Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 AM

3,879 posts, read 2,418,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I don't disagree with that. I still think a photo with resume may relieve the OP's fears. The rest of your post . . . blah blah blah.
Hey! The blah blah blah, was the best part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 01:44 AM

3,879 posts, read 2,418,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
this is like michael bolton in office space.
"I celebrate his entire catalog".

Old 08-10-2020, 06:26 AM

6,834 posts, read 10,655,591 times
No, instead make your own online presence. Set up a Linkedin account, for example.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:41 AM

15,790 posts, read 9,695,056 times
If no one has mentioned it, send a nice headshot of yourself with each resume you send out. That should end any doubt that you and he might be the same person

Old 08-10-2020, 08:48 AM

15,790 posts, read 9,695,056 times
On the other hand, I share the exact same name (first, middle and last) as someone in my small hometown. Apparently that guy has run afoul of the law in hs past, but I have always had good luck finding jobs in my area regardless. I saw him walking down the road one time with a walker and a missing leg, so I stopped and gave him a ride. As some people here knkow, I am also now missing a leg. That's pretty odd right there

Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,436,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
On the other hand, I share the exact same name (first, middle and last) as someone in my small hometown. Apparently that guy has run afoul of the law in hs past, but I have always had good luck finding jobs in my area regardless. I saw him walking down the road one time with a walker and a missing leg, so I stopped and gave him a ride. As some people here knkow, I am also now missing a leg. That's pretty odd right there
Wait, two guys with the same name in the same small town and both missing a leg? That is pretty amazing.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:53 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,486,404 times
Don't contact the person and just move forward making yourself a better candidate.

There are lazy people that will search Google, Facebook, etc. for information about you. You can't control that. Just make sure your image is clean.

I have the exact same name - first, last, and middle as a drug dealer that killed a pimp. I am fairly sure it has cost me at least one job in the past.

My adjustment is I will not take any future jobs in that state, and I will avoid going for future clearance jobs. I was told of this other individual when I had a clearance, and the person did state they will be people that may search for such things in the future and just reject, and not even talk. I don't want to have my future tied up on the whim of somebody else that I don't work with making arbitrary decisions.

Even though on my current job, I was required a fingerprint and FBI check, I know not to rely on the competence of anybody you don't know between you and putting food on the table.

Major corporations will check your background and social media, etc. and rescind offers without telling you.

That's just reality. Just make yourself different in a positive way. Further education, achievements, positive posts, etc.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:07 PM

102,535 posts, read 109,253,528 times
OP, trying to do "business" with a criminal is a very bad idea. The situation could spin out of control any number of ways.

You'd be MUCH better off simply going to court to get a change of spelling of your name approved. Filing the paperwork and paying the fees will cost you less than what you're willing to offer now. All you'd need to do to solve the problem is change one or two letters of your name. Then, of course, you'd have to get a new driver's license, change your account name at the bank, get a new credit card, inform your insurers, etc. But still, that. would be the strategy that would keep you safe, physically and professionally. Getting an official name change/spelling change isn't a big deal.

Don't open yourself up to a criminal, OP. Stay safe.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,552,948 times
Don't give him money. Put your picture on your LinkedIn account. Put the link to your LinkedIn page on your resume, which you should be doing anyway. Anyone who does a broad internet search will realize it's not the same person.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 PM

12,882 posts, read 15,252,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you want to waste your money, go ahead. There is no guarantee he won't take the money & run. If he does not share your bday & SS number ( as previously posted) I don't think you need to worry.
I totally agree w/ the above!

BTW, do you know how many people probably have names such as John Smith OR Tim Robbins & are around the same age w/ brown hair & brown eyes & probably look similar? There's nothing people can do about those people either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment