Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I totally agree w/ the above!

BTW, do you know how many people probably have names such as John Smith OR Tim Robbins & are around the same age w/ brown hair & brown eyes & probably look similar? There's nothing people can do about those people either.
I was working one line of my son's family tree, His great grandfather shared the name with a few others living in the same town, one had the same year of birth. It was the same for his 2 brothers, there were a few named the same with at least one being born the same year in the same town. I don't doubt they're all related too and those are family 1st names. I haven't gotten passed his great grandfather's parents to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:40 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
Honestly in my opnion and summarizing... do not contact this guy, you don't know him and you may be in trouble. I wouldn't trust in someone matching your description, is a terrible idea... odds are you will have more problems than solving anything.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:54 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynewyork View Post
This is a genuine post. I am seriously posting because some people who did not meet me actually said he somewhat looked like me.

I am wondering if a guy in his 30s will accept the offer (he may call higher price, which is fine with me as long as it's not too expensive).
Let's say your name is Bobubobubobů Greshovūshłęķ and there's only 5 of you in the world.

You're probably screwed.

But if your name is Mikhail Ivanov or Juan Carlos then no. It is unreasonable and any logical person should not assume that you are the only Russian or Latino with these respective names.

If you are in a small town that is not diverse or doesn't have people in your ethnic group it could be more of an issue. Move to a bigger city where intelligence levels and baseline cultural competence is higher and people will not assume its you.

I am fortunate enough that my name is carried by at least 100,000 other Americans and British. My grandfather had the foresight to give my Father a standard Anglo American name which has benefitted me a lot in life, despite being Black American. Even when people see me in person they already pre-judge by my name that I am probably a reasonable person.

I am sure there are criminals with my name but there are famous actors and politicians with the same name as well.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynewyork View Post
If I google my name (very very rare in English), his totally unemployable selfies on his SoundCloud are ranked #1. I am concerned because I am a job seeker.

I found his phone number just by googling a bit. He also has some criminal records like lots of traffic violations and weed.

Is it a good idea to contact him by this phone number, offer him $300 to ask him to delete those images? He doesn't seem to be actively using his SoundCloud account now. He's in his 30s. And I am thinking of giving him $100 in advance, and tell him the remaining money will be sent after he deletes them. He may ask for more money, and I am OK with doing some negotiation and pay more.

And then, after he gets his $300, he puts all his pictures right back up? Does not seem like a good idea to me.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:32 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
I don't know anything about this but my sense about it is that any contact with this person is a bad idea. If you exchange any messages you can established a traceable connection.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:26 PM

111 posts, read 47,280 times
Why not change the spelling of your name, if not officially/legally then at least on resumes, on social media, etc.? Like Barbra Streisand--very early on she started writing her name as "Barbra" instead of "Barbara", her given name. I know someone who went through a phase of spelling her first name as "Amie", instead her given name of "Amy."

Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Another good idea. Does he have the same middle name as you, OP? That would be the easiest way to solve the problem.
I agree to start adding your middle name or middle name initial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I totally agree w/ the above!

BTW, do you know how many people probably have names such as John Smith OR Tim Robbins & are around the same age w/ brown hair & brown eyes & probably look similar? There's nothing people can do about those people either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was working one line of my son's family tree, His great grandfather shared the name with a few others living in the same town, one had the same year of birth. It was the same for his 2 brothers, there were a few named the same with at least one being born the same year in the same town. I don't doubt they're all related too and those are family 1st names. I haven't gotten passed his great grandfather's parents to check.

Right, you're adding to my point! I gave a couple of random examples of very common names & even said that many of them probably looked similar in physical appearance too. Many could be of similar age too.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaladane714 View Post
Why not change the spelling of your name, if not officially/legally then at least on resumes, on social media, etc.? Like Barbra Streisand--very early on she started writing her name as "Barbra" instead of "Barbara", her given name. I know someone who went through a phase of spelling her first name as "Amie", instead her given name of "Amy."
That's a stage name. To legally change your name because you have the same name of someone you think would reflect badly on you, just on the off-chance a very mediocre company would actually care, is really misguided. The OP is trying to solve a problem which doesn't actually exist.

You want a job, then increase your network and deal with the hiring manager directly instead of these imaginary and other concerns about HR. I would be far more concerned that HR skips over your resume because they don't know their job than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment