Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
USA > the other options

The US offers better food, tons of diversity, great cities, beautiful landscapes, all sorts of weather

Canada is a version of the cold northern US with a tenth of its population

Australia is an underpopulated desert with 5 cities

UK is rainy, cold, boring, expensive, bad food, far from beautiful people, nothing to do outside london

sorry for being honest
Are you sure "honest" is the word you were really looking for?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,853,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
You make it sound like "under populated" or smaller population is a bad thing
Welcome to Australia, a country the size of the continental US and only two cities where you can see urban living, sophistication and culture (melbourne, sydney), everything else is emptiness, sheep, snakes, desert and heat!!!

Welcome to Canada, the local temperature is cloudy and 9 degrees below zero, enjoy your spring!!! enjoy our sophisticated cities (Edmonton, Winnipeg, medicine hat, deep hollow) thanks but no thanks!

Welcome to the UK, be ready to spend all of your savings on menial things like public transportation, food because its outrageously expensive, the local weather is 10 degrees and rainy (enjoy the summer!), the local options for food (eeeh forget it), the best thing to do outside london is drink.... oh and never mind the rude, cold, arrogant unattractive locals!

Welcome to NZ, enjoy the fact you're in a small but beautiful island in the middle of nowhere FAR FAR FAR FAR FAAAR away from any other place on this planet, and a population that fits in a neighborhood of a big european city!!!

hahaahaha I take the US!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:54 AM

26,947 posts, read 38,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well the Koppen-Geiger climate classification is well respected and takes the guess work out of one's 'experience' - You should read more about it rather than just dismiss it.. Anyway according to it - Australia has one more colour than Canada so is this something to get all bent out of shape over - prolly not.

Köppen climate classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thing to consider - Canada is significantly larger than Australia - you'd have to add another country the size of Algeria or India to Australia to match the size of Canada - point being that you may need to travel longer distances to experience climate variation.. So while I respect your 'experience' - which is really just well i've been throughout Australia and i've been to Canada \i'll go with Koppen-Geiger over it with all due respect which has the countries very close in climactic variation whereas Canada experiences more extreme temperature variations.
It depends on whether we are talking about climate zones or weather over a given year.

Australia has climate zones (year round tropical for example) which Canada does not have.

But most any weather you can have in Australia during a given year you will have in Canada for periods of decent length in several Canadian locations during a given 12-month period.

Summer in Sydney features basically the same conditions as in Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal.

Weather-wise, there isn't anything a Sydneysider can do in his backyard that I can't do in mine on a typical summer day.

But yeah, there are more days in Sydney where those summerlike activities are possible. On that I agree.

On the other hand, if we are talking about weather variety and potential activities, in my backyard you can ice skate in February and then just over two months later be swimming in warm sunshine in the exact same spot.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,433,902 times
Quote:
Welcome to Australia, a country the size of the continental US and only two cities where you can see urban living, sophistication and culture (melbourne, sydney), everything else is emptiness, sheep, snakes, desert and heat!!!

Welcome to Canada, the local temperature is cloudy and 9 degrees below zero, enjoy your spring!!! enjoy our sophisticated cities (Edmonton, Winnipeg, medicine hat, deep hollow) thanks but no thanks!

Welcome to the UK, be ready to spend all of your savings on menial things like public transportation, food because its outrageously expensive, the local weather is 10 degrees and rainy (enjoy the summer!), the local options for food (eeeh forget it), the best thing to do outside london is drink.... oh and never mind the rude, cold, arrogant unattractive locals!

Welcome to NZ, enjoy the fact you're in a small but beautiful island in the middle of nowhere FAR FAR FAR FAR FAAAR away from any other place on this planet, and a population that fits in a neighborhood of a big european city!!!

hahaahaha I take the US!
This post is a joke, right?

If its not then you must be very sophisticated!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,983,838 times
I love everyone's exaggerated views on everything. Has anyone here visited all the anglo countries?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM

26,947 posts, read 38,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I love everyone's exaggerated views on everything. Has anyone here visited all the anglo countries?
Yes.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,983,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes.
Fair enough. Your post suggests it anyway as you're not going overboard with descriptions.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,461,094 times
At least the other countries aren't becoming crime-ridden war zones like US.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,708,251 times
Quote:
USA > the other options

The US offers better food, tons of diversity, great cities, beautiful landscapes, all sorts of weather

Canada is a version of the cold northern US with a tenth of its population

Australia is an underpopulated desert with 5 cities

UK is rainy, cold, boring, expensive, bad food, far from beautiful people, nothing to do outside london

sorry for being honest
Better food? You do know the standards are lower in the U.S. on a lot of things. I've mentioned this before, but what can be labelled chocolate in the U.S. can't be in the U.K., and Canada for example. Pink slime? Bromate in bread? BGH in dairy etc. Better food, please.

Yes the U.S. has some great cities to visit, but I would argue that all these countries do. I'd put any U.S. city up against, London, Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Same with landscapes.

I think you're trying to push buttons, or have very little real life experience. To say that there is nothing to do outside of London in the U.K. proves that. Only someone with very little knowledge or experience would say that. Although, the other reason could be less flattering, you could be the type that like books with pictures and are bored easily.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-13-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,708,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I've been to three out of the four. Australia is in my future. I do however have friends from Australia who visit Canada and we are in touch a lot. That gives me a bit of an idea of what life is like there, since they live in Sydney ( originally from Hobart ) but travel often within Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World