Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,149,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I enjoyed pavlova dessert and the many cultural aspects and coffee shops of melbourne

After the USA you're the best next country on the list because of your good quality beef, your nice beaches, your nice weather and overall friendly but not fake attitude
(I noticed Australian men esp. in Melbourne were often very eager to talk to me and hold doors, and so on, maybe I was a bit different looking from the norm)

I didnt say all of australia is a desert, I am aware of the blue mountains, the jungles up north and so on.... I said australia is very underpopulated, plus very large, very hot and dry for most of it, and there are only two decent size cities (Sydney, melbourne) I am a city person!

What I didnt like about Australia was too many rules and laws, too expensive, too suburban, but other than that is a charming place!!! I didnt say its terrible that'd be the UK!! Australia got its nice things going for it!
You had pavlova!! Wow, where did you have that? what did you like about it?

No, you just said that Australia is a big desert, with emptiness, snakes, and sheep. But you didn't see a snake, desert or sheep.

What laws actually affected you?
You saw 2 cities and thought it was too suburban? Where did you stay in Melbourne or Sydney?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,409,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
You had pavlova!! Wow, where did you have that? what did you like about it?

No, you just said that Australia is a big desert, with emptiness, snakes, and sheep. But you didn't see a snake, desert or sheep.

What laws actually affected you?
You saw 2 cities and thought it was too suburban? Where did you stay in Melbourne or Sydney?
Probably in the Suburbs trying to find the CBD.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,628,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I don't agree here. 15C in Chicago with wind (Toronto is similar) feels brutally cold and 15C in Seattle is shorts weather.
Wind chill factors aside, it's the damp in Seattle and Vancouver that people feel. Maybe you're not old enough to have sensitive bones LOL.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why do you have to put US cities up against cities from 3 different countries?
Vincie, I thought your reading comprehension was better than this.

I was responding to Irene who was comparing the US against all three in regards to cities.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its not an opinion its an fact, USA is by far an outlier. population is 300 plus million, far more development, more cities, more various landscapes, larger economy. are any of these false?
More developed? In a country where people still write cheques at a grocery store. That country?

EDIT: Ah, I see you meant more building, freeways etc. Not sure how this is better. The way to gage development is how that development serves its population. I don't see Canada, Australia or the U.K. lacking in that regard.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
if you think british culture is the predominant culture in the USA you obviously haven't been in many places around America!

the brits had 13 colonies on the east coast and those colonies revolted went to war with the UK, dumped their tea on the Boston harbor and kicked the brits out of their country.

several decades later they started expanding west absorbing French territory (the whole midwest), several Spanish colonies (Florida, Texas, California), and purchasing land from Russia (Alaska)

how is that the british orchestrating the United states?

By the way country music has its roots in German music I know this because I went to country music museum of nashville TN!

Jamaica sure, I can see Jamaicans being very anglo in their culture with the whole cricket, tea drinking, commonwealth elizabeth the majesty and so on.... but Americans no way!
This is an interesting read. I found this bit true.

"The vast majority of Americans also tend to be more openly patriotic than Britons. Having been raised reciting the Pledge of Allegiance daily at school, many Americans are proud (at times even defensive) of their country. Just as some Americans do not appreciate sarcastic humour, they may not appreciate self-deprecating humour either. Whether it is about them or their country, Americans can have a hard time laughing at themselves."

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/pre-depa...al-differences

Old 01-14-2015, 01:09 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,675,920 times
Quote:
Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne (very pretty all of it)
Irene,

You missed quite a lot if you had just gone only to those 3 places while you were in Australia. Yes, they are nice but one does not fly halfway across the globe to see Australian cities alone.

The beauty of Australia is in the wilderness, whether they be the barrier reef, Tasmania, Outback of the jungles of the North.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Irene,

You missed quite a lot if you had just gone only to those 3 places while you were in Australia. Yes, they are nice but one does not fly halfway across the globe to see Australian cities alone.

The beauty of Australia is in the wilderness, whether they be the barrier reef, Tasmania, Outback of the jungles of the North.
I feel your pain. I get really frustrated when people talk as if they know and understand all of Canada, when all they have experienced is Toronto.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,409,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I feel your pain. I get really frustrated when people talk as if they know and understand all of Canada, when all they have experienced is Toronto.
Some people, huh?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,550,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
More developed? In a country where people still write cheques at a grocery store. That country?

EDIT: Ah, I see you meant more building, freeways etc. Not sure how this is better. The way to gage development is how that development serves its population. I don't see Canada, Australia or the U.K. lacking in that regard.
Nattie, i thought your reading comprehension was better than this.

Where did i say this is better?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.