Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 AM

715 posts, read 792,442 times

Advertisements

for me

Best

just enjoying the sunny weather

worst

losing my wallet on my lost hoilday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,575,982 times
Worst was sitting in a restaurant in Penang with my bag next to me. Two guys on a moped pulled up, one guy jumped off, grabbed my bag, jumped back on the moped & off they went. Got my wallet but fortunately I didn't have my passport.

Best was probably my latest to Nicaragua, just sitting on my hammock facing the ocean reading & drinking wine. That was what I did probably 50% of the time, lol.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,738,912 times
I can't think of worst experience at all. Even when things didn't look so rosy in the beginning, I managed to turn it around. To me, every chance I get to get away is a blessing and I refuse to let anything ruin that for me.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Best... daybreak float trip on the Snake River at the foot of the Tetons. cost = zero (went with local friends)

Worst = yet to come...

Stressful...Taking small kids with red hair (extra prize money for kidnapping red hair boys) on Bangkok city bus (they didn't stop... just 'slow down' in the 80's) Tough to read Thai street signs. Tourists had been kidnapped and killed that week.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Best was a last minute trip my husband and I took to Disneyland, a few years after we were married. Another couple we knew told us they were going so we made a hotel reservation and we drove down the next morning, a 6 hour drive, to meet them. Everything clicked, from the drive down with us singing and laughing the whole way, the unexpected room upgrade, the fun we had as 4 adults being totally ridiculous at an amusement park. We talked about it for years, not because the trip itself was special (see below...) but because for 3 days we were all high on life.

The worst was another trip to Disneyland several years later, with our kids. My husband had just thrown out his back, something that would effect him for the rest of his life. I ran a fever the whole time, and had to return to our room every few hours to nap and take some Tylenol to bring the fever down long enough for us to go out for a little while longer (I was diagnosed with pneumonia when I got home). And if that wasn't enough both kids had caught headlice at school in the days leading up to the trip and we had to get lice shampoo and treat them at the hotel.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,767,093 times
Best: Safari in South Africa.

Worst: Spending an exorbitant sum for a hotel without AC in London and trying to sleep in the heat.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,243 times
Best: Getting married in Manhattan with a wedding party of four of our closest friends. This trip was enchanted from beginning to end. Nothing seemed like it could go wrong and the stars seemed to align in our favour for the entire time we were there.

Worst: Losing my wedding ring in the Atantic Ocean an hour after arriving for our honeymoon in Varadero, Cuba two weeks later. I should add that while losing the ring was the absolute lowest point of this trip, things just seemed to go from bad to worse from that point on. This literal disaster culminated with me developing the worst case of malaise I have experienced since I was a child, despite taking $150 in vaccinations to prevent such an event before I left.

All I can say is don't EVER trust an ice cube in Havana!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Worst: H and I both got terrible colds in Cairo, a place we had wanted to see all our lives. It was miserable but we went and saw everything anyway!

Best: The first time I saw and smelled Tahiti!

Old 12-21-2014, 03:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,453,550 times
Worst -had tickets to the July 4th initial night race in Daytona. Just before going, a rash of fires broke out, and when we got there, the race had to be cancelled as the smoke was so bad that you couldn't see from one end of the track to the other. We had an ocean-front condo, could not see the ocean from our room due to ashes, smoke. We finally left by going up a narrow 2-lane road as the freeway was closed. Fire was on both sides of us, with fire trucks along the highway.

Best, guess it was Hawaii back in early 80's, spent New Years on the beach.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Worst: the leeches in the Cambodian jungle
Best: the characters I met in Belize, or the species I saw in Peru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel