Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 03:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I can also see issues about coordination between groups. For the same reason a lot can't work from home, they also aren't on line meetings either. So you will still have to have face to face coordination with those groups. An example is engineers and craft workers. It's already easy enough to present something on PowerPoint that can't be built in the field. These problems will be exacerbated as management becomes even more disconnected from the field. What looks easy and should only take a few hours from the comfort of home and video chat is very difficult when the wind is blowing 25 knots or you can't actually reach where the part goes because of other parts in the way.
I propose a shoe test if the engineer would be wearing steel toed boots on a given day, then they should be on site for that day. If they would be wearing dress shoes, then they can work from home in slippers instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 04:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most message systems allow each client device to specify a timeout window for "away." I can specify that in Skype for Business. It could also be controlled by group policy, but I doubt a lot of places actually do that.

There are utilities like MouseJiggle that will emulate activity and keep those lights green!

Old 02-08-2021, 04:25 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
. I brought up how closely someone I knew was tracked at the workplace simply because if a company is going to time how long you spend in the restroom at work, they are going to monitor you closely when you are working from home as well.

Which means it wasn't wfh that started the tracking. I also would seek a new job then, long before covid btw.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:05 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
True. Not sure who decided the work week needs to be mon thru Friday 8 to 5. Before the internet I guess being on site was necessary but it simply isn't anymore. Saying face to face is necessary is BS. Plus you can be face to face via zoom.
The 5 day work week is a holdover from the early 20th century when manufacturing dominated the US economy. Henry Ford started it as an innovation over the 6 day work week which was dominant in the 19th century. Back then it was supposedly 6 days of work and then church on the 7th day, no time for any fun.

I wished the 4-10 hour days took off. That would have been a natural progression: 19th century work six days a week, 20th century work five days a week and 21st century work four days a week.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:18 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Yes I actually read an article Saying how the work week hasn't changed a bit since the 1920s. And many women didn't really start working until the 50s and 60s. The pandemic had made employers take a look at the work week and why it is the way it is.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:25 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes I actually read an article Saying how the work week hasn't changed a bit since the 1920s. And many women didn't really start working until the 50s and 60s. The pandemic had made employers take a look at the work week and why it is the way it is.
I was talking to some people this week regarding the work week and I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle for a lot of fields. If this situation had gone on for a short period, I don't think people would have cared that much about returning to normal, but a year out is a long time.

I've had two recruiters contact me about onsite only jobs this week in states that are still under heavy restrictions. There's no way I'm going to entertain that at this point.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:41 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was talking to some people this week regarding the work week and I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle for a lot of fields. If this situation had gone on for a short period, I don't think people would have cared that much about returning to normal, but a year out is a long time.

I've had two recruiters contact me about onsite only jobs this week in states that are still under heavy restrictions. There's no way I'm going to entertain that at this point.
Yeah we had meeting yesterday where people talked about things that went well the past year and not so well. Many unit leaders said remote work has been a challenge, particularly when trying to interview people for videos. It's hard to explain here but basically our media team would go to hospitals to interview patients and drs. It's a very niche group but yes i can see where they had some trouble getting filming done and perhaps when it's safe they should be in the office. doesnt mean the rest of us should have to be though.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:54 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
The 5 day work week is a holdover from the early 20th century when manufacturing dominated the US economy. Henry Ford started it as an innovation over the 6 day work week which was dominant in the 19th century. Back then it was supposedly 6 days of work and then church on the 7th day, no time for any fun.

I wished the 4-10 hour days took off. That would have been a natural progression: 19th century work six days a week, 20th century work five days a week and 21st century work four days a week.
The real improvement, and what was envisioned in the early days of automation would be going to 4-8 hour days. The idea was if automation gave a 20% boost in productivity, then people would need to work 20% less to accomplish the same results. And because increased production was needed for a growing population, then the net result would be more people, each working fewer hours but producing more due to the efficiencies gain in productivity.

What happened instead was fewer people working longer hours so that all the gain from productivity increases went to a smaller percentage of the people.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:13 PM

I had another discussion with a colleague about it today and he said he and his boss would both be shocked if everyone returned to the office as we were before. He thinks we will sell off much of our office space and the only people who will go in are the ones who really need to be there. He added, I dont need to be there.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:19 AM

We just had a meeting where many people were complaining about not having interaction with people...despite being on zoom calls frequently. Our dept has many meetings...and has introduced two seperate weekly meeting where anyone can join and chat or have lunch. It's kind of irritating hearing people complain. I kind of feel bad for people that truly feel lonely but what can their employer really do at this point other than set up the meetings that they already have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment