Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 05:45 AM

7,192 posts, read 6,848,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...u-s-house.html

If it becomes law, the measure would designate U.S. Route 64 from Raleigh through Rocky Mount, Williamston and Elizabeth City, to U.S. 17 in Norfolk as a “high priority corridor.”

The federal transportation bill also includes language to designate portions of U.S. Highways 70 and 117 as high-priority corridors and as future interstates, which would connect Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, the North Carolina Global TransPark, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, and the Port of Morehead City.
______

The second part would add to the Quad East Loop. But it looks like 264 would miss out on the direct Interstate funding. And I would assume designating 264 an interstate would be even more difficult with those projects.
It's about time! Though I wouldn't count on Virginia to do it's part anytime soon, if ever. The fact that only 4 VA congressmen out of 11 supports this bill says it all and I bet the ones that didn't support it were from Northern VA. In VA, Northern VA always gets top priority while the rest of the state gets table scraps. Ask anybody in Hampton Roads what they think of VDOT. Say what you want about NCDOT, but they're a lot more proactive about building roads than VDOT is. On another note, I-795 should've been extended to I-40 to start with and I don't see US-264 getting upgraded anytime soon. NCDOT seems to be focused on US-70 at the moment. Greenville is gonna be waiting a looooong time before they get a piece of the pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,873,156 times
There is not much upgrading to be done for 264.

What I think we will see is the focus on I-44 right now. Makes sense because it benefits NENC (and Greenville because its close to it in Bethel). Greenville is FINALLY getting its Southwest Bypass, which could be part of the system if 264 is designated. It will be built to Interstate standards. Goldsboro's bypass is going to connect to I-795 and is built to Interstate standards as well.

I think it will be forever for the Quad type concept, but I think we will see Interstate's in ENC in not too long a time. I-44 and I-795 are the first steps.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There is not much upgrading to be done for 264.

What I think we will see is the focus on I-44 right now. Makes sense because it benefits NENC (and Greenville because its close to it in Bethel). Greenville is FINALLY getting its Southwest Bypass, which could be part of the system if 264 is designated. It will be built to Interstate standards. Goldsboro's bypass is going to connect to I-795 and is built to Interstate standards as well.

I think it will be forever for the Quad type concept, but I think we will see Interstate's in ENC in not too long a time. I-44 and I-795 are the first steps.
As far as I know, the only thing keeping US-264 from being Interstate standard is the fact that the outside shoulders are only 4 ft. instead of 10 ft. (except for the stretch from I-95 to the Greene County line). If I-44 is indeed chosen as the designation for the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor, then US-70 from I-40 in Garner to Morehead City would be I-42 since that would be the only available number left. You mentioning Bethel did give me an idea. Why not have a 3-digit spur run from US-64 (I-44) in Bethel to Greenville using US-13, then have it follow the Northwestern US-264 Greenville Bypass and the future Southwest Bypass, then use an upgraded NC-11 to connect with US-70 (I-42) in Kinston. Then another 3-digit spur could follow US-264 from I-44 in Zebulon to Stantonsburg Road in Greenville. Greenville would then have Interstate access to Hampton Roads, the Triangle, and the Global Transpark in Kinston and Morehead City. Not that I expect any of that to actually happen anytime soon, if ever, but it seems like a win-win to me!

Last edited by LM117; 11-06-2015 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,772,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...u-s-house.html

If it becomes law, the measure would designate U.S. Route 64 from Raleigh through Rocky Mount, Williamston and Elizabeth City, to U.S. 17 in Norfolk as a “high priority corridor.”

The federal transportation bill also includes language to designate portions of U.S. Highways 70 and 117 as high-priority corridors and as future interstates, which would connect Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, the North Carolina Global TransPark, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, and the Port of Morehead City.
______

The second part would add to the Quad East Loop. But it looks like 264 would miss out on the direct Interstate funding. And I would assume designating 264 an interstate would be even more difficult with those projects.
Passed into law by Congress & the President:
ENC roads get interstate designation

Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,324,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Passed into law by Congress & the President:
ENC roads get interstate designation
H.R.1844 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) | Military Corridor Transportation Improvement Act of 2015
Quote:
Amends the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991, as amended, to declare as high priority corridors on the National Highway System as well as segments of the Interstate System: (1) U.S. Route 117/Interstate Route 795 from U.S. Route 70 in Goldsboro, Wayne County, North Carolina, to Interstate Route 40 west of Faison, Sampson County, North Carolina; and (2) U.S. Route 70 from its intersection with Interstate Route 40 in Garner, Wake County, North Carolina, to the Port at Morehead City, Carteret County, North Carolina.
H.R.2211 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) | Route to Opportunity and Development Act of 2015
Quote:
Amends the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991, as amended, to revise the high priority Raleigh-Norfolk Corridor of the National Highway System between Raleigh, North Carolina, and Norfolk, Virginia, to include Rocky Mount, Williamston, and Elizabeth City, North Carolina.
Interstate 795 could be extended southward to Interstate 40 and maintain its designation.

United States Route 70 from Interstate 40 in Wake County to Morehead City could be a spur of Interstate 40 with 340, 740 and 940 designations remaining or a spur of Interstate 95 with 195, 395, 595 and 995 available or 495 relocated. It currently bypasses Selma and Interstate 95. Exits 334 (eastbound) and 336 (westbound) provide access to Selma and Interstate 95. Relocating Interstate 95 exit 97 south to the United States Route 70 bypass could devastate the local economy with through traffic not stopping.

Interstate 495 would have to have to be reassigned a two-digit number if it enters Virginia as the number is assigned in Virginia and Maryland for the Capital Beltway. I wonder if a road on a new location to connect United States Route 17 to North Carolina Highway/Virginia State Route 168 would be considered to divert traffic onto the Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM

275 posts, read 331,467 times
SO does all of this mean that funding will come quicker?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
H.R.1844 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) | Military Corridor Transportation Improvement Act of 2015

H.R.2211 - 114th Congress (2015-2016) | Route to Opportunity and Development Act of 2015

Interstate 795 could be extended southward to Interstate 40 and maintain its designation.

United States Route 70 from Interstate 40 in Wake County to Morehead City could be a spur of Interstate 40 with 340, 740 and 940 designations remaining or a spur of Interstate 95 with 195, 395, 595 and 995 available or 495 relocated. It currently bypasses Selma and Interstate 95. Exits 334 (eastbound) and 336 (westbound) provide access to Selma and Interstate 95. Relocating Interstate 95 exit 97 south to the United States Route 70 bypass could devastate the local economy with through traffic not stopping.

Interstate 495 would have to have to be reassigned a two-digit number if it enters Virginia as the number is assigned in Virginia and Maryland for the Capital Beltway. I wonder if a road on a new location to connect United States Route 17 to North Carolina Highway/Virginia State Route 168 would be considered to divert traffic onto the Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia.
NCDOT's plan is indeed to extend I-795 to I-40. NCDOT will likely ask FHWA for a waiver to keep the I-795 designation since 3-digit interstates are technically supposed to begin with an even number if it connects to another interstate at both ends or is a loop like I-485 in Charlotte. However, if I-540 is any indication, FHWA will likely grant that waiver. I would look for "Future I-795" signs to be placed on US-117 within the next couple of years. As far as US-70 goes, I doubt NCDOT will go for a 3-digit spur. I think it's more likely that they'll go for a 2-digit number, like I-42 or I-46. Of course, NCDOT hasn't confirmed what number they'll use, but it would make more sense, IMO. I also can't see a new location highway being built to connect US-17 and VA-168 since it would likely be more expensive than upgrading an existing highway, not to mention that VA-168 is tolled, which would prevent it from becoming an interstate (correct me if I'm wrong) and even then, a lot of traffic would probably use US-17 to avoid paying tolls. Also, I believe that the new location highway would go through sensitive wetlands if I'm not mistaken, which would make it a no-go due to the inevitable lawsuits from environmental groups. On a somewhat related note, I can't help but wonder if the city leaders in Greenville are quietly PO'd that they were left out.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,873,156 times
That's positive news about 795. Cutting off that corner to get to 40 South or 95 North will help traffic on I-95.

70 needs A LOT of work to get to Interstate standards...and the plan is for the bypass to end in Beaufort, not the Morehead City port...I guess they can add an access point for trucks from the Port at an additional expense.

It will take a lot of money to complete the bypass projects for 70. Kinston (which I think should go north), New Bern (which is going South), Havelock (which is going South) and Morehead City (which is going North). Goldsboro will be done soon.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:34 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,500,229 times
All the potential northern bypass alternatives for US 70 in Kinston have been eliminated by NCDOT now. They're looking at possible southern bypass alternatives or possibly upgrading the existing roadway to a freeway.

NCDOT: Kinston Bypass Project

I'm curious to see how they're going to do US 70 in Selma since the current bypass does not have an interchange with I-95 and the mainline US 70 which does is riddled with stoplights and a major intersection with US 301.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
All the potential northern bypass alternatives for US 70 in Kinston have been eliminated by NCDOT now. They're looking at possible southern bypass alternatives or possibly upgrading the existing roadway to a freeway.

NCDOT: Kinston Bypass Project

I'm curious to see how they're going to do US 70 in Selma since the current bypass does not have an interchange with I-95 and the mainline US 70 which does is riddled with stoplights and a major intersection with US 301.
I'm not surprised NCDOT eliminated the northern alternatives for the Kinston Bypass. While I see the reasoning for the northern routes since by using the CF Harvey Parkway it would serve the Global TransPark and would connect to NC-11, which leads to Greenville, most of the traffic on US-70 would likely stay on US-70 through Kinston since it would be much shorter than going around the north side. I don't think NCDOT can add a direct connection to I-95 from the Selma bypass because one of the requirements to meet interstate standards is that two exits can't be less than a mile apart from each other, which would put I-95 in violation, and according to Google Maps, they're less than a mile apart. Unless NCDOT does some major realignment of the Selma Bypass, NCDOT will have to leave it as is, so the interstate-to-interstate connection there would be similar to how I-70 is in Breezewood, Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina