Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
sure, wooden houses with porches and southern style verandas are SUPER FINNISH! when I lived in Europe I got the feeling nordic, dutch and german people really try to be like the US

germans would take holidays in places like Tallahassee florida (Who wants to go to Tallahassee? hehehe) and some super excited would tell you about their experiences in Iowa

my answer was always the same.... a gigantic world full of diversity and cultures and you chose to go to Iowa? heheheh

also swedish felt very American wannabe and dutch even more, the Dutch might just as well call themselves Americans

Belgians, swiss, french, spaniards, italians, felt more proud and with more identity... but the dutch, germans, nordic folks I met it's like talking to Americans with an accent, some even try to imitate the American lingo and use words like dude, omg, whatever etc. (but with their foreign european accent obviously)

if I wanna see Americans I'll go to the US, I don't wanna go to Stockholm to see America wannabe!
FWIW, As an American, I feel the most at home in Scandinavia.
And hey Iowa? At least it wasn't Kansas

Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Double house to reduce cost. (Two families): https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.78024...GwAthW7Ekg!2e0
Do you see these in the US?
I believe they are called semi-detached houses or duplexes. Semi-detached houses are quite popular in Norway, especially in the Oslo region. You will even find them in affluent areas, sometimes costing $1 mill +.

Some examples:
Holmenkollen ($1.6 mill, 290 m² / 3,100 f²)
Snarøya ($1.48 mill, 166 m² / 1,780 f²)
Høvik ($1.7 mill, 283 m² / 3,040 f²)

I would never pay so much for semi-detached house, unless it was located in a very desirable area, like Bygdøy.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Canada. My 60's era subburb east of Toronto is much more appealing than Toronto's sterile downtown core where I work, and it doesn't suffer from Toronto's problems with crime, gun violence, homelessness, pollution, inefficient public transit and lack of quality green spaces.
There are some great neighbourhoods around downtown Toronto though.

http://goo.gl/qraJXo

http://goo.gl/0ZVMO5

http://goo.gl/4k9PBy

Old 03-22-2015, 02:15 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
FWIW, As an American, I feel the most at home in Scandinavia.
And hey Iowa? At least it wasn't Kansas
I don't know, but I was so sick of Europe.... I do art so I lived in Asia, South America, US, then Europe and now Africa

I must admit I was TIRED OF EUROPE.... I can't stand the people, the sterile atmosphere, the depressing weather, the arrogant men who think they are Gods, the meh attitudes, everyone with an iphone taking selfies and nothing with substance to say, europeans only care about fashion, pretending to be artsy, and their iphones!! I didn't find this interesting engaging folks I keep reading about... at least Americans smile and say hi!

I am now in namibia africa and I love it.... everyone smiles, talks to you.... I stand out and they can tell I am a foreigner but I LOVE IT, I FEEL SO WELCOME ON THIS BEAUTIFUL SUNNY LAND!!!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM

363 posts, read 479,829 times
Quote:
sure, wooden houses with porches and southern style verandas are SUPER FINNISH! when I lived in Europe I got the feeling nordic, dutch and german people really try to be like the US

germans would take holidays in places like Tallahassee florida (Who wants to go to Tallahassee? hehehe) and some super excited would tell you about their experiences in Iowa

my answer was always the same.... a gigantic world full of diversity and cultures and you chose to go to Iowa? heheheh

also swedish felt very American wannabe and dutch even more, the Dutch might just as well call themselves Americans

Belgians, swiss, french, spaniards, italians, felt more proud and with more identity... but the dutch, germans, nordic folks I met it's like talking to Americans with an accent, some even try to imitate the American lingo and use words like dude, omg, whatever etc. (but with their foreign european accent obviously)

if I wanna see Americans I'll go to the US, I don't wanna go to Stockholm to see America wannabe!
Yeah maybe wooden houses with porches and southern style verandas arent super finnish and maybe swedes are wannabe americans and all that stuff, but these houses in Bergen were built before America as we know it existed

Old 03-22-2015, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I love living in the burbs, but I really would like to spend a few years living in a mid-sized European city.
At different times in my life I have wanted different lifestyles.
Absolutely right. We change as we get older and want different things. I often thought that I might move further out the older I get, but now I'm not sure.
Where I currently live there is an influx of empty nesters selling the house and moving into downtown. The reasoning is walkability to everything. My sister's mother-in-law is the latest one I know to have done this.
I had lunch with her the other day ( she's been living downtown for a year now ) and she was so glad she moved from the small town she lived in. She's 70 but walks and takes transit everywhere. One night the Opera, the next dinner with friends etc. It's the myriad of choices that she moved for and is taking advantage of.

She made me rethink my future plans. Instead of moving out, I may move within, just to a less busy neighbourhood and street.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Yeah maybe wooden houses with porches and southern style verandas arent super finnish and maybe swedes are wannabe americans and all that stuff, but these houses in Bergen were built before America as we know it existed
those houses are not american looking

but those Finnish suburbs with verandas, and big doors and porches are COPIES OF THE USA!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 PM

https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.78042...Undsz0w-DA!2e0

tell me this is not USA wannabe

Old 03-22-2015, 02:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times
Quote:
Looks like a house I would see in my hometown in New England. It would probably be by the water

Looks like this one

Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:

Really? Germans never gave me that impression, but i noticed that Swedish and Dutch seem more interested in American culture, for example there are far more suburbs built in a way similar to the USA there, it seems especially in the Netherlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.