Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times

Advertisements

One of the major causes for the failure of the GTP so far is lack of interstate or freeway access. NCDOT should have had plans for upgrading US 70 to freeway between I-95 and Kinston before the GTP thing even got off the ground. Like someone said above, many major companies will not even consider locating in a city that doesn't have interstate access. The 40-50 miles of stop and go traffic on US 70 between the GTP and I-95 turns many companies off.

I personally could never see why US 70 wasn't upgraded to freeway before US 64. Past Rocky Mount there is pretty much no town of significant size on 64 while US 70 continued through Goldsboro, Kinston, New Bern, and then down to the port at Morehead City. Guess getting that freeway from Raleigh to the Outer Banks was more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Wonder what ENC would look like if I-40 was extended to Morehead City, as originally planned, instead of Wilmington.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Wonder what ENC would look like if I-40 was extended to Morehead City, as originally planned, instead of Wilmington.
It would be what Wilmington is today. Bigger cities without freeway access, like Myrtle Beach, are an anomaly.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Well hopefully we will find out if they can continue doing Highway 70. There are some reasonably sized cities along that route...Goldsboro, Kinston, New Bern and Morehead C...and of course an Interstate would have uses for the Military as well as the Port and the GTP. There are a lot of reasons to do it...and its been too long really to get momentum...its been almost 25 years since I-40 has been done to Wilmington.

I would suggest that had that been done 25 years ago population would not have declined as much as it has in Kinston, Goldsboro and Havelock would have more military expansion and Morehead City/Atlantic Beach would have been a huge redevelopment project. And New Bern's historic district would have had huge investments in it.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
I just don't understand the point of this. Eastern NC will not prosper from this interstate...if that is what you want to call it. It is a HORRIBLE idea. It will sink so many small towns. How could anyone think this will be an advantage to New Bern??? It will just take traffic around New Bern...and all the local businesses. The GTP was put in a bad place...period. Havelock??? Are you kidding me??? That place will DIE...I know because I lived there. all that through traffic will be gone. Pawn shops will sink...along with other locally owned stores. But the really small towns will really be the ones that die!! Well...they will be there...but you will not ever want to step foot there. For example...I have a farm in Saratoga NC (wilson co)...right off 264. Saratoga used to have a couple banks...grocery store...restaurants...etc...264 business runs right through town. Then they built the 264 bypass...Killed Saratoga...it is a DUMP now. All those places are gone...There is nothing. I have lived and worked all over eastern NC...if they make a 70 bypass...it will be HUGE mistake. There are areas around Raleigh and Charlotte that need this money way more. The roads here NEED improvement first! I don't know what the answer is for eastern NC...I for one like the way it is. But building useless four lane highways is not the way. Maybe they should concentrate on the downtowns and not where the next walgreens will go.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I just don't understand the point of this. Eastern NC will not prosper from this interstate...if that is what you want to call it. It is a HORRIBLE idea. It will sink so many small towns. How could anyone think this will be an advantage to New Bern??? It will just take traffic around New Bern...and all the local businesses. The GTP was put in a bad place...period. Havelock??? Are you kidding me??? That place will DIE...I know because I lived there. all that through traffic will be gone. Pawn shops will sink...along with other locally owned stores. But the really small towns will really be the ones that die!! Well...they will be there...but you will not ever want to step foot there. For example...I have a farm in Saratoga NC (wilson co)...right off 264. Saratoga used to have a couple banks...grocery store...restaurants...etc...264 business runs right through town. Then they built the 264 bypass...Killed Saratoga...it is a DUMP now. All those places are gone...There is nothing. I have lived and worked all over eastern NC...if they make a 70 bypass...it will be HUGE mistake. There are areas around Raleigh and Charlotte that need this money way more. The roads here NEED improvement first! I don't know what the answer is for eastern NC...I for one like the way it is. But building useless four lane highways is not the way. Maybe they should concentrate on the downtowns and not where the next walgreens will go.
You are focusing more on the "bypass" angle and less on the development it can bring.....what are they bypassing? Pawn Shops in Havelock? Run down gas stations and motels in Kinston?

The idea is to "open it up" to the world, which is exactly what happened when I-40 was built to Wilmington. Not just Wilmington has prospered, but also Brunswick Co, Pender Co, Duplin Co and even a few small areas of Sampson Co where there was nothing and now there are some businesses at exits...

You can't have expansion of the local economy without access. I stand by my earlier post of what the difference would be...instead of retraction in many places, you would have some expansion (with still a little retraction of the areas bypassed). These towns have to give folks a reason to stop, that's up to them, its not a roads fault a town is dying, it happens with or without a road if they continue infighting and not work together toward progress.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
So where does the bypass get built? Through the croatan???

Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
So where does the bypass get built? Through the croatan???
I guess...here's a map of the on-going 70 study at NC DOT.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US70co...roject_Map.pdf

This map may be a little obsolete....Kinston is pushing for its bypass to go North through the GTP...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinsto...nBypassMap.pdf

Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I guess...here's a map of the on-going 70 study at NC DOT.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US70co...roject_Map.pdf

This map may be a little obsolete....Kinston is pushing for its bypass to go North through the GTP...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinsto...nBypassMap.pdf
Not even the state thinks GTP is worthwhile. If they had it to do all over again, I bet they'd listen to the consultants that said the economic model wasn't viable.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Not even the state thinks GTP is worthwhile. If they had it to do all over again, I bet they'd listen to the consultants that said the economic model wasn't viable.
I agree that the model was not a sound one....they put the cart before the horse....what they needed to do was convert Highway 70 to Interstate type road (like from Dover to New Bern) and connect Kinston to the port in Morehead City and to I-95, then look at the model. They were so focused on the "air" idea and that companies would locate next to the airport that they didn't consider the shipping of supplies in and out of those companies ON THE ROADS. There was such an inadequate road system to Kinston it made it a failed concept. Certainly rail access also had something to do with it.

What's ironic is that the point of the GTP was a reaction to the loss of manufacturing jobs in ENC, which was due/has been due to the lack of an adequate road structure in ENC.

You can see that with or without the GTP, the State should have put its efforts in addressing the roads that lead to commerce and jobs FIRST. As well that map also shows the "out of touch" mentality of the DOT in that they were considering putting a bypass for Kinston in without considering the economical impact in Kinston...because their only concern was a bypass...there is nothing south of Kinston, all of the manufacturing is north of Kinston including a huge former P&G plant between Kinston and Grifton. This shows you how out of touch the DOT is in their road planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina