Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
My employer used government grants to give us 6 weeks of paid leave back in Feb/March 2020.

Once that ran out, we've been back to work ever since.

You'd think at some point, people would start to wake up and believe their own eyes rather than what the media and politicians tell them.

In spite of coming to work every day like normal, people at my workplace have not been dropping dead. Who'd have thought?
That's great, you're where you belong. Other companies are fine with people working from home and if they choose to continue that, what does it matter to you? I am fully awake, thank you. But my views about COVID are my own and I have every right to feel how I feel. Additionally, I am high risk for getting serious complications from COVID, so no I have no intention of returning to the office. I'd have to commute on public transportation too, with nasty people. no thanks. and for your information, one positive covid case in one of our offices spread to others and they shut the entire office down as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
So I am just going to gab. It is Friday and I am lonely in my room. A lonely solitary human in a chair at a laptop sitting in this room 8 hours a day and some weekends. It has been 10 months in "the room." Unless a person is working with some bully natured people, or maybe an intolerable long commute, or a dirty office space in a bad area of the city, or maybe even a traffic congested huge city, how is work from home so attractive to you'all. I don't understand. Even school kids are seeing effects from isolation from others. I believe relating to humans and socializing is healthy for people.
Husb and I have no children. We have a cat. Maybe people with kids are different. Perhaps that is what it is....I seem to be the only one here having a very difficult time WFH. Every day blends into the next day until it is all one blur..
I'm sorry you're going through that. It does suck and I miss my coworkers, but that is why you have to do things to keep your mind off being isolated. Go take a walk around your neighborhood. Work in your garden. I do many things in addition to working and always go out for breaks. I will say that I do have kids though and it is a full house here every day. The pandemic is rough for a lot of folks, so again I feel you. I don't like people much but even people like me don't like to be isolated due to something like a pandemic. Looking forward into the future, I'd prefer a hybrid model of a few days in the office with other days at home because I do have to commute, which I don't like, and I like being here with my kids. The pandemic helped me realize that I was largely an absentee parent and that really sucked. My family life wasn't as good as it should have been and I would not have realized that had it not been for COVID. I was working, then working out, and then I came home to my kids (10 and 14). that wasn't fair for them. now i'm home and doing things with them. even our dog is happier with us home. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 02:22 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Other companies are fine with people working from home and if they choose to continue that, what does it matter to you?
It doesn't...

Quote:
I am fully awake, thank you. But my views about COVID are my own and I have every right to feel how I feel.
Struck a nerve, have we?

You have a right to express your views and feelings, just as others have a right to roundly ridicule you if your expressed views and feelings are ridiculous (I'm not saying yours are, nor am I ridiculing you).

Quote:
I'd have to commute on public transportation too, with nasty people.
Your humility and deference to the needs of others is truly palpable.

Quote:
and for your information, one positive covid case in one of our offices spread to others and they shut the entire office down as a result.
What am I to do with this information?

Old 02-05-2021, 02:28 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,399 times
I'm working from home until further notice. I'm cool with working from home because I get to spend time with my dogs on my lunch hour & in between breaks. My wife is a Head Nurse so she's been putting in 10-12hr shifts (with overtime) non-stop since the pandemic began.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
It doesn't...

Struck a nerve, have we?

You have a right to express your views and feelings, just as others have a right to roundly ridicule you if your expressed views and feelings are ridiculous (I'm not saying yours are, nor am I ridiculing you).

Your humility and deference to the needs of others is truly palpable.

What am I to do with this information?
1. Good, I'm glad that it doesn't. Also, thanks for confirming that I have a right. My views and feelings are no more ridiculous than those who believe contrarily. By telling people that they should 'wake up' and not believe the "covid religion", you are clearly implying that your beliefs about COVID are somehow the correct beliefs when that is up for interpretation and sure, that can go both ways. It wasn't a nerve being struck inasmuch as a minor annoyance at your implication that those who may not agree need to 'wake up' or are blindly following politicians and media, as if what you're saying is the only correct way to think.

2. Many people are nasty. before covid, many people found it hard to wash their hands after using the bathroom or cover their damn coughs. I have no bones saying what I said and don't care if someone finds that offensive.

3. Do whatever.

Last edited by riaelise; 02-05-2021 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 02:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,818,189 times

Old 02-05-2021, 03:59 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
So I am just going to gab. It is Friday and I am lonely in my room. A lonely solitary human in a chair at a laptop sitting in this room 8 hours a day and some weekends. It has been 10 months in "the room." Unless a person is working with some bully natured people, or maybe an intolerable long commute, or a dirty office space in a bad area of the city, or maybe even a traffic congested huge city, how is work from home so attractive to you'all. I don't understand. Even school kids are seeing effects from isolation from others. I believe relating to humans and socializing is healthy for people.
Husb and I have no children. We have a cat. Maybe people with kids are different. Perhaps that is what it is....I seem to be the only one here having a very difficult time WFH. Every day blends into the next day until it is all one blur..
Seriously? Wow. I have no need to be around other people all day, I have lots of interaction via emails and zoom meetings. And I can get up and put laundry in. I can let a repairman in. I can do personal calls without worry of bothering anyone else. I have thoroughly LOVED not having that 30 min drive in every morning and then back home. I can wake up and shower and be at my desk working inn 15 minutes flat. There is NO downside for me. NONE.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:19 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
I work at a university We've all been back in the office since June of 2020. They do voluntary weekly covid tests on asymptomatic people to try to catch those. I wish we could have WFH for longer - I loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously? Wow. I have no need to be around other people all day, I have lots of interaction via emails and zoom meetings. And I can get up and put laundry in. I can let a repairman in. I can do personal calls without worry of bothering anyone else. I have thoroughly LOVED not having that 30 min drive in every morning and then back home. I can wake up and shower and be at my desk working inn 15 minutes flat. There is NO downside for me. NONE.
I have to agree. I've had some moments that my husband and kids have been annoying and I wished they weren't in the house but that's about it.

I asked my boss this evening how he feels and he said he misses some face to face stuff but I almost feel like he has to say that ? lol I mean if he said oh I love working from home and not having to see any of you. It's great. I imagine some people feel they have to say they miss some face to face stuff or they will be seen as not supportive of the company. I am on team wfh. I don't miss seeing my co workers in person. Sorry not sorry.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:34 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am on team wfh. I don't miss seeing my co workers in person. Sorry not sorry.
Amen.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:44 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
1. Good, I'm glad that it doesn't. Also, thanks for confirming that I have a right. My views and feelings are no more ridiculous than those who believe contrarily. By telling people that they should 'wake up' and not believe the "covid religion", you are clearly implying that your beliefs about COVID are somehow the correct beliefs when that is up for interpretation and sure, that can go both ways. It wasn't a nerve being struck inasmuch as a minor annoyance at your implication that those who may not agree need to 'wake up' or are blindly following politicians and media, as if what you're saying is the only correct way to think.

2. Many people are nasty. before covid, many people found it hard to wash their hands after using the bathroom or cover their damn coughs. I have no bones saying what I said and don't care if someone finds that offensive.

3. Do whatever.
Exactamundo.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:04 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Same!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment