Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 6,326,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Going to be busy shipping calves to Riverton tomorrow, so if I right here goes, if not just move on.
[SIZE=3]In his autobiography he wrote how he left Utah, thinking he had killed another kid. Then he ran around Wyoming with a group of outlaws. He and a partner wintered in Star Valley. The next spring as law men came over Crow Creek, he his partner and their new wives took a team and sleigh toward Fort Hall in Idaho getting away. After he was pardoned he became a county Sherriff in Utah.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Who was this guy?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hint he was Butch Cassidy’s mentor[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,204,757 times
I believe that was Tom McCarty.

Tom McCarty

Correction, it was probably Matt Warner, they both are associated with Butch Cassidy and both became sherrifs in later years: http://climb-utah.com/Roost/rrhistory.htm
Quote:
Willard Erastus Christianson was born in Ephraim, Utah in 1864 and is better known as Matt Warner, the name he took at the outset of his bandit life. Warner was the son of a Swedish father and a German mother who had come to Utah as converts to the Mormon Church, he had gotten into a fight with another young man and thought he had beaten him to death. He ran off and joined a band of rustlers to begin his life as an outlaw, he was 14-years-old. He occasionally operated out of the Robbers Roost area. Out of all the hideout's he used over the years, Warner considered Robbers Roost to be the most impregnable.

While on the run he married a girl named Rose Morgan and ran a cattle ranch in Big Bend, Washington. After several robberies he, his wife and daughter, Hayda, returned to the Diamond Mountain area of Utah. He lived there peacefully until killing two men in a shooting scrape that earned him five years in the Utah Sate Prison. His wife died while he was in prison. With good behavior he received an early release. Warner remarried and settled in Carbon County, Utah. Warner ran for public office under his real name, Willard Erastus Christianson, and lost. He had his name officially changed to Matt Warner, the name most people knew him by, and was elected justice of the peace and then served as a deputy sheriff. Later he was a night guard and detective in Price, Utah. He kept his wild side happy by bootlegging. Matt died a peaceful death, rare for an outlaw, in 1938 at the age of seventy-four.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-14-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,296,100 times
Dog-gone-it, CptnRn, you beat me to it. My answer was going to be Willard Christiansen, aka Matt Warner, aka Matt Willard, aka Ras Lewis.

It was a little confusing, because I also found references that Tom McCarty and Mike Cassidy were each considered mentors of Butch Cassidy.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I believe that was Tom McCarty.

Tom McCarty

Correction, it was probably Matt Warner, they both are associated with Butch Cassidy and both became sherrifs in later years: Robbers Roost History
Yes,
"

Matt and Tom spent the winter of 1889-1890 in Star Valley, south of Jackson, Wyoming on the Idaho-Wyoming border, using the names Tom Smith and Matt Willard. Matt married a fourteen-year-old girl named Rosa Rumel. Tom's wife had died and he married Sarah Lemberg.
Hard times fell on Star Valley that winter and the only storekeeper in Afton, Wyoming refused to extend any credit. Matt and Tom held him at gunpoint while the settlers took what they needed, then paid the man half his price. Such antics, to some extent probably apocryphal, were not necessarily done from any Christian charity; every outlaw knew he would need a place to lay up for a while and these acts of generosity with someone else's money bought a lot of friends. As the valley became more accessible that Spring, so did Matt and Tom. Moving on again, the two outlaws and their wives went to Butte, Montana where they blew the rest of their proceeds from Telluride. When the money was nearly gone, the wives were sent back to Star Valley; Matt and Tom headed out to Haines, Oregon."David F. Norman
more here,Inlaw to Outlaw (http://www.gunnyragg.com/inlaw.htm - broken link)

Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM

That was a fun one, although I never found a reference to the sleigh ride. I too originally was coming up with Mike Cassidy as a mentor.

Sorry WyoNewk, you can take comfort in knowing that these kinds of web searches and research is really good for our brains.

Quote:
Googling Fights Dementia, Study Suggests "Becoming involved in new things and keeping your brain active are all hallmarks of activities that would tend to preserve your cognitive skills," Bookheimer said. "And these are all things that searching the Internet for new information really does."
OK this one should be easy.

Which Wyoming critter tastes like lobster?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM

ling cod

Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,147,646 times
Quote:
That was a fun one, although I never found a reference to the sleigh ride. I too originally was coming up with Mike Cassidy as a mentor.

Sorry WyoNewk, you can take comfort in knowing that these kinds of web searches and research is really good for our brains.

Rocky Mountain Oysters?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,871,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
Rocky Mountain Oysters?
I thought those were supposed to taste like chicken. LOL!!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,871,698 times
Quote:

Crawfish/Crawdads/crayfish

Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM

Those critters might taste like lobster, but they are not the answer I am looking for. Sorry, no correct answers yet.

Hint: One of the few places you can get a license to hunt this critter is Douglas, Wyoming. Also in 2005 the Wyoming state legislature passed a bill to give this critter officially recognized status.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-15-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming