Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is more fun when more people are participating.
I've been lurking on this thread lately, but haven't had a lot of time to look things up to come up with an answer. I do enjoy learning the things that are being posted, and I even occasionally come up with the right answer to some of the questions. I am glad that you all are keeping it going, and I look forward to some questions I might be able to answer soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I've been lurking on this thread lately, but haven't had a lot of time to look things up to come up with an answer. I do enjoy learning the things that are being posted, and I even occasionally come up with the right answer to some of the questions. I am glad that you all are keeping it going, and I look forward to some questions I might be able to answer soon.
We've hit 70 pages so I think it's a hit. But I gotta tell you, some of the questions are tough. But thats a good thing, they should be in order to make us think. haha I know it hurts when I think..... What was I saying?

Actually, this thread has taught me a lot about this great state.

Jdavid, give it a shot. I promise, we won't point and giggle if you get it wrong. Well, maybe a little.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
@ElkHunter, I have been impressed with some of the answers you have come up with, that did not depend on "google search results". I really enjoy your participation and hope you will decide to continue when you have time.

I agree with ElkHunter, this thread has impressed me with how "Wonderful" "Wonderful Wyoming" really is.

I was aware that Wyoming had many "wonders" before participating in this thread, but now I'm astounded at how many more "wonders" there are that I was not aware of. It is an amazing place.

I'm thinking of buying a 4WD just so I can explore more of Wyoming back roads in the summer time. I want to visit some of the remote areas that I have not seen before. Growing up there my family explored a heck of a lot of back roads in a 2WD GMC pickup and a Pontiac station wagon. Frequently bottoming out and occasionally having to be pulled/pushed off of a high spot when we got stuck. I'm excited thinking of what places I could get to with a 4WD and better ground clearance.

@ wyoquilter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I'm going to take this as I got the answer correct.

Okay for my question.

In June of 1931 Rock Springs had a famous visitor drop in. Who was it and why did they drop in?
Yes, you got it correct, sorry I was not more clear about that.

I have not forgotten your question, I'm still searching, but have not found the answer yet but have not given up.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
In June of 1931 Rock Springs had a famous visitor drop in. Who was it and why did they drop in?

Amelia Earhart landed her Autogiro at the Rock Springs airport on June 4, 1931 during her Beech-Nut Transcontinental Tour. She had lunch before continuing on to Salt Lake City. She crashed it the following week, June 11, during take-off from Abilene, TX.

She also visited Cheyenne, Laramie, Parco and LeRoy. (I've never heard of Parco or LeRoy, WY.)

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-02-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Amelia Earhart landed her Autogiro at the Rock Springs airport on June 4, 1931 during her Beech-Nut Transcontinental Tour. She had lunch before continuing on to Salt Lake City. She crashed it the following week, June 11, during take-off from Abilene, TX.

She also visited Cheyenne, Laramie, Parco and LeRoy. (I've never heard of Parco or LeRoy, WY.)
You got it.

Now it is your turn.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I'll tell you what. This thread has really impressed me as to the thoughtfulness and consideration that everybody has put into it.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 AM

It's a great thread, Elk Hunter. I commend you for starting it.

Here's an easy one. It's been in the news lately, as the site will soon become a rest area on I-90 in NE Wyoming. 3500 years ago it was more important to area residents, as it supplied our prehistoric people with 20,000 bison for food, clothing and shelter. What's it called?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM

215 posts, read 667,737 times
Don't know about it becoming a rest area but would it be the Vore Buffalo Jump between Sundance and Beulah?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Don't know about it becoming a rest area but would it be the Vore Buffalo Jump between Sundance and Beulah?

That's the one. It's an interesting dig, and the visitor center (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/10/26/news/today/news04.txt - broken link) being built there should make it more interesting. The Wyoming Travel Commission is currently seeking donations of specific items for permanent display to fill 3,000 square feet of exhibit space. It's an $8 million facility. Should be a pretty fancy toilet, eh!

Now it's your turn for a question.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
The Vore Buffalo Jump is an interesting find, here is more about it About the Vore Buffalo Jump (http://www.s201264329.onlinehome.us/about_the_vore_buffalo_jump.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming