Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Suburb means slightly different things in different places.

For instance, here in Vancouver, a suburb can not be within the city limits. Areas of Vancouver with single family housing and arguably what some think of as suburbs, are not referred to as suburbs here. Kitsilano for example is referred to as a neighbourhood of Vancouver, but not a suburb.

Burnaby, Coquitlam and any jurisdiction in the metro area, but having it's own city hall etc are what we call suburbs.
Yes, this is how we define it in the U.S. as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yep, there's a Richmond, Massachusetts
And a Richmond, California. A good chunk of it is ghetto, unfortunately.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I go out to my door and there are supermarkets, cafes, bars, a movie theater 3 streets away, metro stop, bus stop and a PARK

good luck driving to all those things in sydney
To each his own. I don't want all those things right outside my door. I much prefer to have a park across the street in front of my house, and a quiet stretch of lawn, and then an even more quiet patio and lawn in the backyard.

I can drive 5 to 10 minutes and be at any of the types of places you listed.

Just a reminder that not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. Personally, living in the middle of a busy city is not what I want. It's OK if others want it, but many of us could have it if we chose - we just don't choose to.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:07 PM

888 posts, read 1,595,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not lying. It is true. If it wasn't, we would have a popular party which wants to disassemble the welfare state. We don't even have a party which strives for it. Most likely after a month we will have a newly elected government which will force trough minimal tax cuts at the most. A very tiny minority wants to slash taxes with radical reforms, and 95% of the population knows that we cannot support this system without high taxes, therefore we happily pay them.

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/hy...ealla/kqxenYiY

I think it's your responsibility to come up with facts proving otherwise, not me.
We have, since about the mid 90's had goverments that have only really been capable of spending, and then spending some more. Lucky for them, a huge tax contributor arose at the same time, and it was never really necessary to actually have anyone in government seriously adjust the system to becoming business-friendly. Money just basically dropped from the sky, and nobody ever had to really worry about where to get income. Things were great when things were great, Detroit was once a mighty fine place too, until some economic realities set in.

Taxation model of small businesses is one great example of a system that most people involved or familiar are not happy with. Under the "Estonian model", businesses would not be taxed to death automatically, they'd have an option to invest in growth and hire people. But there's very little support for any reforms like this. People will rather look at this country turn into a complete failure, than take proactive actions like this to support actual private sector growth, now when things are still relatively good and not at a point of no return.

Now with huge deficits, shrinking labor pool, and with money and business bailing the country, where are we going to get income, business, investments, and jobs anymore. More debt? You tell me

Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM

888 posts, read 1,595,585 times
https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.77961...b7r7LkC53Q!2e0

Streetview from one of the streets is my dystopian hellhole neighborhood. Most things a person needs are within a 5-10 min. drive. You can take a bus or bicycle too. Many newly or more recently constructed outer neighborhoods or suburbs in Finland look a lot like this. A nice home in a well-constructed and centrally located apartment building wouldn't be bad either, they just tend to cost a lot. Commie block neighborhoods in here are usually low brow, mostly public rentals.. can't say working class, because many people in those don't really work at all. Not desirable at all to most people.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,894,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Now with huge deficits, shrinking labor pool, and with money and business bailing the country, where are we going to get income, business, investments, and jobs anymore. More debt? You tell me
Nah, but this austerity policy hasn't either brought us anywhere, not to mention our completely impotent government. We need large reforms on many sectors, not denying that. But that doesn't meen that I'm lying and the majority thinks tax as theft, like you claimed.

But if the racist hillbillies (PersSS), laestadian agrarian finlandicizers (Kepulit) and social democrats form the next government, may Ukko have mercy on us all.

Quote:

Streetview from one of the streets is my dystopian hellhole neighborhood. Most things a person needs are within a 5-10 min. drive. You can take a bus or bicycle too. Many newly or more recently constructed outer neighborhoods or suburbs in Finland look a lot like this. A nice home in a well-constructed and centrally located apartment building wouldn't be bad either, they just tend to cost a lot. Commie block neighborhoods in here are usually low brow, mostly public rentals.. can't say working class, because many people in those don't really work at all. Not desirable at all to most people.
Treeless, but otherwise looks nice (I noticed it was a new hood). Not really my thing, tho. At least yet.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:53 PM

14,411 posts, read 11,852,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I lived for the burbs for two years and hated it, felt like everyone was obsessed with social status, and you're so far away from everything. The city is way better, I feel like in the city your personality and your looks are more important than the type of car your daddy has or whether or not your house has a pool
People have to actually get to know you to know your personality, no matter where you are.

Otherwise, I don't see that being judged by your looks is any less superficial than being judged by your car or your house.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,030,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ha! The complete opposite for me. Just take the elevator and you're down on the street with shops and cafés. Perfect!
I guess I'm a nature person.

But it really depends on the suburb. The urban suburb I linked was in Western Sydney. They tend to be drab and monotonous. Inner Sydney commercial center is a different story, as the architecture tends to be more vibrant in nature. I wouldn't mind living here for example:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....in8Q!2e0?hl=en

Old 03-21-2015, 10:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,912,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I lived for the burbs for two years and hated it, felt like everyone was obsessed with social status, and you're so far away from everything. The city is way better, I feel like in the city your personality and your looks are more important than the type of car your daddy has or whether or not your house has a pool
It depends what type of suburb or part of the city you're in, too. If you live in a wealthy suburb then people will be status-obsessed, but by the same token, I can tell you that people in the city who live in wealthy enclaves or buildings then people are as, if not more status-obsessed - I speak this knowledge as someone who has spent the last half decade living in affluent to just-plain-rich areas.

If you're in parts of Manhattan or the SOMA district of SF or the Midwilshire towers in LA or [fill in the blank], then the type of car you have, whether you live in a 2-story or a single story condo and what floor it's on, which gym you have a membership at, etc are more important than your looks or your personality, both of which you will still be judged by. I fail to see how "judging someone by their looks" versus "judging people by what kind of car they have" is really any social improvement...

There are also plenty of staunchly working-class suburbs where the average person is totally down to earth and soundly reject status.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:57 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,847,696 times
Quote:

why do nordic countries imitate the US so much?

I thought for a second those images were from the US... look at the wooden houses and their style, it's like an american suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World