Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 09:33 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times

Advertisements

Our management announced yesterday that work from home will be permanent as a concept. But not everyone will the same. Some jobs require pretty much full time presence. A lot will be like mine as some kind of mix. I'm about 70% on site and 30% at home, though the mix varies week to week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 10:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
We are just told we will return "in 2021". They have admitted some will have some WFH but they do not define who is and is not part of that or how much.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times
My work announced we are working from home until June 2021, when they they will revisit the situation, but I've decided that I'm permanently working from home.

If they try to force me to come in, I'll quit on the spot.

This job is a lot of work, demands and hours for subpar pay, but the current WFH is a real benefit making staying at the job worth it for me. If they take that away, then they can find some other idiot to do all of this work while sitting in the office, it won't be me.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:56 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
My work announced we are working from home until June 2021, when they they will revisit the situation, but I've decided that I'm permanently working from home.

If they try to force me to come in, I'll quit on the spot.

This job is a lot of work, demands and hours for subpar pay, but the current WFH is a real benefit making staying at the job worth it for me. If they take that away, then they can find some other idiot to do all of this work while sitting in the office, it won't be me.

Same here except I'll find another WFH job before quitting. There are 4 on my team of 8 that have never seen each other in person and were hired as WFH. I wonder how many are only here as long as it is WFH and will quit instantly or start searching when people are required back in the office (and they will be).

Old 02-04-2021, 11:09 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Same here except I'll find another WFH job before quitting. There are 4 on my team of 8 that have never seen each other in person and were hired as WFH. I wonder how many are only here as long as it is WFH and will quit instantly or start searching when people are required back in the office (and they will be).
Actually, me too. If it is decided that I must be back in the office, then I'll immediately start a job search. My work is all on the computer or phone, and I am completely paperless, so there's zero reason for me to have to commute and sit in an office, other than a power play.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:39 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
We were told that we are going 100% remote, but I'm not fully buying it yet.

I needed to go to another facility to help with something today. I could have done it remotely, but it's one of those things where I was helping people and being onsite is just easier.

I'm in my office now. I looked at my phone logs, and the last call I placed from my physical phone was on 8/20/20. I will be leaving the office shortly.

If places are going fully remote, they need to be upfront about it. There's a sort of wishy-washiness to it all that makes me think many places would renege and say at 4:30 PM Friday, be back at 8:00 AM Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would do one or two days a week in the office in a different city. The city my office is in was in decline for years before COVID. We moved offices from this city (the worst in the region) to the best city in the region in mid-2019. When we left in 2019, the street the office is on had a daycare, gym, storage facility, and a plastics manufacturer. Other than this office building, which is maybe at 25% occupancy after we left and before COVID, all other businesses on that street are now out of business. That street is nothing but vacant buildings now. They moved us back to the worst city in the area before COVID. I have no interest in coming back here.

I'm not doing a five day a week butt in seat job in a dump of a city like this.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:53 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My company has been pretty vague about this. We've been working from home since March like most other people and the office is closed. No one can go in even if they want to another space to do work at. The president of the company (it's a large institution) said we'll be remote until June 2021 but each dept will do things different it seems. In my particular dept the idea has been thrown out there that we won't return at all and just keep being remote...but then there have been discussions of when we return to in person work. It's also been mentioned that some teams like the video team need to be in the office where as other positions get the same work done at home that they would in the office.

At this point I just want to know what the plan is. I get it that maybe dept heads don't even know what to do...but I wish they'd just make a decision. A survey went out to the dept on what people want do and about 95% of people said they don't want to return to the office. Even the Dean of the dept said he enjoys not having to commute in...but one other dept head said he's not sure about never being in the office. I see both sides....I for one do NOT want to be in the office 5 days a week.
We were originally told that we would not be returning before the end of the school year (end of May). We just got an email today that they will start phasing in a return on March 1.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:59 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
We were originally told that we would not be returning before the end of the school year (end of May). We just got an email today that they will start phasing in a return on March 1.
That is the thing. How do they expect you to make plans for anything when they can't even make up their minds?

As much as I would like to hear SOMETHING, I wouldn't really believe it anyway.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:04 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
It is amazing how we are all different regarding our views of work and life. I have a great job with great benefits and love what I do. There is no way I could get something else this good. At least for me. But WFH is not for me. I cannot bear 8 hours a day alone and in a bedroom. I often wonder how long I can hack this. I cannot imagine doing this year after year.

Had a zoom meeting (ugh - another zoom meeting) that I had to lead today. I made a point to say in front of the big cheeses that I could not wait to get back to the office and that work and communications were performed much more effectively in the office. If there were WFH fans in the meeting, they probably wanted to choke me.

They are remodeling our building, but should be done by late spring. We can go into the office. If everyone else stays WFH, I will go in, just wear my workout clothes, work out at the gym during breaks and do lunges in the hallways, download some great tunes to listen to at my desk. I will go into full fantasy mode and pretend I am a professional athlete/rocker that does my job as a hobby.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
That is the thing. How do they expect you to make plans for anything when they can't even make up their minds?

As much as I would like to hear SOMETHING, I wouldn't really believe it anyway.
I'm not sure what you mean by "make plans". I am working from home as it is. So I will need to get up a little earlier, put on makeup and drive t work. Not sure that really involves too much "making plans" LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment