Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,690,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Double house to reduce cost. (Two families): https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.78024...GwAthW7Ekg!2e0
Do you see these in the US?

Nordic style rowhouse: https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.77959...Fyl3CqdgHQ!2e0

]
My sister lives in a Double house in a new community in Florida.
We have row houses, especially in the mid atlantic area

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Do you know any countries where suburbs and outskirts of the cities are beautiful?
Canada. My 60's era subburb east of Toronto is much more appealing than Toronto's sterile downtown core where I work, and it doesn't suffer from Toronto's problems with crime, gun violence, homelessness, pollution, inefficient public transit and lack of quality green spaces.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
It actually looks a lot like the houses we have in the wealthier hoods in the Netherlands. Ever heard of the Dutch architect Rietveld? This style is a lot like it

I've actually seen a lot of this kind of farm houses when I was in Varmland, Sweden. But of course the Americans developed their own style over time.
No, but the style looks indeed similar.

Same style yes, but that's maybe not the most typical style for old farmhouses, at least here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
My sister lives in a Double house in a new community in Florida.
Interesting. Didn't know they existed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook Taylor Parks View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.212325,-76.957326,3a,75y,84.83h,79.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNVIzt178XRQlRhWT7Oal2g!2e0

I like my hellhole

That looks like an rural setting. I say it once again, that is not what I meant with a hellhole, but this: https://goo.gl/maps/4IXjZ

Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Interesting. Didn't know they existed there.

https://goo.gl/maps/4IXjZ
They don't all look like the one you posted but double houses, often known as duplexes, are not uncommon

Old 03-22-2015, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Double house to reduce cost. (Two families): https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.78024...GwAthW7Ekg!2e0
Do you see these in the US?
Most suburbs from the mid to late 20th century don't have them, older areas in some parts of the country, mainly the Northeast have them. Most common in Pennsylvania, not so common in the western US — older homes were mostly single family detached there. Here's an example near me:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2745...71RJJtFTxg!2e0

Not the nicest of examples, it's 100 year old housing built then for local factory workers. Factory is gone, but survives as lower end homes — seemed like there were a lot of children in that neighborhood. In an area with very cheap housing, these may have seen decay or abandonment. Nicer example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3107...6nXtpuZRzQ!2e0

More common in New England is one unit above the other, rather than side by side. But those mean it's harder for both units to be owner-occupied rather one being a rental. New neighborhoods of "doubles" not far from the first example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2739.../data=!3m1!1e3

not that different from those "sardine suburbs" you criticized. But it's surrounded by preserved land, including a wetland area and a small mountain nearby. Bike path passes through connecting it with two nice town centers. Wouldn't mind it that much.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But it's not due to moral superiority. In Europe, affordable (to the average consumer) and habitable land is in much shorter supply than it is in the US.
I already gave you the answer in the other thread, i agree, a different environment leads to a different view on the subject and lifestyle

Old 03-22-2015, 01:52 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I'm actually a partizan of suburbs that look like that. They look like a futuristic neighborhood. Homes in the outer suburbs in Australia are starting to look like that way.

A planned suburb in Sydney's west:
Really, they look monothone if anything, i prefer older suburbs in the North Eastern USA (They are the only kind of suburb i actually like, especially as they are close to their city centers), i have to admit they have character and are even better and more appealing when there are commercial avenues close by.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Ha! The complete opposite for me. Just take the elevator and you're down on the street with shops and cafés. Perfect!
I'm the same. I love how on a busy Friday night when I'm walking home there are tons of people on the street coming and going. Shops, cafe, restaurants etc. Full of life.

Within a minute I'm back home in my condo ( great views of the city and water ) which is extremely quiet, surprisingly so.

When I stay overnight at friends in the burbs, the next morning I can't wait to get back to the city.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm the same. I love how on a busy Friday night when I'm walking home there are tons of people on the street coming and going. Shops, cafe, restaurants etc. Full of life.

Within a minute I'm back home in my condo ( great views of the city and water ) which is extremely quiet, surprisingly so.

When I stay overnight at friends in the burbs, the next morning I can't wait to get back to the city.
I love living in the burbs, but I really would like to spend a few years living in a mid-sized European city.
At different times in my life I have wanted different lifestyles.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So you are an architect? Wooden houses are common in Finland, Sweden and Norway and have been for centuries. Norway had wooden churches 8-900 years ago.
sure, wooden houses with porches and southern style verandas are SUPER FINNISH! when I lived in Europe I got the feeling nordic, dutch and german people really try to be like the US

germans would take holidays in places like Tallahassee florida (Who wants to go to Tallahassee? hehehe) and some super excited would tell you about their experiences in Iowa

my answer was always the same.... a gigantic world full of diversity and cultures and you chose to go to Iowa? heheheh

also swedish felt very American wannabe and dutch even more, the Dutch might just as well call themselves Americans

Belgians, swiss, french, spaniards, italians, felt more proud and with more identity... but the dutch, germans, nordic folks I met it's like talking to Americans with an accent, some even try to imitate the American lingo and use words like dude, omg, whatever etc. (but with their foreign european accent obviously)

if I wanna see Americans I'll go to the US, I don't wanna go to Stockholm to see America wannabe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World