Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Actually I would have to say where I am now. Tucson. Other than the beautiful mountains, and the sunny weather. This is without a doubt the most poverty prone, I don't give a damn kind of place I have been to in this country. Really very sad that a city, would allow itself to get in such poor shape.
Hmm. A friend who moved there really likes it. She posted nice photos, part of it is the landscape but it looked like it had some nice neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,548,408 times
[quote=nei;37796508]Hmm. A friend who moved there really likes it. She posted nice photos, part of it is the landscape but it looked like it had some nice neighborhoods.[/quoteT

Tucson does have some nice areas, but they are few and then it gets very sketchy. The real problem is the lack of infrastructure, serious lack of roads and freeways. It takes forever to get from point A to point B here. I get exhausted dealing with that problem, and then the poor condition of what roads are here. Then the huge amount of poverty because there is no real economy here. It looks nice in postcards, but living here other than those mountains and the few nice areas. It really is a very depressed rundown area. That's how they want it to stay evidently, or something would be done about it. So what your friend see's is here, but it is very limited.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,038,244 times
East Berlin in 1975. I was on a bus tour with a group of fellow college students. One thing I remember was seeing a fabric shop with a window display showing exactly two bolts of cloth, one black and one dark green. That about summed up the entire city for me. Dismal and dreary.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,202,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
Dont get me wrong Norway, mile for mile, probably has the most spectacular scenery in the world. I visited about ten years ago when everywhere seemed to be resurfacing their roads en masse, even by the busy rail station and shopping areas. At the jetty to the islands there was a building belching a stench Ive never come across before or again. Ive no idea what it was but it was so strong it made your eyes water, and people run while covering their faces. I think tear gas works in a similar way. -A combination as I mentioned of the smells of rotting fish and sewage (no idea what it actually was). - I imagine it would be closed down by now considering it's right next to a tourist jetty; my Norwegian friends knew it well and laughed at our stories anyhoo.

The islands I weren't so impressed by - very rocky and every inch of coastline dotted in 'seagull paint'. The interior was gorgeous with little cottages and stands of trees, but a bit boring overall.

What I did like was:

outside Oslo
scenery
inhabitants
food (everything organic)
Opera house
the boho quarter, although a little empty
Was the Opera house finished in 2004? I believe it opened in 2008 or something. I guess you will find the same rotten stench in other cities with a fishing harbor, like San Fransisco or Bergen. That is one of the reasons why I prefer meat . Bergen, Stavanger and Tromsø can keep their smelly seafood. I have never heard of the boho quarter. Was it Grünerløkka? I am not sure if they are actually resurfacing the roads. It is more of a constant digging (replacing pipes, cables, etc). The whole area around the new opera has been one big contruction site for 10 years or so. One major street, Bogstadveien, was more or less closed for over a year due to contruction. What a mess

You should visit the city again when the whole Fjord City project is finished. I guess it will be finished in 2030 or something...

Old 12-29-2014, 04:19 AM

266 posts, read 675,720 times
Wow, it musta been 2008 then (it was just finished at the time).

The smell wasn't like a fishing harbour, it was almost chemical, and literally eyewatering. I was one of those hippy travellers who pretends everything is fine and a worldly person, but a few seconds in I was retching involuntarily, which has never happened before! Surely some Osloites must know of this industrial building?

Yep, it was Grunnerlokka, I remember this bit (but very leafy and quiet):

/www.histravelblog.com

I remember the Fjord City project, and they'd just finished the first phase. It was great to cycle around and the architecture disproves the adage that all post pomo modernism is cookie cutter, the styles of each building were extraordinary, and areas very much resembled a modern day Venice with housing right on the waterside. Also the City Hall was amazing, loved the mix of medievalism with modern.

www.nationalgeographic.com

Also the govt offices that unfortunately got bombed by the Breivik nutter, being the first example of brutalism that I thought was beautiful - it's scale has perfect balance.

http://infophotomagazine.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

The Opera Hus took the biscuit though.

https://hasslehurf.files.wordpress.com

^Aw godammit, this is meant to be a thread about crap places! Here's a picture of an ugly building.

Frode Ander, https://www.flickr.com/photos/bloubergfan/4915205421/

Last edited by smool; 12-29-2014 at 04:32 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 08:58 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
^That's not ugly.
The opera house looks really nice.

Last edited by Greysholic; 12-29-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,585,857 times
Worst place I've ever been to is Benidorm, Spain! My Mum accidently gave Dad the wrong directions and we ended up in a jammed up ****hole! Also full of old-aged, ignorant British Tourists with no interest in Spanish history and no respect for the people born there! God I hate to bump into Brits on a med holiday, they're an embarrassment and I want to meet the foreigners of that country and live and respect their lifestyle!
This is what I hate about British (and German) tourists abroad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DfNBSE-3Hw
OK - I've done things like the video below (without the wired parents of course), and it's fun. But me and my friend (though we get laughed at by the rest of group) still always manage to get a day of history and respect for the culture of the country - unlike most Brits my age that act like the people on Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFtSepwGZA

My point is that we treat Mediterranean countries like ****! And Benidorm is the worst place - and even worse - everyone's old there!

Last edited by Jas182; 12-29-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM

888 posts, read 1,593,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Trona, California.
^While probably not the worst, it sure must be one of the weirdest.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,620,766 times
Toss up between Athens, Greece or Phoenix, US.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:34 PM

400 posts, read 423,107 times
A few for me;

-Athens Greece. Apart from the plaka area, which is actually very nice, most of the city was pretty drab.

-Piraeus Greece; Athens without any redeeming features.

- Edmonton Alberta Canada; Flat as a pancake, ugly architecture, no culture or interesting vibe, and unfriendly people. What's to like?

- Sudbury Ont. Can. You've got to be kidding me; looks like a big lumber camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World