Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No offense but most of these people are probably give more to charity in one year than you'll make in a lifetime.

These billionaires got to where they did today because of hard work and their sacrifices. They sacrificed a lot for what they have, and they deserve it. If it was given to them, they have every right to it because their forefathers sacrificed what they had to get there for their family.

Sharing wealth, or forcing someone to give money to someone else is unfair. It is not unfair that this poor person decided to have a kid at a young age, start smoking pot or doing crack when they were in their 20s. It's not anyone's fault that this old retired couple didn't save enough money because they wanted an RV.

I don't find this article sickening, I find it inspiring.
In other words, all rich folks "deserve" to be wealthy, and all poor folks deserve to be poor?!

BTW, I believe the technical term for that POV is "Social Darwinism", although I usually just think of it as narcissistic "entitlement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM

827 posts, read 864,790 times
Good for them, they worked for it, they deserve it, being rich is not a problem for me and the poverty in the world is not their fault.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
In other words, all rich folks "deserve" to be wealthy, and all poor folks deserve to be poor?!
That doesn't apply to children necessarily.

However, by the time people reach middle age, their individual abilities, ambitions and life decisions got them to where they are for the most part - with the help of some luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
No offense but most of these people are probably give more to charity in one year than you'll make in a lifetime.

These billionaires got to where they did today because of hard work and their sacrifices. They sacrificed a lot for what they have, and they deserve it. If it was given to them, they have every right to it because their forefathers sacrificed what they had to get there for their family.

Sharing wealth, or forcing someone to give money to someone else is unfair. It is not unfair that this poor person decided to have a kid at a young age, start smoking pot or doing crack when they were in their 20s. It's not anyone's fault that this old retired couple didn't save enough money because they wanted an RV.

I don't find this article sickening, I find it inspiring.
I see your point of view - people who earn their wealth through honest means deserve it, and if they give a lot of their earnings to charity, that's even better. That doesn't mean they should avoid paying their fair share of taxes, nor should it mean they get better treatment in court, or can evade the law due to their influence and wealth. Besides, it isn't just 'poor' people who feel angry - it's middle-class people who have also suffered during the economic downturn in developed countries and in the UK, have seen wages fall quite markedly, while the very rich remain unaffected. Let's be honest here - most people won't become millionaires and certainly not billionaires. That doesn't mean they aren't successful at what they do, and it's understandable that the majority of the population will feel anger or resentment towards the small group of very rich people who live in their own bubble and have a disproportionate influence over what happens, even if it doesn't directly impact them.

I don't think people are angry because wealthy people are wealthy - I'm sure most of us wish we were in their position - I think it's more to do with how the rich alienate themselves from mainstream society and control so much despite making up such a small percentage of the population.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Good for them, they worked for it, they deserve it, being rich is not a problem for me and the poverty in the world is not their fault.
Is that attitude why Brazil has so much poverty and one of the highest rates of income inequality in the world?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
As I get older I realize how much luck goes into being truly wealthy. To go from little to obscenely wealthy you need to take real risks, whether educated or not. Those risks either pay off or not...and that is really luck. Lots of people work their butts off, but their risk didn't work out or their timing was just slightly off. Also, I find that many of the super rich have a different attitude towards others than than non-super rich. Empathy is a missing quality in many of the truly rich (not low end millionaires, but high million to billionaires).

These are all generalizations, though.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

BTW, I believe the technical term for that POV is "Social Darwinism", although I usually just think of it as narcissistic "entitlement".

The only narcissistic entitlement here are the people who believe that others owe them something.

Poor people are poor because of bad decisions.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I see your point of view - people who earn their wealth through honest means deserve it, and if they give a lot of their earnings to charity, that's even better. That doesn't mean they should avoid paying their fair share of taxes, nor should it mean they get better treatment in court, or can evade the law due to their influence and wealth. Besides, it isn't just 'poor' people who feel angry - it's middle-class people who have also suffered during the economic downturn in developed countries and in the UK, have seen wages fall quite markedly, while the very rich remain unaffected. Let's be honest here - most people won't become millionaires and certainly not billionaires. That doesn't mean they aren't successful at what they do, and it's understandable that the majority of the population will feel anger or resentment towards the small group of very rich people who live in their own bubble and have a disproportionate influence over what happens, even if it doesn't directly impact them.

I don't think people are angry because wealthy people are wealthy - I'm sure most of us wish we were in their position - I think it's more to do with how the rich alienate themselves from mainstream society and control so much despite making up such a small percentage of the population.

I agree with all of your points here

Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Poor people are poor because of bad decisions.
That is an incorrect statement. Illness, luck of who and where you are born, educational opportunities, catastrophes, etc are all reasons for being poor.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
That is an incorrect statement. Illness, luck of who and where you are born, educational opportunities, catastrophes, etc are all reasons for being poor.
There are a lot of reasons for being poor, there is what you posted and there is also laziness, drugs and gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World