Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Yeah!

Okay, What was the little town of Story, WY going to be named originally and who was the one that was going to give it that name?
Hint: The person who was going to name it something other than Story was a horse trader with the initials M. W. who was first to plat/plot it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Those clues helped, I was coming up blank before.

Quote:
Story was first platted by a horse trader, Marshall Wolf, who was going to name the town after himself but was dismayed to find that Wolf, WY already existed nearby. The town was instead named after Charles B. Story, a rancher who was instrumental in getting a post office established – the first building in what had until then been a town made up of only tent structures.
I see that Wolf, Wyoming still exists today, not far from Story. Its a small place off the beaten path south of Dayton. Google Maps shows a few buildings there.

I am assuming my answer is correct, and since I have to go to a seminar today, here is my next question, you can ignore it if I'm wrong.

Complete this sentence:

__ _____ __ in Casper, Wyoming is the longest ______ ______ _______ in the United States.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-20-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

I see that Wolf, Wyoming still exists today, not far from Story. Its a small place off the beaten path south of Dayton. Google Maps shows a few buildings there.

I am assuming my answer is correct, and since I have to go to a seminar today, here is my next question, you can ignore it if I'm wrong.

Complete this sentence:

__ _____ __ in Casper, Wyoming is the longest ______ ______ _______ in the United States.
You are correct!!

Marshall Wolf was my great uncle's grandfather. Also another of Marshall Wolf's grandsons became a judge in Sheridan County.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
LOL!! that was funny. Sorry tho that is not the answer I was looking for, even though it does sound better than the story behind Story that I found.
I'm glad you found it funny, as it was meant to be. I haven't yet found a "Story story," so that's why I made one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
How about a hint. This one's got me stumped. I thought I knew the answer but when I went to verify it, I found out I was out to lunch. haha
I'm stumped, too. Google wasn't even much help on this one.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Complete this sentence:

Probably not what your looking for but:

Wyoming Walleye Circuit in Casper, is well known throughout the west as the longest running competitive Walleye Circuits in the country.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Probably not what your looking for but:

Wyoming Walleye Circuit in Casper, is well known throughout the west as the longest running competitive Walleye Circuits in the country.
Sorry, that is not it. Very creative answer though. Here is a hint:

__ _____ __ in Casper, Wyoming is the longest United States _______ in the United States.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Complete this sentence:

I Think I got it,

US Route 20 in Casper, Wy is the longest United States Highway in the United States.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Very good, you got it. Congratulations, your turn.

Quote:
U.S. Route 20 is an east-west United States highway. As the "0" in its route number implies, U.S. 20 is a coast-to-coast route; however, because national park roads do not have signage for U.S. numbered highways, a gap exists through Yellowstone National Park and splits the route into two sections. Spanning 3,365 miles (5,415 km), it is the longest road in the United States[2], and the route that sparsely parallels Interstate 90.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Sorry, that is not it. Very creative answer though. Here is a hint:

__ _____ __ in Casper, Wyoming is the longest United States _______ in the United States.
hahaha That wasn't created. Casper really does have the longest running Walley competition in the United States. Also the biggest club.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Very good, you got it. Congratulations, your turn.
Yeah!!

Okay, this one should be a fairly easy one.

Some of the historic downtown buildings in Sheridan, WY have the letter K engraved on top. Why was this letter engraved on these buildings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming