Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:31 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,033 times

Advertisements

I mean arguing **** with me such as Australia is not a HOT ARID continent for the most part, and the UK is not rainy and getting mad because I say Sydney is nothing special after you've seen amazing cities like Bangkok, Mexico city, Rio, NYC....

For God's sake!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 AM

what is next? Canada is not cold? it's a tropical paradise with nice beaches and beautifully tanned people???

delusional much?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,862 times
From wiki:
"Parts of England are surprisingly dry, which is contrary to the stereotypical view—London receives just below 650 millimetres (25.6 in) per annum,[32] which is less than Rome, Sydney, or New York City. In East Anglia it typically rains on about 113 days per year.[33] Most of the south, south-east and East Anglia receive less than 700 millimetres (27.6 in) of rain per year.[24] The English counties of Essex, Cambridgeshire - as well as parts of North Yorkshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire, Suffolk and Norfolk - are amongst the driest in the UK, with an average annual rainfall of around 600 millimetres (23.6 in). This is due to a mild rainshadow effect, due to mountainous parts of the South West, Wales and Cumbria blocking the moist airflow across the country to the east. In some years rainfall totals in Essex and South Suffolk can be below 450 millimetres (17.7 in) (especially areas around Colchester, Clacton and Ipswich) - less than the average annual rainfall in Jerusalem, Beirut and even some semi-arid parts of the world."

Maybe you spent more time in the North where it does rain a bit more, but overall your quite off with your assertions.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,610,590 times
London spends less time raining than most major US cities, including Miami (that is hours of rainfall per year, not just days). Most rainy days in London have between 5-60 mins of rainfall. The stereotype of constant drizzle is clearly just a stereotype with only 109 rainy days per year.

Also London gets 1650 hours of sun and only 430 hours of rain, so it's quite clear which is more common. Anyway, I'm done debating with trolls for the morning, got to go to work with those sunny skies outside.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London spends less time raining than most major US cities, including Miami. The stereotype of constant drizzle is clearly just a stereotype with only 109 rainy days per year.

Also London gets 1650 hours of sun and only 430 hours of rain, so it's quite clear which is more common. Anyway, I'm done debating with trolls for the morning, got to go to work with those sunny skies outside.
Indeed, looking out my window right now all I see is a nice blue sky with some light, wispy cloud

Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
Blue skies? Yeah, I think I've heard of those.

Best regards,

some 40 hours of bright sunshine since November.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:49 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I mean arguing **** with me such as Australia is not a HOT ARID continent for the most part, and the UK is not rainy and getting mad because I say Sydney is nothing special after you've seen amazing cities like Bangkok, Mexico city, Rio, NYC....

For God's sake!
Who is arguing?

Your ridiculous stereotypes are just being called out. Especially as it's quite obvious you haven't spent any time in the places you claimed to have visited.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
From wiki:
"Parts of England are surprisingly dry, which is contrary to the stereotypical view—London receives just below 650 millimetres (25.6 in) per annum,[32] which is less than Rome, Sydney, or New York City. In East Anglia it typically rains on about 113 days per year.[33] Most of the south, south-east and East Anglia receive less than 700 millimetres (27.6 in) of rain per year.[24] The English counties of Essex, Cambridgeshire - as well as parts of North Yorkshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire, Suffolk and Norfolk - are amongst the driest in the UK, with an average annual rainfall of around 600 millimetres (23.6 in). This is due to a mild rainshadow effect, due to mountainous parts of the South West, Wales and Cumbria blocking the moist airflow across the country to the east. In some years rainfall totals in Essex and South Suffolk can be below 450 millimetres (17.7 in) (especially areas around Colchester, Clacton and Ipswich) - less than the average annual rainfall in Jerusalem, Beirut and even some semi-arid parts of the world."

Maybe you spent more time in the North where it does rain a bit more, but overall your quite off with your assertions.
The UK doesn't get a very large amount of water when it rains, rain in the UK is characterized by drizzle, when it drizzles, it can last for several days however small amounts of actual water is collected!
(BASICALLY IT CAN BE CLOUDY AND RAINY FOR A LONG TIME BUT THE ACTUAL AMOUNT OF WATER IT FALLS IS RELATIVELY SMALL)

Why?

Because the weather in the UK is affected by a jet stream that comes from the tropical Gulf of Mexico on the Americas and crosses the atlantic ocean and meets cold Arctic air coming down into Europe from the North pole... this mixture of warm and cold air creates a special kind of weather where it's often overcast, fog tends to occur normally and rain tends to happen often though in small amounts but it can last for days even weeks!

The tropics for example are sunnier than the UK but get a lot more rain, why? because when it rains in the tropics it rains for a short span of time, but very large amounts of water.

NOT ALL RAIN IS THE SAME SWEETY, COME ON YOU ARE CALLING ME A TROLL AND IGNORANT AND YOU DO NOT EVEN REALIZE THAT THE WEATHER IN YOUR COUNTRY IS UNIQUE THANKS TO THE ATLANTIC JET-STREAM!

YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW RAIN IS NOT THE SAME IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-22-2015 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 AM

Calm down sweetie, no need to shout. I'm well aware of the jet-stream and its effects, having, you know LIVED here for over 40 years. And I'm well aware of the different kinds of rain around the world having done a fair bit of traveling too. The drizzle can last several days sometimes, but not ALL the time as you seem to be claiming. You're clearly exaggerating.

You seem to have not had a good time in the UK for whatever reason, but please don't get carried away with your negativity.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Indeed, looking out my window right now all I see is a nice blue sky with some light, wispy cloud
Sure!! I just googled your weather for today

Light Haze, cloudy and possibilities of rain towards the afternoon!

Sunny blue skies huh? be careful, don't tan too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World