Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 09:23 AM

377 posts, read 274,162 times

Advertisements

How about I just leave this thread up while he is looking at my screen? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 09:23 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Is this supposed to be a brag? Your situation is totally different than having your boss looking over your shoulder to spy on you
Goodness sakes peoples. I think I posted a fake it till you make it post in here not too long ago (under a topic called "what is your superpower") on how I passed the PMP using songs and raps because I was too dense to grasp the material. And a true story on how I got credit for some other guys work. I am a dense hooman that fakes things in work and exams and gets by until I learn what I need to do. I have NO PROBLEM fessing that up.

Me CLUELESS. Me has faked my way through my career. I now do know what I am doing because I have done it for a long time.

There you go.

I can't get serious on forums because I don't want to so I am more light hearted/light natured in my responses. And I don't spend a lot of time trying to look pc and kind in my wording.

I apologize to you all for coming across as arrogant and uncaring.

Would someone scooting up their chair, grabbing my mouse and reading my mails bother me. Yes. It probably would seem very abnormal.

I will exit now and scold myself.

If this bothers Durpie he should meet with his boss and ask why the need to read his mails and be upfront and honest about how uncomfortable this makes him feel.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
I realize there are all types of managers and employees but I feel pretty strongly that watching over people or walking up and down isles to check on people is really not a good way to measure office productivity.
My opinion is the manager could be doing his job better. The work employees do should be measurable in some way, whether it be number of calls taken (call center), items produced, projects delivered on time etc...
Walking around or checking people's Teams status really isn't quality data.
And as previously mentioned the distractions can be costly. Look up how much time and dollars are wasted due to workplace distractions. Its not trivial.

There are places were keeping a close eye on people make more sense such as manufacturing or warehouse work to name a few, but even then more for safety as production can be measured other ways.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:09 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I realize there are all types of managers and employees but I feel pretty strongly that watching over people or walking up and down isles to check on people is really not a good way to measure office productivity.
My opinion is the manager could be doing his job better. The work employees do should be measurable in some way, whether it be number of calls taken (call center), items produced, projects delivered on time etc...
Walking around or checking people's Teams status really isn't quality data.
And as previously mentioned the distractions can be costly. Look up how much time and dollars are wasted due to workplace distractions. Its not trivial.

There are places were keeping a close eye on people make more sense such as manufacturing or warehouse work to name a few, but even then more for safety as production can be measured other ways.
Yes, this is a carry over from manufacturing and for some reason there are still people that think this is a good idea for those working at a desk. They watch the clock, pay attention what time people arrive at their desks, how long they spend at lunch and when they leave. They walk around seeing if workers "look" busy or not, which just teaches people to focus on looking busy than actually being productive. Check to see how long people aren't at their desks and then their co-workers where they are. These seem to be the same managers from my experience who schedule two-hour meetings which are useless and could have been done through email or not at all.

I decided early in my career in managing groups that I wasn't going to do any of that, because I think it is insulting to people and doesn't produce better quality work. The idea of watching someone work at a desk is a waste of time as a manager. We do project manager, and work is assigned with deadlines. If I have to sit there and watch someone work, then this wasn't a good hire and they need to be replaced.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:50 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I had one supervisor who liked to take periodic strolls through our worksite snooping on others. While the realities of the building meant his own reports were somewhat scattered, he didn't confine his habit to those he supervised. Of course, he claimed he was just innocently stretching his legs. No one believed that, as he somehow seemed to know more than was necessary about other people's work he wasn't involved in.

He also tended to be sanctimonious and self-important. No other employee could be as devoted to the mission as he was. It was obnoxious enough for his reports (all of whom were self-motivated subject matter experts) to glance up and realize they were being monitored, but outrageous to those who weren't. He had enjoyed favored status with some higher ups for a long time. Finally, a fairly new co-worker who didn't report to him objected to his little "visits", documented them, and filed a complaint...and won quite a judgement. Don't know the details obviously, but he did suffer some degree of personal wing-clipping. He walked around with a long-suffering, martyred attitude for quite a while. As more complaints about his treatment of others began to surface, he no longer looked like such a paragon.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-22-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:36 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Goodness sakes peoples. I think I posted a fake it till you make it post in here not too long ago (under a topic called "what is your superpower") on how I passed the PMP using songs and raps because I was too dense to grasp the material. And a true story on how I got credit for some other guys work. I am a dense hooman that fakes things in work and exams and gets by until I learn what I need to do. I have NO PROBLEM fessing that up.

Me CLUELESS. Me has faked my way through my career. I now do know what I am doing because I have done it for a long time.

There you go.

I can't get serious on forums because I don't want to so I am more light hearted/light natured in my responses. And I don't spend a lot of time trying to look pc and kind in my wording.

I apologize to you all for coming across as arrogant and uncaring.

Would someone scooting up their chair, grabbing my mouse and reading my mails bother me. Yes. It probably would seem very abnormal.

I will exit now and scold myself.

If this bothers Durpie he should meet with his boss and ask why the need to read his mails and be upfront and honest about how uncomfortable this makes him feel.
So what you're saying is you feel as if you're better than all of us then, is that right???

Old 06-22-2022, 03:36 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
That's very annoying. Unless he needed to discuss things with you, I don't see why he has to do that.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I couldn't work like that.
Me either. I'd have to find a new job.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
We share an office where he sits about 3 feet from me.
Is there a reason you share an office?

Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
This does not seem normal to me at all. Personally, I would hate it. I would tell your boss that you're having trouble concentrating and focusing on your work with him being so close to you. Then I would ask to be moved to a different area. Or, if this were not possible, I would ask for a three-sided privacy screen to be placed around your computer monitor, with the one open side facing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment