Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 07:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's hard for me to understand why people want to go back to the office. My dept always recognizes people's work anniversaries over slack. On the last one a bunch of people responded saying, yay hopefully we'll be able to celebrate in person soon! i was thinking, if you want to get together so badly just go ahead.

Exactly. Nothing stopping the ones who want to celebrate in person from meeting up. What they meant was they wanted to force everyone to celebrate with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 07:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
I also enjoy the people I work with, they are great...I mean the majority of them are kind, brilliant, compassionate people (I work at a medical school) but it doesn't mean i want to get on the train and commute an hour to see them for 8 hours 5 days a week
If I had to get on a train, I wouldn't want to go into work either. There was one poster a few pages back that gave me some tips and he is from Queens, NY. I remember watching Arial America and seeing the episode about New York state. I saw all the beautiful areas around NYC and the narrator talked about the ferry's and subways people had to take to get to work. I thought to myself it must be very hard to leave that and go for a hassle of a commute to get to work and leave behind the beautiful area.

We live in a suburb, 20 miles away from my work. When we moved temporarily to another city for work, my husband and I found a place to get right on the highway so I could get into work. My commute takes about 15 minutes or so to drive in.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:52 AM

16,297 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Yes I've thought about my commute if I had to go back. I live in Boston and traffic/commuting is just a nightmare here. It's a known fact. Even the dean of my dept said he doesn't miss the commute and he is much closer than i am and would just drive and park in the parking lot (which costs about $200 a month). If i had to go in a few days a week I don't think I would be able to pay for parking and i just dont want to get on a packed train again. We moved further out last spring which was our choice...but it seems that others have moved as far as out of state with the expectation of being able to work remote forever. I do think employers will need to accept that some people will not want to return to the office after all this time of working remote. I simply feel like that those who want to go back should do so, those who want to be remote should be able to as well.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Yes I've thought about my commute if I had to go back. I live in Boston and traffic/commuting is just a nightmare here. It's a known fact. Even the dean of my dept said he doesn't miss the commute and he is much closer than i am and would just drive and park in the parking lot (which costs about $200 a month). If i had to go in a few days a week I don't think I would be able to pay for parking and i just dont want to get on a packed train again. We moved further out last spring which was our choice...but it seems that others have moved as far as out of state with the expectation of being able to work remote forever. I do think employers will need to accept that some people will not want to return to the office after all this time of working remote. I simply feel like that those who want to go back should do so, those who want to be remote should be able to as well.
I can surely see your point. Absolutely! Boston is huge and I dislike huge cities. I live in one of the lesser relevant cities. NYC would be a nightmare. I can see why people from these areas prefer WFH.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:14 AM

Yes. But there are still Boston people who want to go back to the office. I say go for it. Our office is closed, no one can go in. Maybe it's a wanting what you can't have type deal lol.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I read through this thread, and it's fascinating to read different people's reactions to wfh and to the idea of going back to a workplace. I have friends who work from home who love it because they don't have a commute and don't have to dress for work. But some of the wfh people have to have the cameras turned on all day, and are actively monitored to be sure they are working, not doing something else. So there is some sense of privacy lost, and some of their home space lost because they have to have an office space. That has been an issue for people with kids and people who don't have a lot of home space to begin with.

I never got to work from home, even though I have an office job. I think I would love to go to a hybrid model, where I could work from home for a few days, then work in the office a few days. But overall, I am just glad that my job didn't go away during this pandemic. I know people who have lost their jobs, and did all right with the supplement to unemployment (some did better than they did with jobs), but finding a job can be very challenging right now.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:13 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I read through this thread, and it's fascinating to read different people's reactions to wfh and to the idea of going back to a workplace. I have friends who work from home who love it because they don't have a commute and don't have to dress for work. But some of the wfh people have to have the cameras turned on all day, and are actively monitored to be sure they are working, not doing something else. So there is some sense of privacy lost, and some of their home space lost because they have to have an office space. That has been an issue for people with kids and people who don't have a lot of home space to begin with.

I never got to work from home, even though I have an office job. I think I would love to go to a hybrid model, where I could work from home for a few days, then work in the office a few days. But overall, I am just glad that my job didn't go away during this pandemic. I know people who have lost their jobs, and did all right with the supplement to unemployment (some did better than they did with jobs), but finding a job can be very challenging right now.
wow that is crazy. Who are these employers that force employees to have cameras on all day so they can be monitored? That is just wrong....I would not put up with that.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I've never heard a single case of anyone having to have cameras on except for maybe during a zoom/teams meeting. Are you sure someone isn't embellishing the story?

Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've never heard a single case of anyone having to have cameras on except for maybe during a zoom/teams meeting. Are you sure someone isn't embellishing the story?
I am sure. I know someone who went to work for a very large corporation, way before the pandemic, and the company tracked her break times and how often she went to the restroom. There are employers who keep very close tabs on their workers.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I am sure. I know someone who went to work for a very large corporation, way before the pandemic, and the company tracked her break times and how often she went to the restroom. There are employers who keep very close tabs on their workers.

What does that have to do with WFH? Companies like that do the same tracking at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment