Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
My thought is, 183 is still a highway. People choose the non-toll lanes if they don’t care to be speedy. They can also go around the truck and get on the toll if it annoys them that much. Or, make a turn and go down “local” roads.
The 183 in Cedar Park and Leander area is a suburban arterial, not the access roads like they are on 183 between 45 and 71. The access roads in this area end at Whitestone and force you to get on the toll road but U.S. 183 is a separate street with a center turn lane median between Cedar Park and Leander, kinda like FM 620 between 45 and Anderson Mill Rd.

I wouldn’t really care if they stay on access roads but suburban arterial streets are not made for large wind turbines while cars are zipping in and out of shopping plazas / restaurants / ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 03:39 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
I still stand by my opinion. The regular non-tolled highway is the best choice.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
I still stand by my opinion. The regular non-tolled highway is the best choice.
Have you driven 183 between North Austin and Leander lately? I can’t even begin to imagine one of those blades trying to maneuver through Cedar Park and Leander on 183 unless it was in the middle of the night. 183 in that stretch isn’t much of a highway at all - more like a secondary road through the middle of town. The stoplights alone would be seriously problematic let alone the traffic turning into and off the road into businesses. The toll road from Lakeline to Leander would be a much better option.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Have you driven 183 between North Austin and Leander lately? I can’t even begin to imagine one of those blades trying to maneuver through Cedar Park and Leander on 183 unless it was in the middle of the night. 183 in that stretch isn’t much of a highway at all - more like a secondary road through the middle of town. The stoplights alone would be seriously problematic let alone the traffic turning into and off the road into businesses. The toll road from Lakeline to Leander would be a much better option.
I’ve been stuck in traffic behind one on 183 on the east side pre toll road, which I’d compare to what 183 up your way feels like today. I was able to get into another lane and get around it. The last time I was that far north was maybe three years ago. I’m still sticking with my opinion and this is a generally silly topic to argue about.

The weather this morning was lovely, by the way.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I’ve been stuck in traffic behind one on 183 on the east side pre toll road, which I’d compare to what 183 up your way feels like today. I was able to get into another lane and get around it. The last time I was that far north was maybe three years ago. I’m still sticking with my opinion and this is a generally silly topic to argue about.

The weather this morning was lovely, by the way.
Pre-Tollroad 183 East Side was atleast a divided highway with a fairly large median and I don’t think it had as many establishments as 183 thru Cedar Park / Leander does. Pre-Tolled 183 East side is more comparable to 183 thru Liberty Hill. There are times I literally just cut across to RR/Parmer as to avoid dealing with 183 when I go non-tolled. The 183 here is basically an ordinary surface street with no median and a center left turn lane.

https://goo.gl/maps/nBTVZdfzvrr4ihVX8

Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 AM

The weather was fabulous this morning.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
The weather was fabulous this morning.
Haven’t been outside yet but for what it’s worth that cold front that came in yesterday triggered my arthritis in my left knee. Broke it in college playing football. Can still run / jog normally and didn’t need surgery but my body has its own way of predicting the weather it seems. I don’t need a weather channel, I can literally feel it coming.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Haven’t been outside yet but for what it’s worth that cold front that came in yesterday triggered my arthritis in my left knee. Broke it in college playing football. Can still run / jog normally and didn’t need surgery but my body has its own way of predicting the weather it seems. I don’t need a weather channel, I can literally feel it coming.
That’s not uncommon for people with joint issues. I went for an eight mile run and knocked off a good thirty seconds off my run last week and kept up with a faster group then I did last week. My body cannot do warmth when running which is why I run between September and February and take time off after.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 AM

So, does anyone think there’s any point to a security system / cameras these days?

Property theft has gone way up here in Leander ranging from nabbing door packages, raiding unlocked cars to full out burglaries. I do have a ring.com doorbell but I know that in on itself is not enough a deterrent but from what I am reading and seeing some of these instances are even occurring while people are at home and they seem not to care about cameras. I know of one that was so desperate that they even evaded the homeowners dogs and still broke in and got what they wanted. I’ve read that some of them send in children because they are not on the system and cannot easily be identified. Add onto that only approximately 8% of those who commit these crimes are actually caught kind of eludes me to believe that a security system / cameras probably aren’t going to help very much. Much of this I follow on Nextdoor but unfortunately there is now some press on the issues as well.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:40 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So, does anyone think there’s any point to a security system / cameras these days?

Property theft has gone way up here in Leander ranging from nabbing door packages, raiding unlocked cars to full out burglaries. I do have a ring.com doorbell but I know that in on itself is not enough a deterrent but from what I am reading and seeing some of these instances are even occurring while people are at home and they seem not to care about cameras. I know of one that was so desperate that they even evaded the homeowners dogs and still broke in and got what they wanted. I’ve read that some of them send in children because they are not on the system and cannot easily be identified. Add onto that only approximately 8% of those who commit these crimes are actually caught kind of eludes me to believe that a security system / cameras probably aren’t going to help very much. Much of this I follow on Nextdoor but unfortunately there is now some press on the issues as well.
Turn your motion notification on and look at it when you are notified. Recording someone for after the fact is likely to not be useful. But it is useful for catching them in the act. I start to get notified by my cameras when people come up my driveway and it pops up on my computer screen almost immediately. I use blueiris and non cloud based cameras. Blue iris lets you see every camera at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin