Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

183 posts, read 218,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
P London is a brit, its a common trait over there....

I'll give you an example

you say: southern California is sunny, southern californians are big into surfing, mexican food is popular and living by the beach is desired!

she then will come and tell you : you're generalizing because not everyday is sunny in southern california there are a few days a year where it rains, then she'll tell u not all californians surf and not all californians eat mexican food plus not everyone in california wants to live by the beach!!! therefore you're a troll, you're lying, and chances are you're ignorant!

you know that uptight anal retentive british attitude!!! (See simon cowell)

not the first brit I met who tends to act like this!
It must be it. Canada is not cold? I have never heard of such nonsense.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM

183 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I haven't seen snow in June. Ever. Does that mean I don't know cold?
I do not understand what you mean there, English is not my first language. I do think you should know cold since Finland is top 5 coldest countries on this planet.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I do not understand what you mean there, English is not my first language. I do think you should know cold since Finland is top 5 coldest countries on this planet.
Ok. Forget about it. Yes, I think too I know what cold is.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I haven't seen snow in June. Ever. Does that mean I don't know cold?
I have never seen snow in June either. I've seen snow in May exactly once and that was May 1 or 2 in Toronto. I've seen snow in September once in Ottawa - on the last day of the month.

I've never seen snow in June, July and August.

I've seen snow in October maybe 5 times in my life max. And I am in my 40s.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I do not understand what you mean there, English is not my first language.
Y'a une blague de sorte. Il t'as eu. C'est ca qu'il veut.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have never seen snow in June either. I've seen snow in May exactly once and that was May 1 or 2 in Toronto. I've seen snow in September once in Ottawa - on the last day of the month.

I've never seen snow in June, July and August.

I've seen snow in October maybe 5 times in my life max. And I am in my 40s.
Acajack you seem like a logical poster

Is it fair to say Canada is not a ''cold country''? I'm fully aware Canadian winters can be brutal but you know Canada does have 3 months plus of warm temperatures.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Acajack you seem like a logical poster

Is it fair to say Canada is not a ''cold country''? I'm fully aware Canadian winters can be brutal but you know Canada does have 3 months plus of warm temperatures.
so 3 months of "warm" weather makes Canada not a cold place huh?

it's like saying scotland is not rainy because it doesnt rain 40 days a year

honestly!

Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
London weather: light rain / drizzle / more light rain / cloudy / more clouds / grey / more clouds / some sun / then more clouds / then more light rain for the next four days / then more gray

I don't know what is so offensive, its a FACT
I'm sorry but this doesn't ring true to me and I've lived here all my life, you are hardly in a position to start stating 'facts' about London weather when you live the other side of the world. Nobody is saying London has a 'hot' climate, nobody is saying London has as much sunshine as California but it does NOT continuously 'drizzle' here and it is NOT continuously cloudy either (Summers (in the SE particularly) can be rather sunny, warm and pleasant). For me the winter time is the hardest (not because it constantly rains because it doesn't) but because the sun is low in the sky and it gets dark early. What you are saying here is actually not a 'fact' but pure stereotyping.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
No, it is not. Never mind the whole land area, but the largest population centres. Winters are cold and the growing season short. If you compare to Southern Finland, only Toronto, Vancouver and Halifax (and some places in BC) has milder winters than like Helsinki or Oslo in Norway, while the growing season is similar, except Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Summers can yes be surprisingly warm compared to Northern and Central Europe, but that doesn't negate the cold season. Only Southern Ontario is relatively mild, but has cold continental winters still. For example an Ottawa April is as warm (cool) as a Vienna March.

Yes, Canada is a cold country. So are the Nordics and Russia. I would say Scotland is also cold. Saying this doesn't mean it's cold all the time, but on a global scale still definitely cold.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
London really isn't all that dreary, sorry its just a fact rather than a stupid stereotype.

Canada isn't ''cold'' either the country has a temperate climate. How can a place be called ''cold'' when temperatures throughout the country can reach 30c or higher every year?
London is dreary, it's very gloomy. Most populated places in the world are sunnier, often much sunnier. Few if any populated places in the US come close to how gloomy it is. While Canada certainly not a frigid wasteland, again most populated places in Canada are on the cold side compared to midlatitude populated places around the world. Adding in the less inhabited areas of Canada makes the comparison more extreme, much of Canada is bitterly cold. There's a reason why most of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.