly sinking Pac-12 ship alongside the Washington State Cougars.
Well, if this isn't an April Fools joke, I for one will be glad to see the Beavs join the same conference as UW and Oregon. Now we have five of the original Pac-8 in the same conference, so some old rivalries can still happen. It's too bad about losing Cal and Stanford though.

This is dated April 2:

OSU used to be one of the conferences down-trodden teams, but they have become pretty good of late.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
https://onwardstate.com/2024/04/01/f...g-ten-in-2025/

The Big Ten is now the Big Twenty. ACC universities Clemson and Florida announced they will join the Big Ten following the conclusion of the 2024-2025 school year. The official announcement comes after Clemson announced last month that it will join Florida State in suing the ACC over the league charging the schools hundreds of millions of dollars to leave.

Last month, nine Bowl Subdivision conferences, including the ACC, agreed to a six-year deal to continue participating in the College Football Playoff through the 2031 football season. With that came a revenue-sharing deal that gives the Big Ten and SEC conferences nearly double the annual distribution than the ACC and Big 12 — the next two largest conferences in terms of revenue.

The Big Ten and SEC receiving more revenue distribution caused many teams in the ACC to worry the schools in those two leagues could bring in significantly more money. Because of this, Clemson and Florida State wasted no time jumping ship to the Big Ten, attempting to cash in on the money the conference is soon to make.

This is the third cycle in which new teams have joined the Big Ten in the last two years as USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington are set to begin play in the conference at the start of the fall 2024 semester.

Not sure if you're posting cause joke, but to be clear here, Clemson and FSU to the B1G was an April Fool's Joke. That isn't happening, at least not today.

Oregon State to B1G, also an April Fool's Joke.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Not sure if you're posting cause joke, but to be clear here, Clemson and FSU to the B1G was an April Fool's Joke. That isn't happening, at least not today.

Oregon State to B1G, also an April Fool's Joke.
I thought the Clemson, FSU to B1G was real. Dammit, they got me! The OSU to B1G I knew it was a joke because it came from an Oregon website.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:51 PM

Sounds like another form of big brother/NCAA but the college powers are laying the groundwork to maintain control.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ool-presidents

A group that includes "several" college presidents has proposed to dramatically alter the way college football is organized, according to The Athletic's Andrew Marchand and Stewart Mandel.

The group, which is called "College Sports Tomorrow," has floated the idea of creating a two-tiered structure among FBS schools.

"The current CST outline would create a system that would have the top 70 programs — all members of the five former major conferences, plus Notre Dame and new ACC member SMU — as permanent members and encompass all 130-plus FBS universities," Marchand and Mandel reported.

"The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions, joined by an eighth division of teams that would be promoted from the second tier."

Marchand and Mandel outlined how the CST proposal would streamline the rules regarding player movement and compensation as well.

"While the CST model would eliminate the longtime conference structure for football, it would create one entity to negotiate with a prospective union that would represent the players on NIL, transfer portal and salary structure rules," they reported. "This embrace of collective bargaining could allow it to avoid the antitrust issues that have limited the NCAA's ability to enforce its own rules."

According to Marchand and Mandel, the idea may not even be able to get off the ground, though. While the ACC board of directors reportedly listened to a presentation from CST officials, the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all canceled plans for a similar sit-down.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
According to Marchand and Mandel, the idea may not even be able to get off the ground, though. While the ACC board of directors reportedly listened to a presentation from CST officials, the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all canceled plans for a similar sit-down.[/i]
This is the key right here. Any plan like this without buy-in from the SEC and B1G is dead on arrival.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This is the key right here. Any plan like this without buy-in from the SEC and B1G is dead on arrival.
Indeed. However, these are preliminary conversations that eventually will lead to something. Execs from the NFL, NCAA, etc. are involved so the powers that be will be crafting a blueprint that will make everyone happy. In other words, everyone's beak will get wetted. As of now, this pipe dream of a student/athlete is a myth. These are professionals representing colleges. How can a college qb buy a Lamborghini SUV? Let's just stop this student/athlete myth.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/...%20Beck%20said.

Carson Beck said his decision to acquire a Lamborghini after his return to Georgia was negotiated is “not a big deal” in his opinion.

Beck, a projected 2025 NFL first-round draft pick and the Heisman Trophy co-favorite, said it’s as simple as his love of cars and isn’t too concerned about what critics might say.

“I love cars, and I got a car, that’s really all it is,” Beck said at Georgia’s opening spring football press conference on Tuesday, asked about having an exotic vehicle worth more than a quarter of a million dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football