Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 07:39 PM

7,616 posts, read 6,125,133 times

Advertisements

Well, according to new reports, it looks like it.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...Four%20schools.

According to some legal case, the framework may well be in place The wealthiest schools are going to win the football titles year in and year out, because they will have the money to play the players

I am not sure, as I have not read all the facts, but initially, I have concerns
Some about collegiate purpose, eligibility, and the further ruining of the game.

And initially I thought "That is why I am drawn more and more to Canadian football."

SO I want to get the input from the College football experts on here, many of whom I value more than the talking heads on TV and radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 08:46 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,603,534 times
This has been a fluid, complicated situation.. so my take is a general one.. that may be ignoring developing details:
It is correct, that big time college athletes have been basically working in unpaid apprenticeships. I understand they were compensated with college scholarships.. but that's not what they wanted. They wanted a paycheck to develop as future NBA & NFL players. So I think they do deserve to be paid athletes, just like players in other development pro sport leagues. This is a win for athletes between high school & the big leagues.

BUT why do public universities have to be involved in this pro sports farm league anymore??
Just peel off power 4/5 (whatever it is now) athletes in to a fully pro league, and leave out the public university middleman. If people stop watching this level of football, because it's no longer the Buckeyes or Bruins, etc.. oh well.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

4,089 posts, read 2,423,637 times
I thought that's what is going on now. How can Carson Beck afford a 250k Lamborghini SUV? How can Shedeur Sanders afford a Rolls Royce Culinan? Both are those guys are no more than 22 years old. I could go on. These kids are already getting paid. Begs the question. How much money these kids missed out on from decades of NCAA and the colleges keeping all that money in their pockets? All that money going to these college athletes is a long time coming, IMHO.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

26,292 posts, read 49,219,470 times
NY Times has this to say:

$2.75 billion and a new NCAA model

Quote:
May 23, 2024, will officially become a before-and-after date in college sports history after yesterday’s news: The NCAA and its power conferences officially agreed to a settlement in the House vs. NCAA case. This didn’t feel like major news, but the ramifications are astounding:
The settlement includes payment of $2.75 billion from the NCAA to former student-athletes from 2016 onward who lost out on NIL opportunities. That money will be paid out over a 10-year period.

More importantly, it allows each conference to begin revenue sharing with its student athletes as it sees fit. That means money from these big, massive, TV deals will make its way directly to players, something unheard of even a few years ago. This change could come as soon as next year, and could include more than $20 million per school distributed to power-conference athletes.
On its face, this is a great move. An equitable move. The hokey sheen of college athletics long shrouded the reality that the NCAA’s business was simply unfair and, in many cases, illegal.

But how does this change college sports? It’s natural to wonder if fully shedding the amateur label might make everything a little more corporate and stale. As Stewart Mandel explained yesterday, don’t worry:
The product, while different, will still be awesome. We can rue the end of conferences all we want, but making more big-name games will only draw more eyes to college football and other sports.

This shouldn’t really change the academic experience for these athletes. The truth is that most student athletes don’t go pro in their respective sports. So these athletes will earn an education and get paid appropriately while doing it. Novel!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
NY Times has this to say:

$2.75 billion and a new NCAA model
Awesome article. Thanks for sharing. I had a conversation with one of my sons not too long ago. Half-jokingly he shared that he was conceived too early because he missed out on that NIL money. He played Div. II baseball so his "take" would have been nominal, at best. However, the trickle down effect is eventually going to take place, IMO. Meaning even a small NAIA athletic department will be able to take advantage of this turn of events. It's going to take awhile for this "trickle down" effect to reach down to Div. III or NAIA levels but they will get a piece of the pie soon enough.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,778,177 times
And yet nothing done to curb tuition costs nor increase the quality of education. All these students are taking on enormous debt to fund schools. College sports actually produce very high profits for the schools but they aren't used to reduce tuition. It's all pocketed by the board, coaches, and school faculty.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,704,810 times
College football is a mess thanks to NIL and the transfer portal. We still enjoy watching it but you cannot become attached to any players on your favorite team because another school might scoop them up the next year with a better NIL offer.

I would expect the colleges to start paying the players, when it's discovered that the NIL money is discriminatory, with the most popular athletes getting paid a lot of money for their likeness/name/image while many non-scholarship players have to pay their tuition and get nothing from NIL. This will happen even faster if it turns out that more NIL money is going to white players.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
And yet nothing done to curb tuition costs nor increase the quality of education. All these students are taking on enormous debt to fund schools. College sports actually produce very high profits for the schools but they aren't used to reduce tuition. It's all pocketed by the board, coaches, and school faculty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
College football is a mess thanks to NIL and the transfer portal. We still enjoy watching it but you cannot become attached to any players on your favorite team because another school might scoop them up the next year with a better NIL offer.

I would expect the colleges to start paying the players, when it's discovered that the NIL money is discriminatory, with the most popular athletes getting paid a lot of money for their likeness/name/image while many non-scholarship players have to pay their tuition and get nothing from NIL. This will happen even faster if it turns out that more NIL money is going to white players.
Both points taken. Us mortals always have to bear the brunt financially while these elite athletes that push the financial needle get the spoils. NIL money discriminatory? That's a reach. The more popular meaning your best player on the team? Of course, they are going to be paid more than someone barely on the traveling squad. Again that's just life. Your best player that produces wins is going to be paid more.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

6,030 posts, read 4,247,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Per what I've read, players are getting paid by schools and they are getting NIL money.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

6,030 posts, read 4,247,697 times
Great, so now let's do away with scholarships for athletes. If they're getting paid, let's stop giving these second-rate students (and, make no mistake, that's what the majority are) free tuition to some of the best universities on planet earth because they can dribble a basketball or throw a football or swing a bat.

While we're at it, let's just stop the charade altogether. Let's have each college spin off its football and basektball teams into minor leage teams that are only loosely affiliated with the college. Players won't pretend to be students anymore, and admissions spots won't go to kids who scored 200 points lower on the SAT but got in because they are athletes. Colleges can go back to being educational institutions and not try to run a professional sports league on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football