Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 06:36 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

If I mind my p's and q's and not gossip or look at nudies over the internet (would be hard with our firewalls), I don't have anything fascinating enough to care if people see it.
It's not about privacy, it is about someone breaking your concentration constantly by doing as the OP described and making commentary on email you are reading or whatever you are working on. It is easy to say, that you don't care and let them look, but this isn't being done to you. If you were studying for an exam and someone kept doing this to you, you would be annoyed by it. Some are micromanagers and they won't let workers be and do the work they hired them to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 06:45 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It's not about privacy, it is about someone breaking your concentration constantly by doing as the OP described and making commentary on email you are reading or whatever you are working on. It is easy to say, that you don't care and let them look, but this isn't being done to you. If you were studying for an exam and someone kept doing this to you, you would be annoyed by it. Some are micromanagers and they won't let workers be and do the work they hired them to do.
Then Durpee22 needs to find a new job.

I have taken the 4 hour PMP exam and the Comptia Sec + (2 hours??) exam with a camera to my face and hands in a center with people all around me hacking away at their keyboards. Talk about concentration killers. These are expensive exams that your employer has pressured you to pass that you have taken a year or so to study for and you are under the gun literally - and you darn well better pass.

You just ignore it and do the exam. Same with work. Same with being in the gym and someone belches or worse next to you while you are maxxing out on some dangerous set. Ignore and complete.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:02 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:

I have taken the 4 hour PMP exam and the Comptia Sec + (2 hours??) exam with a camera to my face and hands in a center with people all around me hacking away at their keyboards. Talk about concentration killers. These are expensive exams that your employer has pressured you to pass that you have taken a year or so to study for and you are under the gun literally - and you darn well better pass.

You just ignore it and do the exam. Same with work. Same with being in the gym and someone belches or worse next to you while you are maxxing out on some dangerous set. Ignore and complete.
You aren't having someone talk to you during an exam. What you describe is almost any work environment with cubes with people hacking away at their keyboards or being around people at a gym. That's not the same thing here at all. You lack empathy and likely never experienced what the OP is talking about. By the way, PMP is not a big deal, thousands of people have passed it. The cost of the exam is nothing compared to a day's pay at the job for the employer, but you get an "A" for effort for making this post with all the non sequiturs all about you patting yourself on the back about taking an exam and going to the gym.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I have a boss who is a control freak who sits next to be all day and is constantly looking at my computer screen. Sometimes I will be reading an email and he will just chime in on an email I'm looking at without me even knowing he was looking. It actually makes me uncomfortable. I don't need any generic obvious advice like "either deal with it or quit." I guess I just want to know if this seems normal and acceptable and if you would care if your boss did this to you?
Okay so I read this again. Is it normal and acceptable. Question: What in this world is even normal and acceptable anymore.

My honest answer: Unless I was not performing, as long as I know I am doing my job properly and to the best of my ability, the guy could scoot over, lean in and read every nuance of what I was doing and I would probably ask him why did he have a need for this and move on with my life. I don't know that it would bother me or not. I would think he was weird but it would be his problem and not mine. Maybe I would start a regular diet of sardines and fish at my desk. I do tuna now.

When I first started my job a number of years ago it was in a new area without cubicles yet and we all sat together at tables, right next to each other. You could see the person's screen on either side of you. You just accepted it at the time.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You lack empathy and likely never experienced what the OP is talking about. By the way, PMP is not a big deal, thousands of people have passed it.
We don't always know people or who they really are and whether they are emphatic or not. You don't know me, I don't know you. Some of us would be very surprised to meet and know each other and who we really are. We make assumptions. I don't spend a lot of time on here but chat during a free moment when I am WFH usually.

I am just not a picky person when it comes to people around me.

As for emphatic, I am sure if we all met together, we would be very surprised at what we would see and learn about each other. A forum is not always a good character indicator.

PMP was a huge deal for me. I am really not as smart as all those thousands and will admit it but I was glad to pass! It was huge for me. I cried when I went out of the room to get my results after I saw I passed. The exam proctor said "Why are you crying. You scored above proficient in all areas." What a day!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Well, if you want a paycheck you are forced to work with a variety of people. Some bosses like to look at your screen.
Get creative and use the "looking busy screensaver."
Problem solved.
I am busy nearly all the time. I just can't work like that and never have needed to.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:27 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
For myself, I wouldn't tolerate it, and would quickly find another job. There is something inherently wrong with a boss, or anyone, breathing down your neck with their face in your monitor. I don't care if it is the boss, and there is nothing that says I have to stay there.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:24 AM

377 posts, read 274,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can you help explain how he's sitting next to you? Does he pull up a chair directly next to you and just stare at your screen quietly or does he sit next to you and already have viewable access to your screen?
We share an office where he sits about 3 feet from me.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
It's been a long time since I had to work that close to someone else, but when I did, the etiquette was too give each other space by not paying attention to the other's screen unless asked. It's like reading the phone of the guy in front of you on the bus. I might do it if I forget myself, but I'd be embarrassed if caught.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:03 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:

Is this supposed to be a brag? Your situation is totally different than having your boss looking over your shoulder to spy on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment