Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
London is dreary, it's very gloomy. Most populated places in the world are sunnier, often much sunnier. Few if any populated places in the US come close to how gloomy it is. While Canada certainly not a frigid wasteland, again most populated places in Canada are on the cold side compared to midlatitude populated places around the world. Adding in the less inhabited areas of Canada makes the comparison more extreme, much of Canada is bitterly cold. There's a reason why most of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border.
Oh hello another expert from the other side of the world, I'm sorry but London is NOT 'very gloomy' Irene has basically said that it does NOTHING but rain here and then stated this as a 'fact' (see her post), I am simply telling you that this is not a 'fact' at all, just stereotypical nonsense. She came here and it rained for a few days so now she thinks it rains all the time, I've been to Italy for work for two weeks and it rained every day but I am not daft enough to think that it rains every day in every part of Italy all of the time.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 AM

531 posts, read 595,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but this doesn't ring true to me and I've lived here all my life, you are hardly in a position to start stating 'facts' about London weather when you live the other side of the world. Nobody is saying London has a 'hot' climate, nobody is saying London has as much sunshine as California but it does NOT continuously 'drizzle' here and it is NOT continuously cloudy either (Summers (in the SE particularly) can be rather sunny, warm and pleasant). For me the winter time is the hardest (not because it constantly rains because it doesn't) but because the sun is low in the sky and it gets dark early. What you are saying here is actually not a 'fact' but pure stereotyping.
Quote:
Oh hello another expert from the other side of the world, I'm sorry but London is NOT 'very gloomy' Irene has basically said that it does NOTHING but rain here and then stated this as a 'fact' (see her post), I am simply telling you that this is not a 'fact' at all, just stereotypical nonsense. She came here and it rained for a few days so now she thinks it rains all the time, I've been to Italy for work for two weeks and it rained every day but I am not daft enough to think that it rains every day in every part of Italy all of the time.

I once had a (I think) US based poster simply unable to grasp the fact that the sunny pictures of London I'd uploaded were London at all. It was as if the very concept of a sunny London was unknowable to his mind.

Getting some types of people to look beyond ingrained stereotypes can be like teaching rocket surgery to a lobotomised spider monkey.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times
Quote:
Oh hello another expert from the other side of the world, I'm sorry but London is NOT 'very gloomy' Irene has basically said that it does NOTHING but rain here and then stated this as a 'fact' (see her post), I am simply telling you that this is not a 'fact' at all, just stereotypical nonsense.
Eh. The sunshine numbers are available for London, I'm not discussing Irene's post. If 1500-1600 isn't "very gloomy" not much in the world would count as "very gloomy"*. I've been to London a number of times. It was gloomy but I did see a number of sunny days. It's not a stereotype at all, check the numbers.

*Perhaps only more extreme places like Scotland or Southeast Alaska should count, but that's just semantics.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
London IS very gloomy. Scotland is even gloomier. Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Belarus, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, parts of Hungary, Northern and Central France, Northern Italy, Northern Spain and Slovenia are gloomy places if you compare worldwide.

Some places in Canada are gloomy, so are places in South America, Africa and Asia.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,400,049 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but this doesn't ring true to me and I've lived here all my life, you are hardly in a position to start stating 'facts' about London weather when you live the other side of the world. Nobody is saying London has a 'hot' climate, nobody is saying London has as much sunshine as California but it does NOT continuously 'drizzle' here and it is NOT continuously cloudy either (Summers (in the SE particularly) can be rather sunny, warm and pleasant). For me the winter time is the hardest (not because it constantly rains because it doesn't) but because the sun is low in the sky and it gets dark early. What you are saying here is actually not a 'fact' but pure stereotyping.
Quote:
First I'm agreeing with you in ages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, it is not. Never mind the whole land area, but the largest population centres. Winters are cold and the growing season short. If you compare to Southern Finland, only Toronto, Vancouver and Halifax (and some places in BC) has milder winters than like Helsinki or Oslo in Norway, while the growing season is similar, except Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Summers can yes be surprisingly warm compared to Northern and Central Europe, but that doesn't negate the cold season. Only Southern Ontario is relatively mild, but has cold continental winters still. For example an Ottawa April is as warm (cool) as a Vienna March.

Yes, Canada is a cold country. So are the Nordics and Russia. I would say Scotland is also cold. Saying this doesn't mean it's cold all the time, but on a global scale still definitely cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
London is dreary, it's very gloomy. Most populated places in the world are sunnier, often much sunnier. Few if any populated places in the US come close to how gloomy it is. While Canada certainly not a frigid wasteland, again most populated places in Canada are on the cold side compared to midlatitude populated places around the world. Adding in the less inhabited areas of Canada makes the comparison more extreme, much of Canada is bitterly cold. There's a reason why most of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border.
I'm not saying it doesn't get cold in Canada nor am I saying that stating that is a lie its just a half truth...

Lets take Quebec, yes it ''cold'' but does it have a ''cold climate'' NO!

Iceland is cold

Greenland is cold

The shetlands is cold

Canada cold? NO!

I don't get how one can go to Winnipeg for example for a whole year and come back and say ''Yep Canada is cold, never got warm ever'' did they just go into hibernation 5 months?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Nobody is saying London has a 'hot' climate, nobody is saying London has as much sunshine as California but it does NOT continuously 'drizzle' here and it is NOT continuously cloudy either (Summers (in the SE particularly) can be rather sunny, warm and pleasant).
Very gloomy does not mean continuously cloudy, a lot of British posters have an odd idea of what a sunny climate is. Summers in much of the southeast don't even break 50% sunshine, the rest of the year is much cloudier

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't get cold in Canada nor am I saying that stating that is a lie its just a half truth...

Lets take Quebec, yes it ''cold'' but does it have a ''cold climate'' NO!

Iceland is cold

Greenland is cold

The shetlands is cold

Canada cold? NO!

I don't get how one can go to Winnipeg for example for a whole year and come back and say ''Yep Canada is cold, never got warm ever'' did they just go into hibernation 5 months?
Being cold overall, doesn't mean it doesn't get warm ever. It just means the annual average is… cold.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 AM

531 posts, read 595,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
London IS very gloomy. Scotland is even gloomier. Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Belarus, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, parts of Hungary, Northern and Central France, Northern Italy, Northern Spain and Slovenia are gloomy places if you compare worldwide.

Some places in Canada are gloomy, so are places in South America, Africa and Asia.
What is it like to live in a world where only peri-Saharan conditions count as non-gloomy in your eyes.

All you've done is set your sliding scale threshold for gloominess above what people as a vague generality find tolerable.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
What is it like to live in a world where only peri-Saharan conditions count as non-gloomy in your eyes.

All you've done is set your sliding scale threshold for gloominess above what people as a vague generality find tolerable.
You don't need peri-Saharan conditions to be much sunnier than London. Sunshine hours:

London: 1600?
Vancouver: 1900
Boston: 2400
San Francisco [outside fog belt]: 2900

I lived in a place that's probably around 2000 hours, I found it gloomy and a bit depressing in the winter; it took several winters to get used to it. To say London isn't gloomy requires a very low threshold for what people would tolerable. Anywhere that averages significantly more clouds than sun I would say is somewhat gloomy, I think that's a fair standard.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post

Well, Bilbao gets 200 hours less sun than my city annually, so I would say it's rather gloomy. For example Portsmouth too is sunnier than Bilbao, San Sebastian or Gijón. Milan too gets less than 2000 hours of sun annually. While not extremely gloomy, like the Faroe Islands, but less than 50% of possible sunshine could be said to be somewhat gloomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.