Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM

258 posts, read 564,931 times

Advertisements

OK, Here goes...

This is a geography lesson. This is a spot in Wyoming where the wind blows down the canyon hard enough for a grown man to lean against it (I've done it and I weigh 240 lbs) the end of the pavement even peels back when the wind blows. It's a quiet little town that I'm not sure even has a post office but they do have some of the roughest whitewater in the state including class 5+ rapids.

Hint: it's in one of the 'corners' of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM

278 posts, read 608,672 times
I've been to Clark when the wind has been blowing over 100 miles per hour, the end of the pavement is at the end of the road past Clark where the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone comes out of the canyon, the pavement may not be peeling back, but is getting worn out. Its a quiet little town, and has a post office, (at least a zip code), and there are class V rapids on the Clarks Fork river. However, it's not located in one of the corners of the state. So, if I am wrong, I will research a little longer....

Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM

258 posts, read 564,931 times
Bingo!

Technically it is on one of the corners of the state since we don't get to claim Yellowstone for anything but tourist value. I guess it's your turn!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM

The Crow Indians referred to this river as the "Tall Grass River." What is the name of this river, and what is its main "claim to fame?"

Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,299,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
The Crow Indians referred to this river as the "Tall Grass River." What is the name of this river, and what is its main "claim to fame?"
Wind River. It dissappears for over a mile.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Almost, but not quite. It does disappear, then re-appears, but it is not the Wind River.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Almost, but not quite. It does disappear, then re-appears, but it is not the Wind River.
Wind River is in fact the River the Crow named by one source. But it is fed by the Popo Agei and it's on the Popo that the water disappears and another source says that is the Tall Grass.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks Elk Hunter! You are up....
What does Popo Agie mean?
The name Popo Agie (pronounced Po-Po Zshuh) comes from the Crow Indians and means “Tall Grass River.” “Agie” means river in the Crow language and “PoPo” means tall grass or tall rye grass. The Crow named the river this because of the tall bunches of rye grass that grew along the banks of the river in the valley.

What are the Sinks and the Rise? Sinks Canyon is so named because the Middle Fork of the Popo Agie, a rushing mountain river, flows out of the Wind River Mountains and through the Canyon. Halfway down the canyon the river abruptly turns into a large limestone cavern, and the crashing water "sinks" into fissures and cracks at the back of the cave. The river is underground for 1/4 mile until it emerges down canyon in a large calm pool called "The Rise" and then continues its course into the valley below. Where the water goes while it is underground is unknown. The sinks narrow to small, unexplorable log and rock jammed fissures.
The Sinks and Rise occur in the thick, easily eroded off-white Madison Limestone formation. The amount of water flowing into the Sinks varies with the season. The average amount of water in the river is 150 cubic feet per second. During high water during spring run-off over 500 cubic feet of water per second roar down the rocky Popo Agie River channel.
For many years it was unproven that the water flowing into the Sinks was the same water flowing out at the Rise. Dye tests have proven it is the same water but have revealed other mysteries: it takes the water flowing into the Sinks over two hours to reappear at the Rise. Geologists speculate that while underground the water circulates up and down and through many narrow, winding passages and pools until it resurfaces. It was also discovered that more water flows out at the Rise than goes in at the Sinks. The additional water may be coming from underground springs or other sinks formations in the area.
It is unknown exactly how old the Sinks are although they are likely an Ice Age feature thousands of years old. The massive glaciers that carved the canyon exposed the soft limestone and the millions of gallons of water from the melting ice helped erode the underground passages

Old 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM

What Wyoming City has a jazz festival taken place every year since 1988?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,361,616 times
Quote:
The name Popo Agie (pronounced Po-Po Zshuh) comes from the Crow Indians and means “Tall Grass River.” “Agie” means river in the Crow language and “PoPo” means tall grass or tall rye grass. The Crow named the river this because of the tall bunches of rye grass that grew along the banks of the river in the valley.
I thought about the Popo Agie when I read your question, only because I remember the tall grass that's still there. The last time I visited the Sinks we had our 5-lb Yorkie with us. She liked to explore but got nervous if we weren't in sight. So off she runs ahead of us on the trail until we can no longer see her... except every few seconds this little furry head emerges above the tall grass. When in her prime she could jump 40+ inches high. I know that because she'd do the same thing when begging for food, except then you'd see her head bouncing up above the kitchen counter tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming