Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Unless you live in the ghetto, Boston is not that much safer than Philly. Thats the bottom line.
That's the case for basically any city though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree, T-Mac.

You simpy can't throw out certain undesirable neighborhoods and say that "they don't count": you take the bad with the good and make judgements.

North Philly, and parts of West Philly, are much worse than Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, and as a result, Philly on the whole suffers a little bit by comparison.
the argument is not that these areas "don't count". Philly has a worse crime rate than Boston. No one is denying that.

The issue is we are talking about which city is better. So whether Point Breeze is worse than Mattapan and North Philly is worse than Dorchester isn't really that important. The ghettos in Boston are not an asset to the city. They are hindrance. To say that Roxbury is better than Point Breeze does not make a compelling argument for Boston being a better city than Philly.

Which ever city you end up deciding is "better" will like be determined by the strength of the positive attributes of the city... not the strength of the poor attributes.

Unless the crime is hindering otherwise great neighborhoods from shinning i just don't think it plays a very big role. So Strawberry Mansion is blighted by extreme crime... would you go there otherwise? How is it relevant to this discussion then?

Anyway that's i'm pretty sure what others are saying, and i certainly feel the same way. The crime rate in Point Breeze is a problem in Philly, but no one in their right mind would go there and it doesn't make the positives of philly any less positive, doesn't hinder them in anyway, so it's just not relevant.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
If I couldn't live in Philly, I wouldn't cry too many tears if Boston was my fallback. The question posed by the OP, however is which is the Number 2 city in the Northeast. The answer is simple to me: the Number 5 MSA (Philly) out-trumps the No. 10 MSA (Boston).

Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
That's what I'm saying. Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
the argument is not that these areas "don't count". Philly has a worse crime rate than Boston. No one is denying that.

The issue is we are talking about which city is better. So whether Point Breeze is worse than Mattapan and North Philly is worse than Dorchester isn't really that important. The ghettos in Boston are not an asset to the city. They are hindrance. To say that Roxbury is better than Point Breeze does not make a compelling argument for Boston being a better city than Philly.

Which ever city you end up deciding is "better" will like be determined by the strength of the positive attributes of the city... not the strength of the poor attributes.

Unless the crime is hindering otherwise great neighborhoods from shinning i just don't think it plays a very big role. So Strawberry Mansion is blighted by extreme crime... would you go there otherwise? How is it relevant to this discussion then?

Anyway that's i'm pretty sure what others are saying, and i certainly feel the same way. The crime rate in Point Breeze is a problem in Philly, but no one in their right mind would go there and it doesn't make the positives of philly any less positive, doesn't hinder them in anyway, so it's just not relevant.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Of course you wouldn't because this event is a Philly thing. I can show you multiple events in DC that you wouldn't see in either city! No city does festivals, protest, marches and celebrations like DC.

Massive snowball fight, Dupont Circle DC, Feb 6 2010 blizzard (1) - YouTube

Obama Street Party in DC - YouTube

The Osama's Dead Celebration At The White House Part 3 - YouTube

Honestly these are not even that interesting or unique to DC, they are more national, but on that will play along (well national sans snowballs, but that unique to DC, hardly if anything new and similar to all the other cities that have had this for years)

Massive Snowball Fight - Philadelphia - Feb 10th 2010 - YouTube

Philadelphia Obama Celebration - YouTube

SportsCenter Late Show Open Following Mets vs. Phillies on May 1st - Fans Rejoice bin Laden's Death - YouTube
This one live time

But honestly next time actually show something original and non mainstream

Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
One would never guess from the comments on this thread that Philly residents tend toward a provincial-inferiority complex....just sayin.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
One would never guess from the comments on this thread that Philly residents tend toward a provincial-inferiority complex....just sayin.
...as opposed to the residents of any other city represented on this board? Let's not be blatantly discriminatory in our criticisms, here. Even some folks from Chicago and New York feel the need to "prove" the qualities of their cities. It's just the nature of the beast with these types of conversations.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-19-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
Cheap shot. It's so easy to put a Boston or SF resident into defensive rant mode, and you don't have to flat-out insult their cities to provoke it. With Philly it's usually "the city is nothing but slums" kind of comments that trigger defensive responses.

Quote:

Last edited by Dub King; 08-19-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
I am curious how long you have been away from the city (assuming you lived here at some point with that zip); for as much as some seem positive views it tends to feel you have an extreme negative slant on Philly always. While I see many areas that can be improved, including provincial attitudes, I find these to be becoming more and more limited to specific areas every year. I like Philly personaly and have spent time living in 3 other so-called great cities and on whole am happy to back in Philly.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
I believe the conventional wisdom that Philly sports an inferiority complex may be unfounded. When I told folks in Houston I was moving to Philly, about half were appalled I'd move anywhere north. The other half, however, told me how great Philly is or how great they heard it is. It may be that the natives of the area are finally waking up to the fact that they live in a gem of a city. To quote you:
Quote:
....just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City