Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yup. I specifically asked about it during the hiring process given it would be working with Hospitals.

Specifically if a member became ill, he / she would take the time off needed to recover and return. Their policy however did not cover what would incur should a outbreak occur.

The problem I have is, they shut down the whole operation even for those who are not ill and are unwilling to allow us to work even remotely should we test negative. Specifically, they had plans on what to do should 'a' employee become ill, but absolutely none for an outbreak event where 'several' may become ill. There are alot of things we can do remotely in this role but they chose to keep their employees coming in onsite 8x5 which ultimately lead to an environment conducive to spread. I don't mind not coming into the office due to an outbreak, but don't shut down the whole operation when there are still many things we can do without physical contact making every employee take 2 weeks without pay even if they don't have it. All through this operation they spent the entire weekend plus Monday and Tuesday trying to figure out how to proceed, they simply put, had no policy designed for this circumstance. It's something I feel they should have been very well prepared for not long after the Pandemic began, they chose to mostly ignore it.

Most employers in IT have switched remote. Dell, Google, EA, PayPal, IBM, Spectrum, all of them are working mostly remote or doing as much remote as they possibly can while evading as much physical contact as possible, this didn't become a thought for this employer until something actually happened.
I’m in person even though my work can be done remotely. I’m doing it. If you need a job suck it up and do it. I’d rather be at home in my pajamas but here I am, alone, no one within three classrooms of me, doing the same work I could be at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 08:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I’m in person even though my work can be done remotely. I’m doing it. If you need a job suck it up and do it. I’d rather be at home in my pajamas but here I am, alone, no one within three classrooms of me, doing the same work I could be at home.
I don't think he is saying he is against working in person, he is jut put out by the fact that his current contract job chose to shutdown entirely instead of work at home.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don't think he is saying he is against working in person, he is jut put out by the fact that his current contract job chose to shutdown entirely instead of work at home.
It sounds like he frustrated with the idea that they won't let him work at all. And I'm assuming that this was outlined in the COVID protocol when he was hired. And since it's a contract position he should have weighed those options before accepting the position. But I also hear frustration that he can't work remotely when "all the others" are working remotely. As I recall he's in some medical contract thing. Hospitals are essential and 99.9% of that work is done on site. It's probably a lot like my position, even though I can be remote, it's unfair to say that I can work at home when all the teachers and support staff is on site. I am happy to be on campus with everyone else. Especially in big organizations, it's a sweeping decision and not done individually. Everyone has to be there.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:38 AM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Ashbeeigh you’re still missing the point. This has nothing to do with my desire or willingness to come onsite or not, this has everything to do with them not prioritizing backup operations in the midist of a Pandemic where we could continue our operations in the event we cannot go onsite. They shut the whole operation down. How is anyone getting support when the whole operation is down? Wouldn’t you prefer we be able to do something during times of physical inaccessibility rather than nothing at all? Remote should have been heavily considered should an event occur that we cannot come onsite. It’s pretty standard through even non-remote operation should events occur where inclement weather or a sudden disaster incur prohibiting workers from occupying the facility throughout IT. The only things we do onsite in hospitals are replace routers / switches / and Fiber / Cat5/6 patch cables. That’s it. We are not doctors. Everything we can do from our office is accessed through a VPN tunnel. That same VPN is accessible through the WAN with the appropriate credentials. I’m failing to understand the big issue in performing literally the same tasks and operations from my desk as I can from the office. The only time I do need to go there is to replace physical equipment.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-18-2020 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Ashbeeigh you’re still missing the point. They shut the whole operation down. How is anyone getting support when the whole operation is down? Wouldn’t you prefer we be able to do something during times of physical inaccessibility rather than nothing at all? Remote should have been heavily considered should an event occur that we cannot come onsite. It’s pretty standard through even non-remote operation should events occur where inclement weather or a sudden disaster incur prohibiting workers from occupying the facility throughout IT. The only things we do onsite in hospitals are replace routers / switches / and Fiber / Cat5/6 patch cables. That’s it. We are not doctors. Everything we can do from our office is accessed through a VPN tunnel. That same VPN is accessible through the WAN with the appropriate credentials. I’m failing to understand the big issue in performing literally the same tasks and operations from my desk as I can from the office. The only time I do need to go there is to replace physical equipment.
It makes sense to us as humans. But, corporations make sweeping decisions. And they don't look at individual projects. That was my point in saying that I could work from home too but I'm not and I'm here on campus and I'm not complaining. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't. But there's nothing you or I can do about it.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:59 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
likely they are actually trying to save money for a bit. Are you able to claim the special covid unemployment?

Old 11-18-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
likely they are actually trying to save money for a bit. Are you able to claim the special covid unemployment?
Admittedly I was thinking this too. I admittedly havent yet shut down my unemployment claim yet, but I also didn't claim any hours for the past two weeks, If I take this time unpaid I will just use my unemployment.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:29 PM

242 posts, read 206,945 times
Homeless camps.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Homeless camps.
You just couldn't keep it in ya for a day could ya, lips were all zipped up hand over your mouth and you went to take a breath and poof 'homeless camps' came right out of your mouth! Thats the way to change the topic and add 20 pages to any thread! I'm actually disputing similar topics in the Georgia forums or I might bite

Old 11-18-2020, 02:03 PM

242 posts, read 206,945 times
Quote:
You just couldn't keep it in ya for a day could ya, lips were all zipped up hand over your mouth and you went to take a breath and poof 'homeless camps' came right out of your mouth! Thats the way to change the topic and add 20 pages to any thread! I'm actually disputing similar topics in the Georgia forums or I might bite
It's a form of Tourette's Syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin