Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 12:11 PM

50,481 posts, read 47,192,013 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't work in those conditions for six seconds. Even when my "boss" worked directly behind me she was busy enough to not have a second to see what I was doing. We have these modern things called metrics. I either make my numbers or I don't. This isn't 1989 anymore. Businesses need to realize workers have actual lives that require occasional interruptions during the workday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 08:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,150,473 times
I'd be on city-data. He could view my post for all i care.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:55 AM

683 posts, read 855,509 times
I mean the clear cut advice is to deal with it or quit. Micromanagers have always been in existence, and yes there are extreme cases like the one you are mentioning. It begs the question though why is he needed if they have that much time on their hands? This is why since remote started, many companies are trimming the fat. Seeing that they don't need middle management as much.

I personally could never deal with this. I would probably quit. Talking about it isn't going to change anything. Control Freaks never change. One thing I always ask in an interview is their management style. Are you a micromanager or expect employees to do their work with little supervision? You can tell who the micromanager if they don't answer the question and get a little perturbed by the question.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:28 PM

683 posts, read 855,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Well, if you want a paycheck you are forced to work with a variety of people. Some bosses like to look at your screen.
Get creative and use the "looking busy screensaver."
Problem solved.

Why are you all so serious and bothered over a nosy boss? It's his issue not yours, he has more than just you to deal with I suspect.

Learn to get creative with people and their nuances. It can work to your advantage and could be fun.
I don't know I guess most people like normal people. Not annoying narcissistic ones.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:42 PM

45,516 posts, read 60,746,993 times
And I worked for a school system that, at 11AM every day, scanned all the computers in use or turned on that were on the system's servers to see what websites teachers were on at that time.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:09 PM

4,998 posts, read 2,729,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
Perhaps one way to get that guy off your back is to immediately engage him in conversation as soon as he comments on something that you are doing. Explain in detail everything that you are doing in excruciating detail, drawing out the conversation for as long as possible, and indirectly showing him that your productivity just took a dive since you've had to stop and explain. If he persists, then turn to him more often and keep asking him questions. Questions, questions, questions, until he says that you should be able to do your job independently, and then you turn away. If he comes back later with more comments then start explaining again, in sugary detail again, and start those questions again, monopolizing his time and not stopping until he breaks off. Maybe he'll get the message, unless his job is to sit on you and only you and have absolutely nothing else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment