Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 05:18 AM

377 posts, read 274,162 times

Advertisements

I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 05:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
"Looking Busy" Screensaver Desktop

I still have this. I did a search through my files.

I had a friend I worked out with at the work gym a number of years ago who told me his boss kept walking down the aisles looking at people's pc screens to make sure they were constantly busy. It irked him. So I created a gift for him.

I took an excel spreadsheet and designed it with the look and feel of what his area was programming. Then I went and googled quantum physics formulas. Here is a good example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntum_mechanics

Take the topic you are working on in one color on the excel s sheet. For instance, coding tax rates for pay. Copy your work related duty in a line and merge the cells and make it a specific muted color. Then below that, paste in a formula and do sets that cover several rows. Take a few topics and do this until you fill up the spreadsheet, make it look fancy and official and save it as your desktop. Title it on the top with your work area's name or field.

He could click on it anytime the boss was roaming around his section.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
I couldn't work like that.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I couldn't work like that.
Well, if you want a paycheck you are forced to work with a variety of people. Some bosses like to look at your screen.
Get creative and use the "looking busy screensaver."
Problem solved.

Why are you all so serious and bothered over a nosy boss? It's his issue not yours, he has more than just you to deal with I suspect.

Learn to get creative with people and their nuances. It can work to your advantage and could be fun.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
There are privacy screens that prevent people from seeing your screen.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:17 AM

377 posts, read 274,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Well, if you want a paycheck you are forced to work with a variety of people. Some bosses like to look at your screen.
Get creative and use the "looking busy screensaver."
Problem solved.

Why are you all so serious and bothered over a nosy boss? It's his issue not yours, he has more than just you to deal with I suspect.

Learn to get creative with people and their nuances. It can work to your advantage and could be fun.
Thats not true because Most bosses don't sit next to you as described in my situation. If he's looking closely enough to read my emails from my screen the look busy screen saver would not work. Its a different situation if your boss just walks around occasionally and glances at your screen.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:19 AM

984 posts, read 441,659 times
No, that's not acceptable and I'd talk to him about it or find a new job.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:31 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Can you help explain how he's sitting next to you? Does he pull up a chair directly next to you and just stare at your screen quietly or does he sit next to you and already have viewable access to your screen?

3,882 posts, read 2,369,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
No, it is not normal. Most workers have some type of distance from their manager. But even still, some managers like to walk around and look at the screens of people while they're working doing just as you described. You could immediately stop what you are working on, look him in the eye and say "Is there something you need?". Sometimes doing that breaks people of that habit.

You could try having a one on one meeting with him and explain that when he does that it makes you feel uncomfortable. But you said he's a control freak, and there is no magic to change that in someone. You need to transfer to another group with a different manager if possible, or update your resume and find a better place to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
There are privacy screens that prevent people from seeing your screen.
This. Get one of these or find a new job.

If my boss had a need to scoot his chair up and read my emails or see me on city data, have at it guy. Who are you going to get to replace my position. As long as I am doing my job to the job's demands and requirements, I just don't care. That's me though.

My boss would not do that. He has walked over when I have been on email chatting it up with a buddy. We have TEAMS meetings where I am sharing my desktop and that email pop up preview from your latest friend discussion comes up for the participants to see. That's okay. You go folks. Enjoy the read.

If I mind my p's and q's and not gossip or look at nudies over the internet (would be hard with our firewalls), I don't have anything fascinating enough to care if people see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment