Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,930,314 times

Advertisements

Yeah, sure, let this criminal type guy know that you're out there ready to throw money at him and you have the exact same rare name and a vague resemblance to him. You could also send him your Social Security number, date of birth and your mother's maiden name if you want to expedite the chances he may try to take your identity to use as his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 06:38 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,412,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
What can't you simply inform prospective employers of the situation? Doesn't cost and maybe can help you build rapport with them. Include a photo of yourself in your resume and in emails, etc. Add links to your social media accounts that feature photos of you. That way they can see you are a different individual. I wouldn't approach the guy.
Personally, I wouldn't do a thing about it or bring it to anyone's attention. Because any company that is looking on the internet to glean more information about me is no place I'd want to work. What a complete waste of time. If they want to eliminate you from further consideration for a position, they have 100 other ways to do that, and don't need to look at a hodgepodge of disjointed data on the internet which might not even be you.

Here is what might be this person's picture on the internet.
Here is what might be this person's picture on the internet with their dog.
Here is what might be this person's picture on the internet next to a classic car.

What useless information about determining if someone should be a Candidate for a position.

Oh, look, this person has a dog. I'm a cat person. I am going to eliminate them from consideration.

Oh, look, this person likes cars, they should be praising public transportation instead. I am going to eliminate them from consideration.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:12 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,628,713 times
this is like michael bolton in office space.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:58 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,433,494 times
Don't contact the criminal with the same name nor offer him any money.

If it's any consolation, I worked with someone who had the same name as a convicted pedophile. That was not him, of course, but same exact name and same state, but that didn't prevent him from getting jobs.

Now I work with someone who has the same name as a renowned serial killer. He still got hired anyways.

Try to forget about this other person with your same name.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,536 posts, read 6,363,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yeah, sure, let this criminal type guy know that you're out there ready to throw money at him and you have the exact same rare name and a vague resemblance to him. You could also send him your Social Security number, date of birth and your mother's maiden name if you want to expedite the chances he may try to take your identity to use as his own.
I agree totally. Youre asking for trouble. No contact.

What you can do is drown him out with new stuff about you. Search engines always put new content at the top. Newest items will show up on the first pages when someone searches for your name. Post lots of positive comments and pictures. His posts will still be there but now they will be on page 147. Most people are lazy. They only look at the first few pages when they do a google search.

Do this across all social media. Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr, Instagram, Google Plus, About.me , etc. If you dont belong then join. Get a photo account and add your name to all the photos you post. Even ones that are not you. Post a picture of your neighbors dog and add your name to it.

Have your friends tag you in photos. If they want to help they can post things and list your name. Tag yourself in photos that others post. Write informative letters to community or alumni newsletters. Sign your name. All those mentions will eventually show up online.

Post your problem in the internet forum. Someone over there might have some better suggestions. Im not very internet savvy so I probably missed something.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:09 PM

17,929 posts, read 13,736,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynewyork View Post
If I google my name (very very rare in English), his totally unemployable selfies on his SoundCloud are ranked #1. I am concerned because I am a job seeker.

I found his phone number just by googling a bit. He also has some criminal records like lots of traffic violations and weed.

Is it a good idea to contact him by this phone number, offer him $300 to ask him to delete those images? He doesn't seem to be actively using his SoundCloud account now. He's in his 30s. And I am thinking of giving him $100 in advance, and tell him the remaining money will be sent after he deletes them. He may ask for more money, and I am OK with doing some negotiation and pay more.

Noooooooooooooo! All you will do is encourage him to keep extorting you in the future

I have a VERY uncommon name and found 4 people online with same name. I contacted them because of trying to find relatives. Non had any common relatives with me

Old 08-09-2020, 12:50 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,643,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do a thing about it or bring it to anyone's attention. Because any company that is looking on the internet to glean more information about me is no place I'd want to work. What a complete waste of time. If they want to eliminate you from further consideration for a position, they have 100 other ways to do that, and don't need to look at a hodgepodge of disjointed data on the internet which might not even be you.
. . .
I don't disagree with that. I still think a photo with resume may relieve the OP's fears. The rest of your post . . . blah blah blah.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:54 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,643,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Noooooooooooooo! All you will do is encourage him to keep extorting you in the future

I have a VERY uncommon name and found 4 people online with same name. I contacted them because of trying to find relatives. Non had any common relatives with me
I have a fairly common name. Or should I say a FAIRLY common? J/k I do that too, caps to emphasize. Anyway . . .with middle name or other identifying features it helps specify who is who. Could OP add a middle name or family name (some cultures use the mother's surname, too), or a nickname to differentiate himself?

Old 08-09-2020, 01:12 PM

23,958 posts, read 33,941,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I have a fairly common name. Or should I say a FAIRLY common? J/k I do that too, caps to emphasize. Anyway . . .with middle name or other identifying features it helps specify who is who. Could OP add a middle name or family name (some cultures use the mother's surname, too), or a nickname to differentiate himself?
You could do ALL CAPS and bold or you can add some bold red to get your point across

Old 08-09-2020, 01:46 PM

17,781 posts, read 22,573,438 times
Whats the name? His, not yours of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment