Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Garbus View Post
I got all the questions right on the test--but apparently in my 80,000 person city, 3,000 people applied for the jobs!
Needless to say, I'm not expecting a call from the government anytime soon...
Yep. I took the test last summer. Then, they asked me to take their "supervisory test" which took another 2 hours.
I was told that I did well on both tests but I don't have the 10 point military advantage.

I was at the job service today. They told me that the Census is starting training in my area next week and it's being held at the Job Service office.

btw -- They're still taking applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Yep. I took the test last summer. Then, they asked me to take their "supervisory test" which took another 2 hours.
I was told that I did well on both tests but I don't have the 10 point military advantage.

I was at the job service today. They told me that the Census is starting training in my area next week and it's being held at the Job Service office.

btw -- They're still taking applications.
My job with the Census is to recruit would-be census takers, and yes, we are still taking applications. The turnover rate is insanely high- people decide they don't like the work, they go through training and feel that the money for that alone is good enough, etc., so we need to have as large a pool as possible.

BTW, I took the test for census taker a little over a month ago, and they called me back by the end of the week offering me an even better gig. So for anyone who is discouraged from applying, don't be- you never know.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Default well aren't you special???....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
My job with the Census is to recruit would-be census takers, and yes, we are still taking applications. The turnover rate is insanely high- people decide they don't like the work, they go through training and feel that the money for that alone is good enough, etc., so we need to have as large a pool as possible.

BTW, I took the test for census taker a little over a month ago, and they called me back by the end of the week offering me an even better gig. So for anyone who is discouraged from applying, don't be- you never know.
Maybe they should HIRE the people who are really interested in DOING the work and offer jobs to the people who applied first,
instead of continuing to take applications and offering jobs to Veterans with the 10 Point Advantage first,...

I was one of the first ones to take the test last summer. I did well on the test.

I called to express interest and they asked me to take their Supervisor Test. Again, I did well on the Supervisor Test and followed up with a phone call to find out when they were planning to start. During the Supervisor Test, they again asked WHO gets the Veteran advantage?

All in all, I've wasted about 2 hours each taking these "tests" over the last year. That's a total of about 4 hours of my time.

I was willing to do the job and I know exactly what the job entails. I actually helped with a Census when I was 18 or so.

It seems that the government feels that it is necessary to test hundreds of thousands of people, all over the United States for almost a year..
and apparently they then offer jobs to the last ones tested first..

I'm so happy to hear that you got offered a "bigger gig" within a week of taking the test. YOU must be of truly superior intellect to the hundreds of thousands of people that they've tested over the past year that they would offer you "an even better gig within a week of taking the test - last month."

I'm obviously not what they're looking for.

At this point, IMO, they can just hire veterans... let them do it.

What a waste of time and taxpayer money.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-19-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:

I don't get it. I aced the test back in January and haven't heard a peep.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Default Your tax dollars at work...

In the age of computer technology, does the government really need to conduct Census' the old fashioned way ??
It seems to me that they already have this information available to them about American households.

But, of course... I'm apparently not even smart enough to get hired to do the census....

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Census Bureau wasted millions of dollars in preparation for its 2010 population count, including thousands of temporary employees who picked up $300 checks without performing work and others who overbilled for travel costs.
Federal investigators caution the excessive charges could multiply once the $15 billion headcount begins in earnest next month unless the agency imposes tighter spending controls, according to excerpts of a forthcoming audit obtained by The Associated Press.
Audit finds US census preparations wasted millions - WTOC, Savannah, Georgia, news, weather and sports |

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
My sister (non-veteran) took the test and got a perfect score. Never got called back. FWIW.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Keep in mind that a certain type of workers are not needed until after the results of the mail-ins are known.
Some are only needed to chase down who, if any, are living at the addresses for which there was no reply or those that don't seem 'right'.
Early workers go out and identify and list any structure that looks like it can qualify as a habitable structure.
Impossible to tell what the response will be on the mail-ins so impossible to tell how many are needed to do the follow ups.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe they should HIRE the people who are really interested in DOING the work and offer jobs to the people who applied first,
instead of continuing to take applications and offering jobs to Veterans with the 10 Point Advantage first,...

I was one of the first ones to take the test last summer. I did well on the test.

I called to express interest and they asked me to take their Supervisor Test. Again, I did well on the Supervisor Test and followed up with a phone call to find out when they were planning to start. During the Supervisor Test, they again asked WHO gets the Veteran advantage?

All in all, I've wasted about 2 hours each taking these "tests" over the last year. That's a total of about 4 hours of my time.

I was willing to do the job and I know exactly what the job entails. I actually helped with a Census when I was 18 or so.

It seems that the government feels that it is necessary to test hundreds of thousands of people, all over the United States for almost a year..
and apparently they then offer jobs to the last ones tested first..

I'm so happy to hear that you got offered a "bigger gig" within a week of taking the test. YOU must be of truly superior intellect to the hundreds of thousands of people that they've tested over the past year that they would offer you "an even better gig within a week of taking the test - last month."

I'm obviously not what they're looking for.

At this point, IMO, they can just hire veterans... let them do it.

What a waste of time and taxpayer money.
Wow- where did I say, or insinuate, that I had "superior intellect"? My points were that what happened with me fell under the "you never know" category and that hiring is largely determined by the amount of work needed in specific areas. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you so far.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Wow- where did I say, or insinuate, that I had "superior intellect"? My points were that what happened with me fell under the "you never know" category and that hiring is largely determined by the amount of work needed in specific areas. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you so far.
Did you happen to receive the 10 point Veteran Advantage?

just curious....

Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Did you happen to receive the 10 point Veteran Advantage?

just curious....
No, I didn't. I didn't get a 5 point advantage, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment