Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Calm down sweetie, no need to shout. I'm well aware of the jet-stream and its effects, having, you know LIVED here for over 40 years. And I'm well aware of the different kinds of rain around the world having done a fair bit of traveling too. The drizzle can last several days sometimes, but not ALL the time as you seem to be claiming. You're clearly exaggerating.

You seem to have not had a good time in the UK for whatever reason, but please don't get carried away with your negativity.
Oh understand my love, I've been to the UK several times and it was LOVELY! The UK has its charm!

I just don't put up with the sense of grandeur some anglophones tend to have about their own countries. I am also well travelled and tend to speak my mind. I do not sugarcoat things so that they can come across as politically correct (that is a very english speaking thing)

For example when I visited Bali I was witness to the loutish behavior of many Australians, the condescending attitude in which they treat the locals, the sense of superiority that emanated from a lot of these uneducated gross bogans in reference to the locals, all because they were white and Australian was just disgusting! With me though they had to tone it down because I was very quick to tell them they came from an a-cultural suburban wasteland where the best thing to do is drink a beer for the 50th time that day and where reading a book was as rare as having class!

Because of the line of work I do I often deal with people who think they are better than others because they have X university degree from Y university, and they speak so many languages and so on, I have learned that I need to not be afraid to point out their flaws f I have to.

Am I disliked by a lot of people, yes!!! Women especially detest me, men on the other hand tend to actually find me interesting because of that quality!! Do I care? nope... I have a VERY STRONG personality!

But if you're talking to me expect honesty, London is an interesting city, where people drink too much, a lot of young minority kids with no sense of purpose carrying knives, tons of aggressive stressed out people, unfriendly self-segregated white british, not the best weather, and yes amazing museums like Tate, the British museum of history (showcasing articles STOLEN by the Brits from all over the world because a museum of exclusively british things would be largely uninteresting), fantastic interesting history that spans for centuries and so on. It is how I approach the world! I am not hating you, I am just being brutally honest!

Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,509,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Oh understand my love, I've been to the UK several times and it was LOVELY! The UK has its charm!

I just don't put up with the sense of grandeur some anglophones tend to have about their own countries. I am also well travelled and tend to speak my mind. I do not sugarcoat things so that they can come across as politically correct (that is a very english speaking thing)

[For example when I visited Bali I was witness to the loutish behavior of many Australians, the condescending attitude in which they treat the locals, t[/b]he sense of superiority that emanated from a lot of these uneducated gross bogans in reference to the locals, all because they were white and Australian was just disgusting! With me though they had to tone it down because I was very quick to tell them they came from an a-cultural suburban wasteland where the best thing to do is drink a beer for the 50th time that day and where reading a book was as rare as having class!

Because of the line of work I do I often deal with people who think they are better than others because they have X university degree from Y university, and they speak so many languages and so on, I have learned that I need to not be afraid to point out their flaws f I have to.

Am I disliked by a lot of people, yes!!! Women especially detest me, men on the other hand tend to actually find me interesting because of that quality!! Do I care? nope... I have a VERY STRONG personality!

But if you're talking to me expect honesty, London is an interesting city, where people drink too much, a lot of young minority kids with no sense of purpose carrying knives, tons of aggressive stressed out people, unfriendly self-segregated white british, not the best weather, and yes amazing museums like Tate, the British museum of history (showcasing articles STOLEN by the Brits from all over the world because a museum of exclusively british things would be largely uninteresting), fantastic interesting history that spans for centuries and so on. It is how I approach the world! I am not hating you, I am just being brutally honest!
Well you cannot be accused of lying about that.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Quote:
Irene saying something good about the UK! Has hell frozen over?!

Quote:
I just don't put up with the sense of grandeur some anglophones tend to have about their own countries.
Not sure if that's true. If we're going to resort to stereotypes, then one common characteristic among Brits and Aussies (not sure about Canadians) is that we're actually quite self-depreciating about our nations! But when flawed, or biased comments are made (not necessarily by you!) we find we have to defend them.

Quote:
For example when I visited Bali I was witness to the loutish behavior of many Australians, the condescending attitude in which they treat the locals, the sense of superiority that emanated from a lot of these uneducated gross bogans in reference to the locals, all because they were white and Australian was just disgusting! With me though they had to tone it down because I was very quick to tell them they came from an a-cultural suburban wasteland where the best thing to do is drink a beer for the 50th time that day and where reading a book was as rare as having class!
But if you look at the context (a bunch of people away from their homeland, getting off their faces), it makes sense. I've been to places where I've witnessed loutish behaviour by my fellow countrymen, but I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

Quote:

You certainly DO have a strong personality, and these forums would be a little less interesting without you for sure

Quote:
But you see, sometimes you focus too much on the negative. What about the minority kids who DON'T carry knives and are trying their best given their circumstances? The people who are chilled out who AREN'T aggressive or stressed out, the people who mix and who ARE friendly, the days when the weather is glorious, etc. These people are the majority.

And it's not just the museums and history that make London. How about the wonderful parks, the live music scene and festivals (something v. important for me!), the creative vibe (something I'm part of), the diversity of people, the proximity to the continent, the amount of cultural and sporting events etc. Is it perfect? Of course not, nowhere is - but I wouldn't live anywhere else

Old 01-20-2015, 05:23 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,610,590 times
Annual rainfall hours in London 431.
Annual rainfall hours Miami 435.

Isn't Miami supposedly known for it's very short but heavy showers? In the UK it can drizzle for a few hours in winter, but it doesn't drizzle for days at a time like some would have you believe. Outside of winter, showers are by far the most common form of rain. Even in December and January, it's more likely to be sunny than raining (though dry, cloudy weather is most common).

If it rains constantly, then why does London have 256 days per year without rain?

Anyone who says London gets lots of fog can't be taken seriously!

Last edited by B87; 01-20-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,392,451 times
Quote:

Oh wow that sentence underlined is a massive stereotype you probably got from an online forum. Funny how you talk about London yet segregated whites, ''minority'' kids and aggressive stressed out people you notice. Is it just the ''minority'' kids committing crime?

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-22-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
OK, Allow me to simplify this down so it can appropiately channel your cognitive abilities love!

The UK doesn't get a very large amount of water when it rains, rain in the UK is characterized by drizzle, when it drizzles, it can last for several days however small amounts of actual water is collected!
(BASICALLY IT CAN BE CLOUDY AND RAINY FOR A LONG TIME BUT THE ACTUAL AMOUNT OF WATER IT FALLS IS RELATIVELY SMALL)

Why?

Because the weather in the UK is affected by a jet stream that comes from the tropical Gulf of Mexico on the Americas and crosses the atlantic ocean and meets cold Arctic air coming down into Europe from the North pole... this mixture of warm and cold air creates a special kind of weather where it's often overcast, fog tends to occur normally and rain tends to happen often though in small amounts but it can last for days even weeks!

The tropics for example are sunnier than the UK but get a lot more rain, why? because when it rains in the tropics it rains for a short span of time, but very large amounts of water.

NOT ALL RAIN IS THE SAME SWEETY, COME ON YOU ARE CALLING ME A TROLL AND IGNORANT AND YOU DO NOT EVEN REALIZE THAT THE WEATHER IN YOUR COUNTRY IS UNIQUE THANKS TO THE ATLANTIC JET-STREAM!

YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW RAIN IS NOT THE SAME IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD.
Very smart but the most typical type of rain in the UK is Light rain (drizzle and light rain isn't the same deary) also it hardly ever drizzles for ''several days''

Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,584,551 times
Haha... This post still going... Look Aussie is the best country in the world, that is it!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Oh wow that sentence underlined is a massive stereotype you probably got from an online forum. Funny how you talk about London yet segregated whites, ''minority'' kids and aggressive stressed out people you notice. Is it just the ''minority'' kids committing crime?
It is a fact that minorities in the UK suffer from discrimination, lack of opportunities.... it is TOUGH to be a minority in the UK, many of the young males have no purpose and often channel it into anger and eventually turn into crime... it is not being stereotypical, IT IS BEING HONEST!!!

it's NOT their fault, they are the victims of a really messed up society

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-22-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It is a fact that minorities in the UK suffer from discrimination, lack of opportunities.... it is TOUGH to be a minority in the UK, many of the young males have no purpose and often channel it into anger and eventually turn into crime... it is not being stereotypical, IT IS BEING HONEST!!!

it's NOT their fault, they are the victims of a really messed up society
Its funny how you seem to be an expert on so many things, you are half right but you are not being honest because the vast majority are not channelling their ''anger'' into Crime. I think I should know very well how tough it is to be a ''minority'' in the UK, I can conform that many don't go into crime.

The UK is no more or less messed up a society than France, Canada or Germany.

You see when you make statements such as ''many'' and ''tend'' you need to clarify what exactly you mean. Especially topics like this which are very sensitive, you are not being honest just rude and COUNTRY BASHING no more no less.

Yes you are right that Non-White Brits are more likely to be in poverty and face racism meaning their less exposed to good opportunities not to mention a feeling of being looked down on --- but then concluding in your own words ''a lot of young minority kids with no sense of purpose carrying knives'' is offensive to the ''minority kids'' and again a massive generalisation you probably got from the media.

Personally I think you are a Colombian national who has maybe gone to a couple of Countries in your life and then come on City-Data to talk about your ''travels'' only to base all your knowledge on popular stereotypes and massive generalisations.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Pretty much spot-on P London. What she's talking about is not just a UK-based problem, minorities the world over experience poverty, a lack of purpose, racism etc but they don't all turn to violence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World