Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 09:53 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times

Advertisements

What would it take to separate all the college Football teams from the conference alignment of the other college other sports? Is that something that can be decided at the NCAA level? Or is it too tied into the television contracts? We kind of already have that to some degree with the non-conference games. Separating out Football from the other sports could make conference alignment and scheduling more flexible, and I'm thinking that's where it needs to go right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 10:41 AM

387 posts, read 351,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What would it take to separate all the college Football teams from the conference alignment of the other college other sports? Is that something that can be decided at the NCAA level? Or is it too tied into the television contracts? We kind of already have that to some degree with the non-conference games. Separating out Football from the other sports could make conference alignment and scheduling more flexible, and I'm thinking that's where it needs to go right away.
I couldn't tell you what it would take from a technical standpoint, but I can pretty much guarantee it will soon.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:12 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Is money enough to drive FSU and Clemson to the SEC? If they go there, neither will be a top tier program in that conference. The Big 12 should make a strong push for both. However, they certainly don't want another Texas-like school. What I mean by that is, FSU feels that they're better than everyone else and can bully their conference into submission.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Is money enough to drive FSU and Clemson to the SEC? If they go there, neither will be a top tier program in that conference. The Big 12 should make a strong push for both. However, they certainly don't want another Texas-like school. What I mean by that is, FSU feels that they're better than everyone else and can bully their conference into submission.
So...why do you say neither would be a top tier program in the SEC? And you are already writing off Texas in that conference?

Old 09-05-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
So...why do you say neither would be a top tier program in the SEC? And you are already writing off Texas in that conference?
How will Clemson or FSU compete for conference championships every year in the SEC? They might have a good season here or there, but they’ll blend into the rest of the glob of schools. In the ACC, they’re the top dogs. In a future Big 12, they would likely be top dogs also. I never wrote off Texas, although I don’t expect much out of them in the SEC either. I was referring to how Texas thinks they’re just the greatest thing since sliced bread! They want everything their way, and feel they deserve all the power and influence. FSU is demonstrating that they have the same mentality, despite not even coming close to deserving special treatment. The Big 12 would not welcome them if they plan on keeping that sort of attitude. The Arizona schools and Utah had to go through a humbling process, and they’ve yet to play a single snap of Big 12 ball. The “hateful eight†will not tolerate elitism in the new Big 12!

Old 09-06-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
How will Clemson or FSU compete for conference championships every year in the SEC? They might have a good season here or there, but they’ll blend into the rest of the glob of schools. In the ACC, they’re the top dogs. In a future Big 12, they would likely be top dogs also. I never wrote off Texas, although I don’t expect much out of them in the SEC either. I was referring to how Texas thinks they’re just the greatest thing since sliced bread! They want everything their way, and feel they deserve all the power and influence. FSU is demonstrating that they have the same mentality, despite not even coming close to deserving special treatment. The Big 12 would not welcome them if they plan on keeping that sort of attitude. The Arizona schools and Utah had to go through a humbling process, and they’ve yet to play a single snap of Big 12 ball. The “hateful eight†will not tolerate elitism in the new Big 12!
The same way Bama, LSU, Georgia do? The point is if FSU wants to be able to compete on their level, at all...whether as a member of the SEC or in the CFP...they need the increased revenue they will not get in the ACC. Sorry, but $30mil + behind them each year will only lead us to irrelevance.

Big 12? Not happening. If FSU was going to the B12 that would have happened back in 2012. Now, it is B1G or SEC. Nothing else. It is not about an elitist attitude, it is about recognizing what is going on and making the steps to survive. If other schools are ok with being a part of a revenue gap that large, have at it. But when they can't afford to hire the best coaches, the best support staff, or hell I will say it..pay the best players, then so be it.

FSU is just the vocal one in the ACC. Clemson, UNC and a few others have the same mentality. UNC finally spoke up about it, albeit not as strong.

Like it or not, FSU does have a strong national following. This is not Rutgers barking...this is a school that has been relevant for the past 30 years with a dip. Bama wasn't always Bama...Georgia wasn't always Georgia

Old 09-06-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
The same way Bama, LSU, Georgia do? The point is if FSU wants to be able to compete on their level, at all...whether as a member of the SEC or in the CFP...they need the increased revenue they will not get in the ACC. Sorry, but $30mil + behind them each year will only lead us to irrelevance.

Big 12? Not happening. If FSU was going to the B12 that would have happened back in 2012. Now, it is B1G or SEC. Nothing else. It is not about an elitist attitude, it is about recognizing what is going on and making the steps to survive. If other schools are ok with being a part of a revenue gap that large, have at it. But when they can't afford to hire the best coaches, the best support staff, or hell I will say it..pay the best players, then so be it.

FSU is just the vocal one in the ACC. Clemson, UNC and a few others have the same mentality. UNC finally spoke up about it, albeit not as strong.

Like it or not, FSU does have a strong national following. This is not Rutgers barking...this is a school that has been relevant for the past 30 years with a dip. Bama wasn't always Bama...Georgia wasn't always Georgia
Playing in the ACC is what has made FSU successful. They were able to stick out, because the basketball schools didn't give a flip about football until recently. FSU became a national brand based off of their ability to rise above a mediocre ACC. Same for Clemson. Both would struggle to maintain relevancy in a crowded SEC.

I understand the money gap issue, but the SEC might not want to continue expanding into a market they already have a stake in. It doesn't add additional revenue. The ACC would have been in a better position had they not arranged for a ridiculously long deal with ESPN. They could have had 2 new contracts with ESPN in that time frame. They probably would have been able to make $40-45 mil before the most recent TV economic problems.

I could see some interest by the B1G, but will Fox want to pony up the money for 2-4 more? That I don't know.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Playing in the ACC is what has made FSU successful. They were able to stick out, because the basketball schools didn't give a flip about football until recently. FSU became a national brand based off of their ability to rise above a mediocre ACC. Same for Clemson. Both would struggle to maintain relevancy in a crowded SEC.

I understand the money gap issue, but the SEC might not want to continue expanding into a market they already have a stake in. It doesn't add additional revenue. The ACC would have been in a better position had they not arranged for a ridiculously long deal with ESPN. They could have had 2 new contracts with ESPN in that time frame. They probably would have been able to make $40-45 mil before the most recent TV economic problems.

I could see some interest by the B1G, but will Fox want to pony up the money for 2-4 more? That I don't know.
In the words of Lee Corso..."Not so fast my friend". If you think FSU was successful because of playing in the ACC, I very much disagree with you. FSU was successful before the ACC. But to each their own. Independents were going the way of the dinosaurs because of the changing structure. Make no mistake, FSU WANTED to join the SEC. But the ACC actually gave a strong presentation whereas the SEC thought just because of who they were FSU would never consider the ACC. When the SEC caught wind that FSU was seriously considered the ACC, they "withdrew" any potential invite because they didn't want to be rejected.

I would not normally think the SEC would want to expand into markets they already own, but as mentioned earlier they would absolutely consider it to keep the B1G out.

I do agree the ACC painted itself into a corner with the stupid long deal. But the schools were bamboozled by Swofford in attempts to "help" his son and Raycom. He sold the whole conference on false promises (Notre Dame) and revenue. The "stability" of the GOR ends up being the downfall as well. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone would have expected the revenue explosion to put the ACC behind the 8-ball so much. But because of that, like it or not the schools will struggle to compete in the only sport that currently matters, football.

I can tell you FOX is willing to pony up the money for at least one more.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:17 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:

Absolutely agree on FSU and Clemson. Both (along with Miami) had historically benefited from playing in a relatively weak conference instead of the brutal day in day out fight to the death that is the SEC. If they need any reminders, look no further than Texas A&M. The Aggies left, partly to get out from the shadow of big brother Texas, but also because the money was better in the SEC. Fast forward over a decade later, and they havent won squat. Not even a division title. Texas and OU will soon learn the same lesson. I could very easily see FSU going the same route. No matter what their fans think, you can't tell me that FSU carries greater prestige than Florida, or LSU, never mind Alabama or Georgia. Not to say it has a crap legacy by any means, but it's not going to stand out in the SEC the way it does in the ACC. Trying to bully the SEC teams like they are trying to do now in the ACC will get them laughed at. I hope they are ready.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Absolutely agree on FSU and Clemson. Both (along with Miami) had historically benefited from playing in a relatively weak conference instead of the brutal day in day out fight to the death that is the SEC. If they need any reminders, look no further than Texas A&M. The Aggies left, partly to get out from the shadow of big brother Texas, but also because the money was better in the SEC. Fast forward over a decade later, and they havent won squat. Not even a division title. Texas and OU will soon learn the same lesson. I could very easily see FSU going the same route. No matter what their fans think, you can't tell me that FSU carries greater prestige than Florida, or LSU, never mind Alabama or Georgia. Not to say it has a crap legacy by any means, but it's not going to stand out in the SEC the way it does in the ACC. Trying to bully the SEC teams like they are trying to do now in the ACC will get them laughed at. I hope they are ready.
Again, disagree. FSU was not a flash in the pan type thing. Against the "mighty SEC" FSU doing farily well as of late. Actually historically they have as well. But disregard that I suppose. All that matters is the here and now. And FSU was in a downward spiral for a few years, but Coaxh Norvell is turning things around. But if/when FSU goes to the SEC (my money is leaning towards B1G at the moment), then this can be settled.

SEC has some great teams, no doubt. But they would not get laughed at in the SEC. They would run with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football