Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:13 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
We share an office where he sits about 3 feet from me.

Ish. Between this and the screen reading issue and that you wrote that your boss is a control freak, time to look for another job.

A good manager - a good leader - hires qualified people, gets them the tools they need (including training) and gets out of the way. Micromanaging is the sign of a really bad manager.

It is a hot job market for most industries right now. Take a look what is out there - you might be surprised at the opportunities you have (better pay, better conditions, WFH, better environment). But I really wouldn't try to talk with him about it - your choices are to either endure it or move on (but you do have choices).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 07:09 AM

9,463 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
No, that's not acceptable and I'd talk to him about it or find a new job.
I agree. I would also call him on it. Ask him if he thinks you are not working.....or whether he is trying to catch you doing something inappropriate. What is his problem? LOL

Old 06-23-2022, 09:16 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
How long have you been working there? Is he trying to make sure a new employee is up to speed? Does he do this to other people? Have there been any complaints about your work?

Old 06-23-2022, 02:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
I'm wondering where he's sitting to be able to see your screen so clearly. Screens are usually fuzzy from the side for this very reason.

You can get a screen for your pc that makes it fuzzy from the side, if that's where he's sitting. The screen is for security reasons.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:34 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm wondering where he's sitting to be able to see your screen so clearly. Screens are usually fuzzy from the side for this very reason.

You can get a screen for your pc that makes it fuzzy from the side, if that's where he's sitting. The screen is for security reasons.
If he is the boss, he has the right to see what's on your screen. That will just justify his looking over your shoulder as you're trying to hide something from him. Now if he were a good boss, he'd have no need to look at your screen to monitor your work. But we've already established that he isn't.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:33 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can you help explain how he's sitting next to you? Does he pull up a chair directly next to you and just stare at your screen quietly or does he sit next to you and already have viewable access to your screen?
Quote:
We share an office where he sits about 3 feet from me.

I figured that too...that his desk is literally next to yours in the office. I'd personally hate that & I actually do my work...I don't goof off.

Is it just you two in this office? You must be his right-hand man & have to work together that closely throughout the day, I'm assuming.

Who in the heck wants their boss in their actual office permanently all day M-F for 8 hrs a day?! I sure in heck wouldn't! You can't even take a quick personal call if you have to. Heck, you can't even fart if you have to!

I have no idea how you can stop this unless you actually suggest moving to another office space in which your boss will want to know why, etc.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:11 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
I wouldn't work under those conditions for 2 seconds. Plus, working remotely, all these sups do is bombard everyone with email so they think everyone thinks they are busy. Times have changed. That pat everyone on the head every 10 seconds doesn't fly now.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:48 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Set your Windows display for night light. It's better on the eyes for many people that use the PC but it's harder for people to see from side view or far away. You can turn on/off the setting and tweak it as well.

It's called "Night Light" and comes with windows. It's just a display setting.

It's helpful when using the PC at night, as it's not as bright. But it's fine for all day use as well.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If he is the boss, he has the right to see what's on your screen. That will just justify his looking over your shoulder as you're trying to hide something from him. Now if he were a good boss, he'd have no need to look at your screen to monitor your work. But we've already established that he isn't.
My post isn't speaking about his rights. It's that he's surreptitiously looking at her screen. He's not demanding to see what's on her screen. That's two different scenarios.

Get a fuzzy-screen for the pc, IF he's on the side of her. He's seated somewhere, which is an unusual setup. If he's behind her, there's nothing she can do.

As you say, if he tells her to take off the fuzzy screen so he can keep a check on what she's doing, she'll have to do that. But I just wondered where he is sitting, in the first place, since most pc screens are blurry from the side.

Anyone who's seated directly behind you will look at your screen. It's a given. It's irritating, but not that important.. Unless you plan to spend years there, sitting in the same place.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:12 PM

629 posts, read 410,834 times
Quote:
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
Very little, IMO, happens for "no" reason?

Why is it that you are looking at e-mails often enough that this is an ongoing problem? Kinda reminds me of the old story where Eve is embarrassed because she is naked in front of god, and god asks her "And just how do you know you are naked"?

We've had problems with millennials at work who just can't seem to put their cell phones down, after they go on the clock, (texting all day long) so bad that it became a joke we were told to remain vigilant looking for.

Once you're on the clock and on the bosses computers, there is very little you can do to stop him from being concerned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment