Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:01 AM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
I work at a university We've all been back in the office since June of 2020. They do voluntary weekly covid tests on asymptomatic people to try to catch those. I wish we could have WFH for longer - I loved it.
I also work at a large university. We've been told June 2021 is the soonest we'd return but it will vary from school to school, dept to dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:04 AM

841 posts, read 554,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also work at a large university. We've been told June 2021 is the soonest we'd return but it will vary from school to school, dept to dept.
It's been part of our marketing strategy and I guess it has worked. Record enrollments both in the fall and spring.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,131,601 times
Mine and my wife's company don't know when we will be returning. For half a year both companies keep extending 30 days. We are fortunate that we have been able to work remotely. My company has started dropping hints though that we might not be required to return to work in the office. I hope so and we will see.

weirdly enough, I have seen my team's performance increased dramatically since we have been WFH. When I check in with other managers from the office they are saying the same thing. Something I never would have thought possible before. There is actually consensus among us that we wont be returning for 40 hours a week even if the office opens up. Maybe only 20 hrs in the office and the rest at home now that we have proven we can do it once allowed to go back. heck finw with me if my entire team wants to WFH permanently.

So ultimately we may never return to the office for 45 hours a week like we were before even if they do finally let us in the building. So unsure what direction my company will ultimately go.

My wifes position is office admin.... tough to be an office admin if there is no office per say. Thankfully she has hooked up with the marketing department that has been understaffed so has been helping out. Extends he hours to 40 which is a relief. She works for a civil/land firm and they are still talking someday returning to the office. we'll see.

My money says neither of us will be allowed to return until we get the vax. I can see that being mandatory.

Last edited by 2Loud; 02-05-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 12:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,463,408 times
So I am just going to gab. It is Friday and I am lonely in my room. A lonely solitary human in a chair at a laptop sitting in this room 8 hours a day and some weekends. It has been 10 months in "the room." Unless a person is working with some bully natured people, or maybe an intolerable long commute, or a dirty office space in a bad area of the city, or maybe even a traffic congested huge city, how is work from home so attractive to you'all. I don't understand. Even school kids are seeing effects from isolation from others. I believe relating to humans and socializing is healthy for people.
Husb and I have no children. We have a cat. Maybe people with kids are different. Perhaps that is what it is....I seem to be the only one here having a very difficult time WFH. Every day blends into the next day until it is all one blur..

Old 02-05-2021, 12:47 PM

13,636 posts, read 7,963,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I believe relating to humans and socializing is healthy for people.
Of course it is. The forced isolation is intentional, and it will have dire consequences for all of society. It already is.

They won't give up power voluntarily. Nothing will change until people actively resist their dictates.

I'm not holding my breath. Too many people have bought into the covid religion completely. They love it, live for it, and actively proselytize.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:00 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
So I am just going to gab. It is Friday and I am lonely in my room. A lonely solitary human in a chair at a laptop sitting in this room 8 hours a day and some weekends. It has been 10 months in "the room." Unless a person is working with some bully natured people, or maybe an intolerable long commute, or a dirty office space in a bad area of the city, or maybe even a traffic congested huge city, how is work from home so attractive to you'all. I don't understand. Even school kids are seeing effects from isolation from others. I believe relating to humans and socializing is healthy for people.
Husb and I have no children. We have a cat. Maybe people with kids are different. Perhaps that is what it is....I seem to be the only one here having a very difficult time WFH. Every day blends into the next day until it is all one blur..
Don't you have friends you hang out with? Go out for a walk? Work should not be the main source of socializing/going out.

The reason WFH is so attractive to many is the freedom/flexibility you get, more saving money, not needing to wake up super early to a dreaded commute, etc.

I don't have kids and am in a relationship now, but was single during the height of the pandemic. I still loved WFH.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Of course it is. The forced isolation is intentional, and it will have dire consequences for all of society. It already is.

They won't give up power voluntarily. Nothing will change until people actively resist their dictates.

I'm not holding my breath. Too many people have bought into the covid religion completely. They love it, live for it, and actively proselytize.
I don't know who you are FSUMike, or who "they" is, or what philosophy or conspiracies you are into, but I luv ya.
You are my friend. One person in this work forum has something to say about isolation and I welcome your point of view! Getting ready for the weekend, the Superbowl and back to the room on Monday for another amazing workweek. Have a good one FSUMike.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Don't you have friends you hang out with? Go out for a walk? Work should not be the main source of socializing/going out.

The reason WFH is so attractive to many is the freedom/flexibility you get, more saving money, not needing to wake up super early to a dreaded commute, etc.

I don't have kids and am in a relationship now, but was single during the height of the pandemic. I still loved WFH.
Yes, we have friends. We usually do things on weekends. I go to the gym, but early in the am when it is empty. I like having a full day of being around people and activity. The people I work with are pretty amazing. Believe it or not, our friends are my co workers and some people from church. Right now, for some reason, our activities with our friends are not as prevalent as before, as they are trying to spend time with their families, that they have been separated from, doing out of town parents visits, all due to not being able to travel and see family all year.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:34 PM

792 posts, read 497,544 times
Quote:
This is what I do, it seems to help. I wake up every day, dress exactly the same as I did for work in Jan 2020 (minus the safety shoes). I'm online from 7:30-11:30. I then "work out" the best I can, "lifting" MWF, "cardio" T,Th. I then take a shower and eat lunch. Then I log back in, and I'm back online from 12:30-4. Then I log off, shut down and turn the light off in the "The Room" and don't think about it until tomorrow morning. Hell if I'm going to turn that computer on during the weekend.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM

841 posts, read 554,413 times
Quote:
Could be a bit of an introverted/extroverted type thing. Very introverted here and I come home just drained - and I am not ever really around very many people. I have my own large office - we are an office of 5 with 2 student workers. But just being 'on' for someone to walk by and stop in or to have to answer the phone, etc, can be too much for me. My coworkers are lovely, my commute is a nice 18-minute drive. I've been here almost 20 years. I take vacation days whenever I want, leave during the day whenever I want. I have a good work environment.

My only frustration at home was technology. We were in a temporary emergency situation - basically, we didn't come back after spring break, so we were using what we had at home. That meant I had a 3-year-old Chromebook and a 10-year-old laptop with no audio drive. No where near the capabilities I have up here at work. When I had to do end of term processing in May, I did get permission to come up to campus and work at my office. If we were going to do this long term, I'd figure out how to get permission to get my work computer plus 2 monitors home - I'd just have to buy a long ethernet cable.

I was able to get so much done at home and at work - I could start a load of laundry in the morning, switch it over, hang it up during lunch. Make any kind of lunch I wanted here at home. Wear comfy pants. I had great company (cats). I could play my music as loud as I wanted. No worries about not being here for a package delivery. But the best part of it was just mental. Sure - if I was in zoom meetings all day and had to have the camera on, it wasn't that different, but otherwise, I was in such a better state of mind at the end of the day than I am now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment