Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:05 PM

994 posts, read 548,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
No.

Last edited by CCS414; 06-30-2022 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 11:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,893,802 times
Quit.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:18 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,323,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Well, if you want a paycheck you are forced to work with a variety of people. Some bosses like to look at your screen.
Get creative and use the "looking busy screensaver."
Problem solved.

Why are you all so serious and bothered over a nosy boss? It's his issue not yours, he has more than just you to deal with I suspect.

Learn to get creative with people and their nuances. It can work to your advantage and could be fun.

Because it goes beyond being a boss. Hell, it goes beyond micro-managing. That's a sign of paranoia; a boss constantly assuming all of his/her employees are nothing but lazy slackers not doing their jobs. That shows the boss doesn't have any trust. It's also incredibly ignorant.

If you're working on a major project and have a month's worth of back-and-forth emails, who the hell are they to "shoulder surf" (that's an actual term we use in IT for people sticking their noses in other's business at work, regarding sensitive data/info, and is actually illegal) and just jump into the conversation? That's no different than being at a cookout having a conversation, and the annoying Uncle swoops in and goes "Oh yeah, I've had that happen to me!"

That's the type of attitude that will cause the boss to see his employers going elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Then Durpee22 needs to find a new job.

I have taken the 4 hour PMP exam and the Comptia Sec + (2 hours??) exam with a camera to my face and hands in a center with people all around me hacking away at their keyboards. Talk about concentration killers. These are expensive exams that your employer has pressured you to pass that you have taken a year or so to study for and you are under the gun literally - and you darn well better pass.

You just ignore it and do the exam. Same with work. Same with being in the gym and someone belches or worse next to you while you are maxxing out on some dangerous set. Ignore and complete.

Apples and oranges bud. I've taken those same exams when I was in trade school, as well as continuing ed courses through work. CompTia makes it very clear on their websites, in their emails, bulletin notices, and just about any area that describes how the exams are done, that you'll be under a microscope. I knew beforehand that I'd have to surrender my phone, wallet, keys, and any other electronic devices before taking the test. I knew I couldn't talk, and could only raise my hand for questions, and had to wait for the person to pop in the room to speak to me.

It comes with the territory, and many places that hold exams for certs operate this way. And with good reasons; they have strict guidelines and do every possible to prevent cheating. Being under a microscope at your job due to a nosy boss isn't even remotely close to your argument. Unless the job specifically states that you'll be constantly monitored, then there's no reason for one's boss to be that far up your ass.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Goodness sakes peoples. I think I posted a fake it till you make it post in here not too long ago (under a topic called "what is your superpower") on how I passed the PMP using songs and raps because I was too dense to grasp the material. And a true story on how I got credit for some other guys work. I am a dense hooman that fakes things in work and exams and gets by until I learn what I need to do. I have NO PROBLEM fessing that up.

Me CLUELESS. Me has faked my way through my career. I now do know what I am doing because I have done it for a long time.

There you go.

I can't get serious on forums because I don't want to so I am more light hearted/light natured in my responses. And I don't spend a lot of time trying to look pc and kind in my wording.

I apologize to you all for coming across as arrogant and uncaring.

Would someone scooting up their chair, grabbing my mouse and reading my mails bother me. Yes. It probably would seem very abnormal.

I will exit now and scold myself.

If this bothers Durpie he should meet with his boss and ask why the need to read his mails and be upfront and honest about how uncomfortable this makes him feel.

So in other words, you're a slacker who rode on other people's coattails for success, and got lucky passing an exam?

Gotcha.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My post isn't speaking about his rights. It's that he's surreptitiously looking at her screen. He's not demanding to see what's on her screen. That's two different scenarios.

Get a fuzzy-screen for the pc, IF he's on the side of her. He's seated somewhere, which is an unusual setup. If he's behind her, there's nothing she can do.

As you say, if he tells her to take off the fuzzy screen so he can keep a check on what she's doing, she'll have to do that. But I just wondered where he is sitting, in the first place, since most pc screens are blurry from the side.

Anyone who's seated directly behind you will look at your screen. It's a given. It's irritating, but not that important.. Unless you plan to spend years there, sitting in the same place.

LOL at fuzzy screen. They're called privacy screens.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:35 PM

595 posts, read 266,206 times
It's not normal. It sounds like your boss doesn't have enough work to do. I could not work in a situation like that.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I couldn't work like that.
Same for me. Micromanaging just stresses me out and impacts my work negatively. I've had managers that would sit with me for particular production issues that came up (just to get a status update or see my progress), but they wouldn't monitor my activities for like 20-30 minutes consistently. If I was the OP I'd start looking.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:12 AM

1,400 posts, read 769,757 times
It's not YOUR computer, it is THEIR computer and you are there to do work for which you get paid. You really shouldn't be doing anything on your computer other than whatever your job is.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:05 AM

377 posts, read 275,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
It's not YOUR computer, it is THEIR computer and you are there to do work for which you get paid. You really shouldn't be doing anything on your computer other than whatever your job is.
Well in that case does that mean I get to stare at my bosses computer screen all day? Its not my bosses computer either. Technically it could be shareholders or the CEO's computer if you want to use that stupid logic. Should everyone have a live streaming camera pointed at their screens for shareholders to look at? And I never said I was doing anything I shouldn't, so I don't know where you got that from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment