Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Well, let me start off my saying I paid $1200 for this computer about 6 months ago. I turned it on yesterday and it was occasionally flashing this odd pink/green color on the monitor, but everything stayed up. Then about 5 minutes later, everything turned green, but I could still see everything. I shut it down to restart and when it was cutting off, the screen looked like one of those glass things with the multi-colored sand that changes colors shapes. I turned it back on and it was fine, but now, even as I type this, its occasionally flicking again.... sound like a major issue or something loose?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I'd check the connections at both ends of the cable. Look for any bent pins at those connections.

If your monitor has a degauss button, push it.

Anything been placed by it recently? Fan, old style telephone, etc. Anything with a magnet/motor.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi and thanks.

Yep, all connections are tight and with the little screws tight.

Nope, nothing setting near the computer like old phones, fan, etc.

I will look further into loose connections though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd check the connections at both ends of the cable. Look for any bent pins at those connections.

If your monitor has a degauss button, push it.

Anything been placed by it recently? Fan, old style telephone, etc. Anything with a magnet/motor.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Less than a year old, I'm going to guess you have an LCD screen, thus there will be no degauss option.

Go into the menu (settings) of the monitor itself, and if those menus are also changing color then it is a monitor problem. If they are not, then it is external, cable/connections being the most likely.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 AM

Yeah its actually a HD display 19 inch monitor and its about 6 months old. It stopped doing it again... I am guessing something may be loose... or at least it had better be - I will be ticked if this thing is already breaking down! If it does it again, I will check what you said. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Less than a year old, I'm going to guess you have an LCD screen, thus there will be no degauss option.

Go into the menu (settings) of the monitor itself, and if those menus are also changing color then it is a monitor problem. If they are not, then it is external, cable/connections being the most likely.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah its actually a HD display 19 inch monitor and its about 6 months old. It stopped doing it again... I am guessing something may be loose... or at least it had better be - I will be ticked if this thing is already breaking down! If it does it again, I will check what you said. Thanks!
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the monitor is failing, better now than after the waranty runs out

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 AM

555 posts, read 1,572,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the monitor is failing, better now than after the waranty runs out
I'd have to say that that's exactly what's happening. If it was a connection issue, your screen would probably be flashing to a black screen. A driver problem would also cut to a black screen.

I've never had an issue like this with an LCD, although I had it with my first ever monitor (CRT), which was about 10 years old at the time. It was just going bad.

If you have a receipt, go see if you can trade it in. You may have gotten a damaged product.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM

124 posts, read 501,753 times
Probably either the monitor or the vid card are going bad. Try swapping monitors or cards and see if it eliminates the problem.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Give it a big ole whack on the side and see if that fixes it.

JUST KIDDING! That doesn't really work anymore but I remember the days that it did.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 30,896 times
i'm trying to sort out me dad's Monitor -- it flickers into green and pink at different times,.. then shuts down the computer and when it reboots there is no signal at all -- until i leave it off for a few minutes then it comes back...

THE OLD TRICK of giving the PC a good WHACK actually solved it , momentarily,.. it came back a little later and then did the black-screen/reboot trick... but i left it off and now its been oK.... I WHACKED it gently at first around where the video card was,... and it nearly fixed it -- then WHACKED it bit harder (not mentally hard) and it fixed the prob....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers