Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,315,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Be on time, Be drug free and sober.
Safety and security always.

Learn how to operate the forklift.
Maintain a positive attitude.
Do not destroy / steal product.

Sign up for tuition reimbursement if the company offers it and continue education. Show them you want to do more.
Solid advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:49 AM

453 posts, read 285,723 times
This may seem like a good idea, but please don't do it.

https://youtu.be/Z40fAQ8aEkg

Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,952,404 times
If your company offers a 401k, take advantage of any matching. Last company I worked for before retiring matched 8%.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:38 AM

45,471 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Then what's the point of this job?!?! You've just eliminated anything that would make it worthwhile.
He asked about starting the job so he's a probationary employee for awhile. After that, who knows what he'll find to do?

Oh, PatrioticSuperman, if you see one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

run away. You don't have the skill set yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmT_-erX0TA

Old 08-12-2021, 10:55 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,324 times
While I would'nt exactly 'obscess' on the following advice, I would non-the-less keep it in the back of your mind...at least until (if & when ?) you start getting 'feedback' from those who ARE in charge, over you...

(ie: those who actually write, sign and/or HAND you your paycheck):

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you, if you could know how seldom they do."

Short-version: it's just YOU, your forklift, and the 'thing' you are moving (from one place to another)...

...NOTHING else matters.*

Old 08-12-2021, 12:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,160,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Arrive on time. Dressed properly. Remember you can't listen while you are talking. Learn the job. Don't gossip. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck.
Nice.

(Wo)men who work shift jobs are commendable, backbone of America and amen to that. I'd add only to the above: arrive a little early for your shift, clock in when required. Dress appropriately for the role, never otherwise. Listen closely for the first weeks or months to learn the job. Careful about tongue wagging during lunch hour or breaks. And yes, no points awarded for "speed reholstering" as we say in a hobby I have: safety must always be first when operating equipment (and handling dangerous objects).

Did a fair amount of this for two summers in college before STEM internships as the money was great. Long time ago but the fundamentals never change. Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2021, 03:06 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Sign up for tuition reimbursement if the company offers it and continue education. Show them you want to do more.
But don't overdo it; there's nothing worse than too eager a beaver.

Do blue-collar jobs even offer tuition reimbursement?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:19 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But don't overdo it; there's nothing worse than too eager a beaver.

Do blue-collar jobs even offer tuition reimbursement?
Some do if it's related to the craft.

When I taught my system offered reimbursement (which was actually a joke, the money would be released at 8AM July 1st and be gone by 8:05) but specifically excluded degrees in law, engineering and any medical field.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:54 PM

9,481 posts, read 5,255,308 times
Had a sister who drove a forklift and the company was (rightfully so) rigid about safety. No shortcuts/
Plan for that. Keep your ears open and learn how to safely operate the machine.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:47 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some do if it's related to the craft.

When I taught my system offered reimbursement (which was actually a joke, the money would be released at 8AM July 1st and be gone by 8:05) but specifically excluded degrees in law, engineering and any medical field.
If a new employee started right off requesting continuing education, I'd think a) he's not interested in the job he's just taken and wants to move on from it and b) this is going to cost me money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment